Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DriveImage XML. Freeware imaging (Read 29247 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: DriveImage XML. Freeware imaging
Reply #15 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 3:01pm

Steve,

Copying directly from drive to drive in Windows, cloning, is one of the most error prone procedures of imaging software. There are lots of places where you can make mistakes and then the new OS won't boot. I haven't tried cloning with DriveImage XML so I don't know its quirks.

The good thing about cloning is that the source partition, the 9 GB HD, isn't altered so that if something goes wrong you simply start again. Microsoft activation shouldn't be needed when using the cloned HD.

What you have outlined should work in theory but maybe not in practice. What you should do is test your current clone. Remove the 9 GB HD and install the 40 GB HD as master. If it boots, great, use that technique. If it doesn't boot then I'd use the Partition Magic technique as it's almost infallible.

If you do use DriveImage XML to clone the 9 GB HD to the 80 GB HD then make sure you remove the 9 GB HD from your computer before allowing the 80 GB HD to boot for the first time. Also, don't clone into a partition. Clone into Unallocated Space.

Let us know what happens either way.

IP Logged

tomkk
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 11:33am

DriveImage seems very useful but I'm having a problem imaging C:. Imaging any drive other than C: works fine. When I try to image C:, the drive cannot be locked and it attempts to init Windows Volume Shadow Service and that generates an error "Could not initialize VSS Error code 80042318. I've tried all the suggestions in the help file and Runtime's website without effect. VSSVC.EXE is running. MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service is started and can be stopped and restarted. I have reregistered oleaut32.dll. My system has no oleaut.dll and have been unable to find a copy of it so I can't try registering that. All drives are NTFS. Running WinXP Pro SP2 with all updates.

Runtime SW, unfortunately, doesn't support their free SW and will not provide any help.

This seems to be a truly useful tool and I'd appreciate any ideas that I can try.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 2:14pm

tomkk,

Have you tried running DriveImage XML from a BartPE CD to image your C: drive? That should get around the C: drive locking issue. It's a less convenient way to run the app than from Windows but if you can't image your C: drive (either way) then the app is useless.

You need to have a BartPE CD anyway for a C: drive restore.

IP Logged

SWondra
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:52pm

Altho I planned to describe attempts to use DI XML to test if it would satisfactorily copy old 6GB master contents to new 80GB slave contents before replacing the former with the latter, I found that the procedure and "Data Lifeguard Tools" on the CD accompanying the Wester Digital 80GB HD essentially successfully accomplished the same goal.  Grin Grin

After all of your  help, I feel bad at not carrying out and reporting on the DriveImage XML experiment but I wanted to express my appreciation while reporting that I had to spend a lot of time getting my six computers hooked up to DSL (knowing nothing about Ethernet, etc.) and wrenching my back lifting this heavy old computer while swapping cables, drives, etc.

You might nevertheless like to know some associated pluses and minuses:

You DO have to use the cable provided (apparently double the 40 wires in the old cable). You remove the old slave drive temporarily, install the new one with slave pin positioning but don't connect the cable/power yet.  First, you run the CD and follow the procedures and, after reconnecting, except for a few glitches (below) I found the "whole" of drive 0's contents were copied to the new drive temporarily in drive 1.

THE NEAT THING (major goal I wanted to accomplish) was to update about 35 to 50 MB of Security and other updates BEFORE the Image copy, and installing DSL first made this happen. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Essentially the same procedures as I planned with DriveImage XML were used: After making an image of the system 6GB on to the temporary slave, I removed the former and installed the latter as Drive 0 (after changing the jumper to "master" position).

The minuses:

Although not the fault of the tools (and in fact forewarned by the instructions), the darned old BIOS (Phoenix Tech LTD 6.00, 5/14/98; SMBIO ver. 2.0) would only read about half of the 80GB.  I found HP's support site not productive re any available BIOS upgrades or referrals to anyone else if HP offered none.

Another miss/mess: I had two older Symantec Apps that I still used: (1) Norton System Works 2003 whose defrag and quick cleanup I still find fine; and (2) a Norton AntiVirus 2005 which had been updated online, good until 3/07.  Shocked Angry  NONE of these survived the drive image transfer.

After mucking around a lot and failing to re-install (I don't find Symantec's support friendly), I learned that there is a new-to- me "delete thingy" which seems to kill everything Norton, from today back to the bronze age.  This permitted a reinstallation of BOTH since I save every darned CD and confirmation sheet and not only did the reinstallations work, but Symantec issued a "courtesy" subscription extension  for a whole year.

This salvaged some of my pique since, although I don't see it yet, I believe there will be some means of buying antivirus, etc. updates for a pricing to cover three PC's at near the price of one. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and "Ahl be bek".

Steve

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 6:00pm

RE:  "a pricing to cover three PC's at near the price of one"

SWondra, a single purchase of Norton Internet Security 2007 allows the user to install and run the application on three PCs (see this article), and I believe the same is also now true for Norton AntiVirus.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print