Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help With New Drive (Read 24548 times)
WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Help With New Drive
Oct 26th, 2005 at 7:30pm

I have a Dell 8400 XP Pro. It has a 160 GB. Seagate SATA drive. I bought another Seagate 160 GB drive and a Kingwin External enclosure for the SATA drive. It is connected to one of the SATA connectors on the system board. I have an adapter that plugs into the board and has a connector on the rear of the computer. The cable that came with the enclosure connects the two. I got everythig set up and went to My Computer and turned on the power to the enclosure and expected to see the drive indicated on MY Computer, but nothing happened. I plan to backup my computer to the drive with Ghost 2003. What do I need to do? Please help.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Help With New Drive
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 7:45pm

WilliamP

Have you re-booted since you hooked the enclosure up?

During boot--enter your BIOS and make sure it is being detected by the BIOS.

Let us know if that helped.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

DaddyO
Radmeister

Oh, brother.

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 7:47pm

Can you see the drive in Windows? Normal Windows explorer?

Is the drive partitioned/formatted?

Do you have links to the products you are using?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 7:52pm

NightOwl wrote on Oct 26th, 2005 at 7:45pm:
During boot--enter your BIOS and make sure it is being detected by the BIOS.

WilliamP,

I have a Dell 8400 too. In your BIOS make sure the drive is set to ON.

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 9:06pm

The drive has not been formatted yet .  Let me get some things straight. I had planned to only power up the enclosure when I was going to Ghost an Image to it or do something with it. Now first off ,will that work? If it will, then do I need to reboot with power on the enclosure ,enter BIOS and get it to recognize the new drive,then formatt it?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 9:14pm

Quote:
  I had planned to only power up the enclosure when I was going to Ghost an Image to it or do something with it. Now first off ,will that work?

Yes

Quote:
do I need to reboot with power on the enclosure ,enter BIOS and get it to recognize the new drive,then formatt it

Yes. You can't see the HD in Windows Explorer until it's been partitioned.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 9:59pm

you can use disk management in win xp to initialize, partition, and format the drive without having to reboot. of course bios will have to detect it first before windows can see it.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 8:20pm

Thank you all for the help. I will try to get BIOS set up this week end.  I have to work for a living. I want to have the time in case I run into trouble.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 10:53pm

WilliamP wrote on Oct 26th, 2005 at 7:30pm:
"... It has a 160 GB Seagate SATA drive.  I bought another Seagate 160 GB drive and a Kingwin External enclosure for the SATA drive. It is connected to one of the SATA connectors on the system board. I have an adapter that plugs into the board and has a connector on the rear of the computer. The cable that came with the enclosure connects the two..."

Before tampering with your BIOS, make absolutely sure that the physical HDD containing your OS - logical Drive C: - is connected to the lowest-order SATA port (probably '0', but possibly '1').  Then, connect the external Kingwin enclosure to the SATA port with the next ascending numeric sequence.

Be advised that external HDDs connected via USB and FireWire are categorized as external devices by your system, but despite its proximity and its independent power supply your SATA-connected device is categorized as being internal.  Were you to perform a Clone procedure with Norton Ghost 2003 (prudently using Pesky's Trick I would hope), you can boot from the external SATA HDD enclosure by simply routing the Kingwin to the low-order SATA port after disconnecting the onboard SATA HDD.

WilliamP wrote on Oct 26th, 2005 at 9:06pm:
"... I had planned to only power up the enclosure when I was going to Ghost an Image to it or do something with it.  Now first off ,will that work?  If it will, then do I need to reboot with power on the enclosure, enter BIOS and get it to recognize the new drive, then format it?

Once you have initiated the BIOS to recognize the SATA HDD mounted in the powered-up external enclosure, whenever the external SATA device is not both connected and powered up in future boot iterations you simply perform a bypass by pressing the F1 key when the system cannot find the missing SATA HDD.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 6:27pm

What do you mean about Pesky's trick? Also from what you said, once I have it set up ,everytime I boot it will look for the drive and I will have to hit F1 so it will contiue?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 7:21pm

WilliamP wrote on Oct 28th, 2005 at 6:27pm:
"... What do you mean about Pesky's Trick?"

CLICK HERE to view
*Pesky's Trick*
- and while you are over there be sure to vote in the poll right above it ... LOL !!!

Here a few months back, I decided to clone the MASTER 160 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
SATA NCQ HDD
on my Dell Dimension 8300 to a 160 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
IDE HDD
mounted in a Metal Gear Box combo USB 2.0/SATA external enclosure kit via USB 2.0 - and you can bet that I used my eponymous "trick".  Before I removed the non-bootable removable media to reboot in XP Pro, I definitely turned off the power to the Metal Gear Box.

Be advised that Norton Ghost 2003 is quite friendly with the Metal Gear Box in USB 2.0 mode but it is very tricky - nay, hostile - with SATA because the IDE-to-SATA bridge causes CRC32 errors during Restores and Integrity Checks.  

WilliamP wrote on Oct 28th, 2005 at 6:27pm:
"... Also from what you said, once I have it set up, everytime I boot it will look for the drive and I will have to hit F1 so it will continue?"

That is what my Dell 8300 requires.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 9:25pm

El_Pescador in your last post you mentioned the IDE to SATA bridge. Mine will be the same as Ghosting two internal SATA drives. Is there any problems with that?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 7:52am

WilliamP wrote on Oct 28th, 2005 at 9:25pm:
"... you mentioned the IDE to SATA bridge.  Mine will be the same as Ghosting two internal SATA drives.  Is there any problems with that?"

The beauty of your rig is that - not only do you lack an IDE-to-SATA bridge to consider - you do not have any bridge within your external enclosure to consider.  The IDE-to-USB2 bridges incorporated into external HDDs and external enclosure kits can often be quite troubling for users of Norton Ghost 2003, and even on rare occasion so can the IDE-to-FireWire bridges.

Mounting an IDE HDD in a combo USB2/SATA Metal Gear Box allows communication in the SATA mode at rates approaching that of a pure SATA-to-SATA rig like yours, but it fails miserably with both the Windows-to-DOS-to-Windows and the DOS-to-Windows procedures required by Norton Ghost 2003.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 7:15pm

El_Pescador, I have read Pesk'y Trick and I don't understand step 4 unless the source drive is being replaced by the new image drive. Is that correct?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 2:49am

WilliamP wrote on Oct 29th, 2005 at 7:15pm:
"... I don't understand step 4 unless the source drive is being replaced by the new image drive.  Is that correct?"

El_Pescador wrote on Oct 27th, 2005 at 10:53pm:
"... Were you to perform a Clone procedure with Norton Ghost 2003 (prudently using Pesky's Trick I would hope), you can boot from the external SATA HDD enclosure by simply routing the Kingwin to the low-order SATA port after disconnecting the onboard SATA HDD..."

El_Pescador wrote on May 28th, 2005 at 6:56pm:
"... Before performing a Norton Ghost 2003
"disk-to-disk" Advanced Clone
, consider the following procedure as a "failsafe" measure to avoid rebooting with two bootable HDDs available - sometimes doing that can cause a real headache..."

Quite correct; were I in your shoes, I would regularly perform a Norton Ghost 2003
"disk-to-image" Basic Backup
on the external SATA HDD as opposed to a
"disk-to-disk" Advanced Clone

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print