Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Blue Screen and Reboot after Ghost 10 Install (Read 19690 times)
huntnyc
Gnarly

Blue Screen and Reboot after Ghost 10 Install
Oct 22nd, 2005 at 4:29pm

Really wanted to use Ghots 10 for its convenience in Win XP SP2 but after installing on my notebook, I got a blue screen that caused me to have to continuously reboot.  However, when I removed my Lexar Jump Drive, it seemed to start Windows fine.  I did a test image and restored it but the problem after the install has got me jumpy.

Anyone else discovered this situation and any solutions and thanks.

Gary

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Re: Blue Screen and Reboot after Ghost 10 Install
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 12:35pm

Huntnyc, I would recommend the standard procedure of uninstalling and installing Ghost 10.0 again.  Sometimes, for whatever reason, this helps.

Also, one of the techniques listed in Symantec Knowledge Base document ID 2005092311012413 may be applicable.

IP Logged

huntnyc
Gnarly

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 8:04pm

Thanks and I got it to install once and made an image of my system drive.  Restored the image from recovery CD and then when rebooted got the blue screen again saying windows is shutting down because of problems.  It just seems unstable to me at this time.  Don't seem to have any problems when imaging outside of windows though using other programs.

Gary

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 8:36pm

Gary,

I'm not clear on what is happening. Does Ghost 10 work OK if the Jump Drive isn't connected?

IP Logged

huntnyc
Gnarly

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 8:44pm

I just tested that a couple of times and yes it seemed to but I cannot verify if that would be true all the time of course.

The last time I installed Ghost it did fine and rebooted back into windows after the install even with the Jump drive there.  But when I created an image of C drive and restored that from Recovery CD, then after rebooting, the blue screen again I think maybe both with and without jump drive connected.  Don't know really what could be happening but I really wanted to use Ghost for its Windows features.  Thanks again.

Gary

IP Logged

huntnyc
Gnarly

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 4:21pm

Just wanted to let all know that Ghost 10 seems to be working fine for me now.  I don't know what I did differently but so far no more blue screens when Windows starts.  Hope this continues.  Thanks again.

Gary

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 5:33pm

Thanks for the feedback, Gary.

IP Logged

huntnyc
Gnarly

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 4:53pm

Just a final report in that I was rebooting today and got the continous reboot from running into blue screen before Win XP Pro SP2 could start.  So I guess it is some type of conflict with some of my hardware and possibly Ghost 10.  With Ghost 10 not installed, I never have gotten that type of problem so far.  Thanks again for your help.  May come back to Ghost later but need to be able to run it without these conflicts.  Glad it does work for so many though.

Gary

IP Logged

James Ashby

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 3:02am

huntnyc wrote on Oct 29th, 2005 at 4:53pm:
Just a final report in that I was rebooting today and got the continous reboot from running into blue screen before Win XP Pro SP2 could start.  So I guess it is some type of conflict with some of my hardware and possibly Ghost 10.  With Ghost 10 not installed, I never have gotten that type of problem so far.  Thanks again for your help.  May come back to Ghost later but need to be able to run it without these conflicts.  Glad it does work for so many though.

Gary

Welcome to the club, Gary. 

Norton Ghost 10 seems to have been directly responsible for needing my most recent XP re-install.  After attempting to use it, not getting full functionality, removing it from the system, trying Ghost 2003, and then removign that from my system, things went down hill fast, until finally the OS died and a fresh re-install was needed.

Skeptical, those of you who adore Norton/Ghost?  Multi-month stable system with no modifications or changes.  Add Ghost. remove Ghost, destroy system.

Seems 10 has some of those nasty habits other forums and this one mention about 9 and causing instability in the OS.

No luck for me, happy for the rest of you.  I still will NEVER recommend the program.  XP's backup ability has everything one needs.

Still having involved conversations with the tech support boys in Bagalore, India (Yeah!  Offshore outsourcing!  Those guys are cooool, though!).  Hope burns ever bright.

No bitterness, just my nickels worth!

Smiley

-J

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 5:14am

James,

I remember your name but can't find your previous posts. Could you post the links?

Sorry to hear of your problems.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 12:48pm

Huntnyc, the unfortunate problems experienced by James appear to be due to some unknown hardware conflict:  his PC is 'home built' rather than an 'off-the-shelf' standard, and could neither successfully run Ghost 2003 nor Ghost 10.0.

Are you too perhaps using a 'unique' hardware configuration?

IP Logged

huntnyc
Gnarly

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 7:54pm

I don't think I am using a unique configuration.  I am running a laptop, Gateway m680 with Pentium M-1.86 chip.  I have a Lexar Jumpdrive, HP Laserjet 2300 printer, Canoscan scanner and external USB HD enclosure plugged into my USB ports.  I really wanted to use Ghost 10 and find its scheduling capabilities superior to other programs but I have returned it to Amazon for now.  Will reorder it again if I think I can get around this problem.

Do you think this configuration sounds funny?  Do I need to take a screen capture of my strartup programs for you?  Would that help?  Thanks so much.

Gary

IP Logged

James Ashby

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 1:59am

Brian wrote on Oct 30th, 2005 at 5:14am:
James,

I remember your name but can't find your previous posts. Could you post the links?

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Heya Brian!

Link to that conversation is:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11282...

Sorry for lack of update from the final post in that thread.  My OS finally died a horrible death shortly after that post and my curiosity to find out what would happen if i un-installed Ghost 2003.  Curiosity killed the . . .

A re-install was in order, minus any Symantec products.

Needless to say, stability has reigned. 

Since then, I have been using XP's Backup Utility for flawless performance.  It seems to make sense to use the Backup Utility that is included with the OS, eh?

As I mentioned, clever minds in India are grinding away in sweaty rooms night and day, attempting to solve my problem.  Or, so I would like to think.  Tech service and I correspond about once a week.  "Satisfactory results have yet to be forthcoming . . ."

Keep ya'll posted!

Appologies for cross-posting and being off topic in multiple threads - - the topic about Ghost 10 I started in a Ghost 9 thread and here I am glomming onto this one with no remorse.  I am an administrator's nightmare.

-J

-J

IP Logged

James Ashby

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 2:08am

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 30th, 2005 at 12:48pm:
Huntnyc, the unfortunate problems experienced by James appear to be due to some unknown hardware conflict:  his PC is 'home built' rather than an 'off-the-shelf' standard, and could neither successfully run Ghost 2003 nor Ghost 10.0.

Are you too perhaps using a 'unique' hardware configuration?

/dryly
/Britishaccent

With all due respect, my good sire . . .

For the record, all of the parts in this "home-built" machine are easily obtainable "off-the-shelf" and, presumably, built to industry standards that Symantec has access to.

I won't let you get away with that as a defense of Symantec and what I see as a poorly built product!

Time will tell, but the incompatibilities are beginning to show up here and there.

For the record, and in you credit, however, I talked with others who posess my same machine, and they were having success with Ghost 9 and the boot from Recovery CD.  None of the cowards dare try version 10 . . .

http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx?catid=43&threadid=84652&enterthread=y

. . . or, just as likely (but less dramatic and entertaining), have not purchased it.

Further fuel for your fire, I RMA'd the motherboard this week.  I await, like a dog longing for its master, at the return of my over-priced, underperforming product.

I shoulda gotten into hotrods, tattos, or professional wrestling.  This damn computer hobby is a pit!  Smiley

-J

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 2:22am

Quote:
Since then, I have been using XP's Backup Utility for flawless performance.  It seems to make sense to use the Backup Utility that is included with the OS, eh?

James, I thought it was just a data backup prog. I don't think it will restore your system partition if there is a disaster.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print