Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems (Read 160682 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Reply #120 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:15pm

Quote:
Question,

If I reinstall windows, then install Ghost, then recover from the windows interface with Ghost, will that recover my PC?

Thanks,

MArk

You can't restore an OS partition from Windows.

IP Logged

Jamcoops

Reply #121 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:19pm

Hi Brian,

Sorry if I am getting a bit fragmented.

I have a PC and a laptop, whilst trying to copy my dying HD to a new HD windows completely failed.  However I can't restore from Ghost to the new HD as I cannot see my USB drive whilst in the recovery enviroment.  Therefore I am stuffed....at present.

Mark

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #122 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:21pm

Jamcoops,

Here's one other recovery idea:

You appear to have a laptop and a desktop pc, correct?  Are they or were they connected via a network where they previously could see each other?  If so, you could:

1. Attach the USB external drive to the laptop
2. On your laptop, enable the path/folder of the USB drive as a shared network resource.
3. Boot your desktop PC from the Ghost 10 Recovery CD.
4. Enable network access from the advanced options there.
5. Browse to the path/folder name you previously assigned from your laptop.
6. Restore that way.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #123 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:23pm

Very clever.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #124 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:26pm

And *resourceful*  Wink !

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Jamcoops

Reply #125 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 5:09pm

Hi guys,

Won't let me map a drive to the laptop from ghost, used laptop name and IP address.  However I am downloading a copy of Ghost 9 from Symantec, very slowly though at 11.7kb/sec...not me it's their end...So I will try Ghost 9 in the wee hours of the morning here...

Thanks for all your help and I will let you know the outcome..

Mark

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #126 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 5:14pm

It's good to know that Symantec will allow a download of Ghost 9 for this situation. Let us know the outcome.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #127 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 5:36pm

Brian wrote on Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:23pm:
Very clever.

Thanks Brian and NightOwl.  I sometimes think our job is to work *around* problems rather than fix them.  Symantec ought to pay anyone here $29.95 for each solution.  From that formula both you guys would be wealthy(er)!  Grin

I'm glad Symantec gave out the Ghost 9 access for Mark.  I think the network access would have worked if they hadn't come through.  I suspect the desktop needed a different ip address and subnet mask, plus sometimes user that is predefined on the laptop.  (I should test that myself).

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Jamcoops

Reply #128 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 10:34am

Hi all,

Update....Ghost 9 ran through its process, got a couple of errors "string length does not match file size" which I got round using the supplied tools.  After that my drives, according to Ghost, were reinstalled.

Windows would not boot, NTLDR missing, used repair function on XP to get back in.  All files present but had not recreated the original login profiles.  Using regedit to point the restored files back to the right logins. However, it seems that no executable files have been restored winword, Money 05 etc...all the dlls and other bits are there but .exe are missing.  Therefore am reinstalling Office etc...

I am happy that I have not lost any important info to do with my business, however I am very disapointed with Symantec, should have learnt my lesson when I vowed never to buy their product again after using Internet security.

I would like to test Ghost 10

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print