Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems (Read 160666 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Reply #45 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 3:10pm

Brad, I used UltraISO. What is your controller? I may have other information.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11131...

I suggest you also make a Reatogo/BartPE Ghost 9 CD. It will be the most useful CD that you own. You can easily add SATA and NIC drivers.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #46 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:14pm

Well, that is a good question. How do I find out what controller I'm using. I

Brad

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #47 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:25pm

Device Manager, IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers. Or in Start, All Programs do you have Intel Application Accelerator?

What brand computer do you have?

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #48 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:42pm

I do have an Intel accelerator.

The controller is an INtel 82801FR SATA AHCI.

Its a Dell 8400.

By the way, I also determined that ghost 10 acts initially as if it has appropriate drivers for this this controller, but if I just use it for them I will get a blue screen of death during my boot on the rescue CD. If I use the floppy with the correct drivers, it boot normally.

I have revereted back go Ghost 9, and shipped back 10 to Symantec for a refund.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:54pm

I must be dementing Brad. I'd forgotten we have the same computer. Then my txtsetup.sif edits apply to you.

IP Logged

PseudointellectualHorse
N00b

Pasadena, CA

Reply #50 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 10:38pm

John. wrote on Nov 24th, 2005 at 9:34pm:
I saw the same thing on mine initially.  That just confirms that the Windows XP Pre-Environment correctly identifies all our drives.  It's just that Ghost 10 can't handle it properly.

I saw another post in usenet with another unfortunate soul with same problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage/browse_thread/th...

That's me! Thanks for leading me here! I'll repeat and update the text of my message:

I just installed Ghost 10 on my Dell Dimension (desktop) 9100 w/SATA RAID 1 (data mirror). I tried a backup from c: to a big USB hard drive, and that worked fine. Then I tried booting from the CD-ROM, which booted up okay and could access c:, except it couldn't "see" the USB drive. I rebooted with another brand of USB drive attached, Maxtor instead of Western Digital, and got same result. I tried again with a Lexar USB key to see whether I could access any USB directory device at all, and that was okay. I found two caveats in the doc, neither of which I violated: 1) USB device must be connected at boot time, and 2) Attach directly to PC and not to a hub. So I don't know why this wouldn't work, unless it involves some subtlety of the chipset or architecture of this model Dell. The Western Digital drive offers a dual connect option, USB or Firewire, so I tried the same test with the Firewire connection, and, Surprise!, it worked. So I've got working disaster recovery, and maybe this tip will be useful to someone else. And I'd still like to know why I can't access the USB disks from a recovery boot, and whether there's anything I can do about that.

The above was my original query. I'll add, first of all, that these are NTFS hard disks, and I never assigned any drive letters, so they just came up with the next available letter. If memory serves, when I couldn't "see" the USB drive, I think a hole was left in the drive order. That is, I think, the g: drive was missing but the next letter was filled in, or something like that. I don't recall exactly, but could experiment if the question is relevant.

It strikes me a very odd that there's nothing dynamic about the recovery CD. That is, Ghost itself may be updated, but there's no mechanism to update the recovery environment. That seems a serious limitation.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #51 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 10:57pm

I have pounded the drum about the
inability of Ghost 9/10 to update the Recovery CD
:

http://ghost.radified.com/norton_ghost_90.htm

At
Point #6
, the eloquent Mr. Pleo (who I respectfully disagree with on many points) reponded thusly:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11260...

Ghost 9.0 has been criticized because the Norton Ghost CD/Symantec Recovery Disk CD – unlike the application itself – is not updated through the Symantec LiveUpdate facility.  There is no technical reason why Symantec could not disseminate a new version of the CD, in the event that a problem was discovered; however, to-date, this has not proven to be necessary.  In contrast, the user should understand that Symantec hasn’t updated Ghost 2003 since 2002 (when version 2003 was released) and one Ghost 2003 expert on this forum used the adjective “dead” in describing updates for Ghost 2003.  The Ghost 9.0 application, however, has been updated through LiveUpdate in 2005.

RAD note: Ghost 10 is similar to Ghost 9 in this respect.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #52 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 2:35am

Rad wrote on Nov 25th, 2005 at 10:57pm:
I have pounded the drum about the
inability of Ghost 9/10 to update the Recovery CD
:

I don't think they are "unable" to update the RE CD Rad. I gather you can buy Ghost 10 either as an ISO download or a boxed edition. Symantec could easily provide an updated ISO for download which I feel they will have to do with Ghost 10. Not so good if you are on dial-up, but 400 MB on broadband, easy.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #53 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 3:12am

PseudointellectualHorse,

Quote:
I think a hole was left in the drive order

I think the RE wants that hole letter as the drive letter for your external HD. It was in my case. Try changing the drive letter of your ext HD (in Disk Management) to that hole letter. Then boot to the RE and see if your ext HD has a drive letter.

IP Logged

PseudointellectualHorse
N00b

Pasadena, CA

Reply #54 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 3:28am

Brian wrote on Nov 26th, 2005 at 3:12am:
PseudointellectualHorse,

I think the RE wants that hole letter as the drive letter for your external HD. It was in my case. Try changing the drive letter of your ext HD (in Disk Management) to that hole letter. Then boot to the RE and see if your ext HD has a drive letter.
Okay, I tried this, and it doesn't seem to affect the situation on my PC. For the record, my "normal" drive letter allocation (non-removable devices, although I think the card readers might be internally hooked up to a USB port):

c: hard disk
d:,e: CD
f:,g:,h:,i: card readers

So the first normally-free letter is j:. I set my Western Digital USB drive to j:, and also plugged in a USB key drive, which became k:. When I boot under the recovery CD, the USB key is there as k:, but j: remains missing. The d: drive has been transposed to x:, and there's a z: RAM drive, as is typical.

I booted back to normal WinXP and set the WD USB drive to n:, and then again booted into the recovery environment. It still skipped j:, and n: was not present either.

Then I switched from the USB connector to the FireWire connector, and booted into the recovery environment for the third time. This time, the WD drive was visible as n:.

So my only consistent report is that I have under no circumstances been able to access the external drive from the recovery environment via the USB connection; on the other hand, it has consistently worked through the FireWire connection.

Oh, yeah, and every time I boot into the recovery environment, the clock gets set back an hour. Maybe a daylight savings time thing?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #55 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 3:45am

My hole theory has been shot down.

I see the same time difference but I haven't spent any effort seeing whether I should add or subtract an hour in the RE. We have DST at present too.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #56 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 10:40am

My experience was the same. I tried two different external usb drives on several different drive letter possiblities. I tried them separately and together. I tried them on different usb ports. I was never able to get ghost to recognize them. Version 9 works fine.

I also saw the clock set back issue.

To make matters worse, there seems to be some incompatability with the SATA drivers ghost 10 has on the CD and the SATA required on my Dell 8400. If I just used the ones supplied by ghost 10, I would get a blue screen of death and a forced reboot. If I loaded the ones I loaded with 9, all was well.

I finally gave up on this product in disgust, and sent it back to Symantec for a refund. Since it was part of a package with their Internet Security bundle, I'm waiting to see how they react.

Brad

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #57 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 11:25am

brad bortner

Quote:
Since it was part of a package with their Internet Security bundle, I'm waiting to see how they react.

Unless each item was priced separately--I'm betting you will have to return the *package*, and not the individual items.

Of course, if what you have said *sent
it
back to Symantec for a refund* means you sent only Ghost 10 back *individually*--too late now--but, should have asked Symantec's customer service how to handle such a return--hope everything doesn't get *scrambled* and *lost* in the system  Embarrassed !

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #58 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 1:10pm

To summarize this thread to-date, it appears that the Ghost 10 recovery environment has difficulty recognizing some storage devices when they conflict with "reserved" drive letters.  In some cases, the procedure recommended by Ghost4me to manually change a drive letter may solve this issue:
Quote:
1. Right click My Computer, then select Manage
2. Select Disk Management
3. Highlight your external USB disk drive, right click for properties and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
4. Change it to a low letter, such as e: or f: depending on what you have already used.
5. ok, etc.

The lesson for all Ghost 10 users is to follow Symantec's warning in the Norton Ghost 10.0 User's Guide (page 29):
Quote:
To ensure that you can access the recovery environment in the event that you need to restore your entire computer system, you should start the Symantec recovery environment. … If the recovery environment does not run as expected, you can take action early to fix the problem.

In other words, it is highly prudent to test the recovery environment before you need it.  That is an obvious statement - of course - but one that I fear not all users will heed.

IP Logged

bradbortner

Reply #59 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 1:17pm

ummm, I don't believe that the reserved letter issue captures it.

With some folks, it seems the problem was that they accidently stepped on a reserved letter. With others,  it seems that the USB drive will not be recognized no matter what letter it is assigned.

I think the only consensus is that this recover environment seems to be much buggier than for Ghost 9 in terms of USB drive recognition, seeming to have SATA support that it might or might not have, and messing with folks system clock.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print