Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help With New Drive (Read 24550 times)
WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Help With New Drive
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 6:12pm

I have been reading these posts and I do appreciate your help. I have some questions. First is, you have mentioned a backup image ,cloneing. and disk to image basic backup. Is there really a difference   or are  they the same? What I want is a duplicate image of my system on my second drive and the ability to update that drive to keep it current. Second question is how should I treat the second drive after setting it up. If I'm correct it should not have the power turned on when booting. Will it be ok to be connected and the power off. After booting the computer and the power is then  turned on to the second drive will the computer recognize the drive. Thank you for the help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 6:28pm

WilliamP,

What imaging software do you plan to use?

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 8:57pm

I will use Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 9:18pm

WilliamP wrote on Oct 26th, 2005 at 7:30pm:
"... I plan to backup my computer to the drive with Ghost 2003..."

All of my responses below are strictly in the context of Norton Ghost 2003.

El_Pescador wrote on Oct 30th, 2005 at 2:49am:
"... were I in your shoes, I would regularly perform a Norton Ghost 2003
"disk-to-image" Basic Backup
on the external SATA HDD as opposed to a
"disk-to-disk" Advanced Clone

WilliamP wrote on Nov 3rd, 2005 at 6:12pm:
"... you have mentioned a backup image, cloning and disk-to-image basic backup. Is there really a difference or are they the same?.."

In my world, there are two kinds of Norton Ghost 2003 Basic Backups: (1) the "disk-to-image" Backup; and (2) the "partition-to-image" Backup.  On the other hand, I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around a "partition-to-partition" Advanced Clone.

"... What I want is a duplicate image of my system on my second drive and the ability to update that drive to keep it current..."

By "duplicate image of my system", do you mean: (1) the source image from which your HDD can be faithfully reconstructed with a Norton Ghost 2003 Basic Restore; or (2) a "bolt-for-bolt" copy that can be physically substituted for your MASTER HDD in the form of a "disk-to-disk" Advanced Clone?

"... Second question is how should I treat the second drive after setting it up. If I'm correct it should not have the power turned on when booting. Will it be ok to be connected and the power off..."

Yes.

"... After booting the computer and the power is then turned on to the second drive will the computer recognize the drive..."

To do so comes under the heading of "hot-swapping" like USB.  Although I have seen commentary posted in online reviews that it does work with SATA External HDDs, it has never worked for me - and frankly, I don't care for the notion even if it ever had.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 6:27pm

Hi El_Pescador, By "duplicate image of my hard drive " what I guess I am looking for is a" Disk- to- Disk" Clone. What I wanted to do was be able to pull out the old drive and install the new one and bootup and have everything as it was . I want to be able to Clone the drive and keep it updated. If that is possible.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #20 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 11:25am

WilliamP wrote on Nov 4th, 2005 at 6:27pm:
"... I am looking for a" Disk-to-Disk" Clone.  What I wanted to do was be able to pull out the old drive and install the new one and bootup and have everything as it was..."

As described back upstream, external HDDs connected via USB and FireWire are categorized as external devices by your system.  However, despite the nature of its proximity and its independent power supply, your SATA-connected device is categorized as being internal by your system.

Were you to perform a Clone procedure with Norton Ghost 2003 (prudently using Pesky's Trick I would hope), you can boot directly from the external SATA HDD enclosure by simply routing the Kingwin to the low-order SATA port after disconnecting the onboard SATA HDD.  Just for "schitz-und-giggles" if nothing else, you ought to give it a try - be sure to remember the F1 key during bootup.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print