Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems (Read 160639 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Reply #105 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 2:45am

Quote:
Nonetheless, ghost 9 just saved my butt again last night. 

Good to hear. And more butt saves to come in the future.

IP Logged

Jamcoops

Reply #106 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 1:34pm

Hi guys,

After reading this thread with a growing sense of horror, my hard drive went tits up today, as I cannot see my lovely USB drive that contains my supposed foolproof back up; I am now at a loss as to what to do.

Has anyone worked a way round this problem?

Thanks,

Mark

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #107 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 2:07pm

Mark,  Yikes! Sorry to hear of the problem.  Here is what I would suggest. 

1. Since you obviously have access to a running PC, I would open a LiveChat incident with Symantec:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/products/ghost/nghost_10/contac...

2. Let us know if they are able to resolve it.

3. I have had success with changing the drive letter of the USB external drive.  When you had it attached to your other PC, what drive letter did it have?  I know z: and some other letters are an issue with the Ghost 10 Recovery CD environment.

Use the Disk Management to change drive letter.

My Computer
Right-click, Manage
Maximize screen
Disk Management
Highlight USB drive in top and right click,
Change Drive letters and paths. 
Change it to a low alphabet letter such as e: or f:.
OK, OK, etc.

Then attach USB drive to original PC, make sure it is on, and reboot that PC and see if it shows drive.

I'm assuming you have Ghost 10. Right?

Please let us know what LiveChat says or if they say there is a fix for the problem.  There are SEVERAL people hear waiting for a fix.

Good luck.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #108 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 2:17pm

Mark,

I just thought of another option.  If LiveChat is unable to resolve the problem, you could ask them for the ftp location whre you can download an ISO image of the Ghost 9 Recovery CD.  You would have to use a burning program such as Nero, etc. to then create a bootable CD from that download.

The problem does not appear to occur in Ghost 9, and the backups from Ghost 10 are downward compatible (so they told me).  I tested a couple files from a Ghost 10 backup from Ghost 9 CD and it seemed ok when I tested it.

Let us know how you're doing and resolving it.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #109 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:05pm

Jamcoops.

Could you confirm that you can't see your USB HD from the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment. Can you see your HD's? Do you have other USB devices which you have used in the past?

IP Logged

Jamcoops

Reply #110 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:16pm

Hi guys,

Was already changing the drive letter via my laptop but alas, after several attempts still no luck.  Still waiting to talk to Symantec as a Ver 9 CD seems the best option at present.

Brian...Yes I can't 'see' the USB drive but if I go into 'edit partition table' I have two discs (1 & 2) with 1 being 160GB internal drive and the other 120GB USB drive. I cannot see the destination drive, this may be because it is new as my original is disconnected at present.

I have lots of USB stuff, pen drives, card readers, palm stuff etc...

Thanks again....

Mark

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #111 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:32pm

Mark,

Quote:
.Yes I can't 'see' the USB drive but if I go into 'edit partition table' I have two discs (1 & 2) with 1 being 160GB internal drive and the other 120GB USB drive.

This has been our experience too. The drive is seen in Edit Partition Table but it doesn't have a drive letter.

Try reading Reply #15. It's hard going but it probably explains your problem although it's not a solution as you can't get into Windows to change drive letters.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11318...

John's suggestion re the Ghost 9 CD definitely will work.

Are you able to mount the external HD internally (IDE)?

What problem are you having with Windows?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #112 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:38pm

Brian, as I read Mark's problem it sounded remarkably similar to yours with all the USB devices.

This is just a guess but:  If you (or Mark) disconnected all other USB devices, then rebooted, then hard assigned the USB hard drive to a low drive letter that had NEVER been used before, do you think the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment CD would work?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #113 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:47pm

John,

I haven't tried that. I didn't really have a low drive letter left as I was already up to L (I think). In my case when I changed the USB HD back to its original G and H, it worked.

If I recall correctly Brad Bortner couldn't see the external drive at all. Ever. He tried a multitude of drive letters.

IP Logged

Jamcoops

Reply #114 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:49pm

Hi John,

I treid that, removed everything from the PC, assigned the letter P to the USB drive and rebooted, still no joy.  I am pretty sure that P has never been used.

Chatting to Symantec at present, juts finished going through all the obvious stuff...

Thanks again...

Mark

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #115 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:53pm

Mark, if my theory is sound, you have to use the drive letter that was used the very first time you plugged your external HD.

I thought you couldn't get into Windows????

IP Logged

Jamcoops

Reply #116 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:03pm

Hi Brian,

I changed the letter by connecting the HD to my laptop which is fine.

By the way, Symantec advised using F6 during startup and loading the drivers from there.  I will try this again although I belive it has been done before.

Also I asked for the FTD addy for Ghost 9 recovery, this is the reply:

Thanks. one more thing, do you have a FTP address for a download of GHost 9 recovery disc.  I can use this to boot my PC as it does not have the same USB issue?

Kashif(Sun Jan 08 2006 19:56:53 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time))>

Yes we do have FTP site access, but before providing the access to that site, I would like to discuss this issue with our senior technicians and then I can send you an email at : mark@jamcoops.f2s.com
about FTP and the USB drive issue of Norton Ghost 10.0 Recovery Environment. Is that okay with you?

Mark C(Sun Jan 08 2006 19:58:29 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time))>

Yes that is fine.....thank you very much

Mark...

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #117 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:03pm

Brian,

FYI, two weeks ago I sent an email to Symantec support asking about the status of the original Recovery CD problem which I opened in October 2005.  Since I hadn't even gotten any response to the status question, I just now opened LiveChat and asked the same question.  Here's the answer:

=============
> Please note that we have successfully received your e-mail and the technician will be emailing you the solution.

John > in how long?

> Please note that our technician is analyzing the information that you have provided. He shall be emailing you the solution after sometime.
=============

Sighhh . . . Wouldn't it be simpler if Symantec would just assign a Ghost technician to monitor this forum?  (I guess that is too obvious)

IP Logged

Jamcoops

Reply #118 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:11pm

Question,

If I reinstall windows, then install Ghost, then recover from the windows interface with Ghost, will that recover my PC?

Thanks,

MArk

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #119 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:13pm

Jamcoops,

Quote:
I changed the letter by connecting the HD to my laptop which is fine.

Now I'm really confused. Could you outline your original problem?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print