Send Topic Print
G'day there (Read 3261 times)
al3x
Ex Member

G'day there
Nov 6th, 2005 at 6:34am

G'day everybody *waves*

Hope I got the right forum here Grin

First up, I'd just like to say top effort on the ghost guide. Really tops. Since reading the guide I've started using ghost myself to backup my OS and Games partitions should anything go wrong.

I even took a stab and successfully made a ghost boot cd. Cheers Nightowl.

I joined here because there's a few things I'd like ask you all.

A bit of background first is in order. I work as a Systems Support Officer in a large high school (Australian here - don't quite know what the overseas equivalent is) and I pretty much have to use ghost on a weekly basis to restore PCs that go bad for no apparent reason.

Working with ghost and Novell at the same time sure gets interesting, although painful.

I've gathered a bit of basic knowledge on ghost and how to use it and I was thinking of developing some sort of training session with accompanying user documentation whereby teachers could fix PC's by themselves if I wasn't about and it was really really urgent. Or if I hit a kangaroo on the way to work or something and was mortally wounded and couldn't be there for 4 weeks. Or whatever.

This would also nicely tie in with an assignment that I have to do for TAFE (wich is kind of like the middlepoint between school and university - again, not sure of overseas equivalents). I am NOT asking anyone to do work for me, I'll make that perfectly clear. This is NOT a 'Do my work for me 1st post - help' kind of thing.

I'm looking for input as to what people would like to see in a ghost training session/user docs. I'd ideally like to pitch this to total beginners while still catering for the more advanced users.

Would I be able to use the radified guide as part of the session? I ask as there's pretty much nothing else out there in the way of freely available ghost docs that covers so much as the guide does.

Once agian, top work on the guide. I plan on sticking about and getting to know ghost a bit better.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: G'day there
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 11:58am

Quote:
"... Since reading the guide I've started using ghost myself to backup my OS and Games partitions should anything go wrong ... I pretty much have to use ghost on a weekly basis to restore PCs that go bad for no apparent reason..."

I assume you are referring to the DOS-based Norton Ghost 2003 or equivalent as opposed to the Ghost 9.0 version based on PowerQuest's Drive Image 7.n series.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

al3x
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 9:57pm

yes, I should have mentioned that  Cheesy

I usually work with Ghost 8.0 Enterprise, but I plan on giving a lowdown on Ghost 2003. All DOS based.

No ghosting through Windows at all. I figure that there's less risk doing it this way.

Apologies for the n00bness.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 12:34am

Quote:
"... I usually work with Ghost 8.0 Enterprise, but I plan on giving a lowdown on Ghost 2003.   All DOS based..."

Folks hereabout are most conversant with v2003, but from what I gather there is a marked degree of commonality with Ghost 8.0 Enterprise.  Hopefully, some of them will pop up by and by as my forte' is limited to establishing friendly v2003 relations with external HDDs and external HDD enclosure kits when going either "Windows-to-DOS-to-Windows" or going DOS-based with Ghost 2003 boot diskettes.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print