Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems (Read 160660 times)
brad bortner

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Reply #30 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 12:13pm

I'm having the same problem with two external hard drives. They both, counter to others on this forum, have low letters. One is G and one is F. I've tried  booting into recover with them singly and together. Neither are recognized. I was toying with the idea that it might have something to do with the external drives being NTFS formatted instead of fat 32. Coincidentally, I ordered a larger new external recently. When it arrives, I 'll test it.

If this helps in terms of the rest of my configuration, its a Dell 8400, with two internal DVD burners. I've been noting that Ghost 10 is also not "seeing" the second DVD burner (E), but is seeing D .

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #31 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 1:05pm

Quote:
I'm having the same problem with two external hard drives. They both, counter to others on this forum, have low letters. One is G and one is F. I've tried  booting into recover with them singly and together. Neither are recognized. I was toying with the idea that it might have something to do with the external drives being NTFS formatted instead of fat 32. Coincidentally, I ordered a larger new external recently. When it arrives, I 'll test it.

If this helps in terms of the rest of my configuration, its a Dell 8400, with two internal DVD burners. I've been noting that Ghost 10 is also not "seeing" the second DVD burner (E), but is seeing D .

Brad, thanks for the info.  All of my external hard drives are NTFS formatted.  After I reset the drive letter on mine, I powered my pc off, then also switched USB ports that the drive was plugged into just so it would have a different hub address.  Not sure if that made any difference.

The problem with using a FAT32 drive is that you are limited to 2 GB file sizes (I think that's the max).

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #32 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 1:44pm

Ah, I forgot that lat part about fat32 limits.

OK, so are folks saying that I should try to change the drive letters, even though they are low, change the usb connection, reboot, and see what happens? 

Brad

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #33 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 2:36pm

OK, here is what I tried. Net result, however, is no joy.

I renamed my dvd burners from D and E to M and N.
I renamed my USB drive from G to D
I changed its USB port.
I turned off all other external drives (flash reader)

I booted into the recover environment. It still won't "see" the bloody USB Drive.

I went back and changed everthing back the way it was, and muttered curses at Symantec for having me waste so much of my time, when version 9 works just fine.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #34 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 3:41pm

Brad, my computer is a Dell 8400. I'm still using Ghost 9.

Is your other burner X: drive in the RE?

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #35 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 3:53pm

No. Per my post, my burners are D and E, although I tested M and N. Ghost 9 works fine. Stick with it. At this point, I intend to revert to it.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 4:00pm

The CD/DVD drive containing the Ghost CD will be X: drive in the RE.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #37 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 4:13pm

Quote:
No. Per my post, my burners are D and E, although I tested M and N. Ghost 9 works fine. Stick with it. At this point, I intend to revert to it.

If you already had Ghost 9, I agree--stick with it.  I don't really see any must-have new features in Ghost 10 over 9.  Mostly it is a GUI makeover and change of terminology to restore points.

Wait until Ghost 10.1 comes out!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #38 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 4:16pm

I gave the demo version of Ghost 10 a good workover.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #39 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 4:53pm

Brian wrote on Nov 24th, 2005 at 4:16pm:
I gave the demo version of Ghost 10 a good workover.

Maybe there are some newer SATA or other drivers in the Recovery Environment, but with the Ghost 10 USB bug, it's hard to use Ghost 10 on anything except a very vanilla configuration, and that isn't even guaranteed to work.

The recovery point GUI appears to be related to GoBack which I'm not familiar with, but for total bare metal disaster protection, you don't need that.  It almost seems that Symantec is trying to make Ghost into something that it isn't.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #40 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 5:00pm

Yes, Ghost 10 has drivers for my SATA HD's. Ghost 9 didn't but I found out how to add drivers to the CD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #41 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 7:39pm

In the Ghost 10 RE, Utilities, View Partition Information. Disk 3, the external HD is seen, but it doesn't have a drive letter.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #42 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 9:34pm

Brian wrote on Nov 24th, 2005 at 7:39pm:
In the Ghost 10 RE, Utilities, View Partition Information. Disk 3, the external HD is seen, but it doesn't have a drive letter.

I saw the same thing on mine initially.  That just confirms that the Windows XP Pre-Environment correctly identifies all our drives.  It's just that Ghost 10 can't handle it properly.

I saw another post in usenet with another unfortunate soul with same problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage/browse_thread/th...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 10:00pm

I suspect that it will be a very common problem if people start plugging in other USB devices as in my test. We have only heard from people who haven't done that. Remember, I could see my USB HD in Ghost 10 RE until I plugged in a card reader before plugging in the external HD. After that no amount of fiddling would allow the external HD to be seen (apart from Disk Management reassigning the original drive letter).

The Reatogo/Bart PE CD assigns drive letters similar to Ghost 9 so the pending Ghost 10 plugin should be useful. But that doesn't get Symantec off the hook. It's sad. Rad did offer our services as beta testers.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #44 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 9:30am

Brian, did you actually permanently add drivers to the CD, or do you just add them from a floppy via F6 when booting into the recovery environment. If the former, how did you do it. I'd love to be able to modify the ghost 9 CD so it has my SATA drivers already on it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print