Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re-Cloning with Norton Ghost 2003 (Read 9326 times)
Kwajdog
Ex Member

Re-Cloning with Norton Ghost 2003
Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:06am

Newby here, first post

I just bought Ghost 2003 and it won't work with my USB 2.0 Maxtor external HDD  Even tho Symantec tech article says it will if I upgrade to Version 793.   I started with ver 793 and it still wont work.

If I buy and install a second internal HDD and Clone my primary WinXP HDD, How can I go back and re-clone for weekly or monthly backups it it's impossible to boot XP with two identical HDD's & volume labels Undecided

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Re-Cloning with Norton Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:04am

Quote:
"... How can I go back and
re-clone
for weekly or monthly backups it it's impossible to boot XP with two identical HDD's & volume labels..."

Sometimes folks start off using the term
'clone'
when what they really want to accomplish is better done with a "disk-to-image" Norton Ghost 2003
Backup
.  Check out the thread below in its entirety (including links) to see if this might be the case here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11251...

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Kwajdog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:43am

No, El Pescador, I really meant CLONE.  For us non-techno geeks, all these USB quirks are way beyond me.

I thought it would be much easier to CLONE to an internal HDD skip all the USB mess.

If my primary HDD should fail, I would like to just plug in my CLONE HDD and keep going.  BUT, I would need to keep my Backup HDD up to date with frequent cloning.

So I repeat the question, how can I do multiple cloning using the same source and target HDD's each time, if I can't boot WinXP with two identical HDD's?????

I am not opposed to making an IMAGE on the backup HDD instead of a CLONE, but If my primary HDD fails, how can I restore an IMAGE onto the same HDD that the image is stored on?

Cry

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 11:22am

Hello Kwajdog!

I would;

- buy a mobile rack (e.g. ViPower) and install it in a free 5½" bay connected as primary slave (assuming PATA and not SATA).

- always run Ghost 2003 from the Ghost Boot Disks (no running Windows issues)

- always shut down the computer and NOT let Ghost 2003 reset the computer when the cloning task has been completed

- always remove the clone from the mobile rack prior to restarting the computer and Windows (or at least power off the mobile rack)

- reclone whenever I feel the urge

- when the proverbial shit hits the fan, I would open the case and substitute the clone for the original hard disk

The question is what I would do if it is a software failure and not a hardware failure, not having an Image to restore to the fully functional original hard disk?

Clone the clone to the original? Nope, I would buy a third hard disk for the mobile rack and create Images as well!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:18pm

Quote:
"... how can I do multiple cloning using the same source and target HDD's each time, if I can't boot WinXP with two identical HDD's?..."

Both of my Dell Dimension PCs have SATA Master HDDs and I have two SATA external enclosure kits. Should I choose to perform a Norton Ghost 2003 Advanced Clone, I can either: (1) swap out the SATA cable from the external HDD so as to boot from it right away in situ; or (2) dismount the SATA HDD from the enclosure to physically replace the Master HDD.

For what it is worth, consider modifying
"Pesky's Trick"
in the following manner:

Before performing a Norton Ghost 2003 "disk-to-disk" Advanced Clone, consider the following procedure as a "failsafe" measure to avoid rebooting with two bootable HDDs available - sometimes doing that can cause a real headache:

(1)  Configure your BIOS to set at least one of your onboard bootable drives with removable media as FIRST in the Boot Sequence;

(2)  Whether a 3.5-inch floppy or an optical drive,
stand by
to place formatted but BLANK media in designated drive (and in all the other removable media drives to be on the paranoid - but safe - side);

(3)  Execute the Ghost Clone procedure
and once underway with indication that data is being transferred
, then insert BLANK media in said drive with anticipation of any reboot attempt following completion being stymied by the lack of a system disk; and

(4)  When the clone procedure has been completed, turn off your system - and then with the AC power cord physically disconnected - press the PC start button for six seconds before
removing/disconnecting the Destination HDD
(for you doubters out there, check for any illumination inside your PC case immediately after shutdown).

EP
Cry

P.S. Related thread: http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11303...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print