Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems (Read 160638 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Reply #60 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 2:10pm

Quote:
ummm, I don't believe that the reserved letter issue captures it.
With some folks, it seems the problem was that they accidently stepped on a reserved letter. With others,  it seems that the USB drive will not be recognized no matter what letter it is assigned.

You can always verify whether the Recovery Environment itself recognizes the USB drive:
After booting the Ghost 10 RE CD, select the utilities, and then run the partition utility (I forgot the exact name of it).  It will display all of your drives and partitions that the pre-XP environment sees.

In my case, the Pre-XP always saw all the USB drives, but then Ghost 10 would not.

Of course knowing that, only confirms that it is a Ghost problem and not a XP CD boot problem.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #61 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 3:26pm

Exactly.  I'm really amazed that S could take something that basically worked really well (the ghost 9 recovery environment) and break it in a new release.

IP Logged

PseudointellectualHorse
N00b

Pasadena, CA

Reply #62 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 5:41pm

So...I don't suppose it would be possible to take the entirety of this thread and dump it in the lap of Symantec Tech Support? I'd be happy to think that Symantec acknowledged the existence of a problem and was at least contemplating a solution. (Although unless they provide a facility to burn an update to the recovery CD-ROM, it's not clear how they could fix it. They're certainly not going to mail out new CD-ROMs to registered users, nor would I expect them to.)

I see some people have claimed that Ghost 9 didn't have this problem with USB drives. Ghost 10 is my first and only Ghost, so I can't test that. But since my PC is of a fairly recent design (Dell Dimension 9100, with dual-CPU and PCI Express slot, etc.), I assumed the newest software might be necessary.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #63 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 7:13pm

PseudointellectualHorse wrote on Nov 27th, 2005 at 5:41pm:
So...I don't suppose it would be possible to take the entirety of this thread and dump it in the lap of Symantec Tech Support?

I think it would help if someone else would open a problem with Symantec Ghost 10 and let us know:  1) if they are aware of the problem and 2) if they have a fix.  And of course what they have to say.

I opened the problem over a month ago myself.  I keep looking on the Symantec KB to see if they have posted the problem with USB drives and/or restricted letters (for sure z: from my experience), but so far nothing.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #64 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 8:01pm

I sent them a detailed e-mail via their tech support form over a week ago. I received an automated response saying I would hear back in a 24 hours. So far I have heard nothing.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #65 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 3:14pm

Here is an admittedly bizarre suggestion . . .

Suppose that you used Ghost 10 to create an independent recovery point without employing any of the new version 10 features (e.g., encryption).  Could the Ghost 9 recovery environment then recognize and restore that version 10 image?  If so, such a path forward would allow a user to temporarily bypass the Ghost 10 “reserved drive letter”/USB/SATA issue until the problem is addressed by Symantec.

Perhaps someone who has a suitably equipped PC with Ghost 10 installed and a Ghost 9 CD could test this (crazy?) hypothesis . . . .

P.S.:  Hey, at least give me credit for being creative!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #66 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 4:49pm

Yes, I tested restoring a couple files (not the whole partition) of a Ghost 10 image from the Ghost 9 recovery CD.  It worked fine.

Ghost 9 uses it's own arbitrary drive letters but I can see from the disk-id which volume is which.

That's one way I kept insisting to "tech-support" that it USED to work (ghost 9 cd) and now it doesn't (ghost 10 cd).  The other bonus is that Ghost 9 because it uses a different xp recovery environment recognizes all my external devices.

Still no response from Symantec if/when they will fix it.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #67 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 6:37pm

No response from Symantec at all on my end. Last time I needed tech support from symantec, I actually had to write their president. A few days later, I received a call....

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #68 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 9:12pm

Ghost4me, my own experience is that Symantec is no longer providing technical support through email sent to technicalsupport@symantec.iseva.net.  All emails I have sent to that address have simply resulted in a reply instructing me to use Live Technical Support (http://live-symantec.custhelp.com).

Have you pursued this problem through the Symantec Live Technical Support chat option?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #69 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 10:23pm

Pleonasm wrote on Nov 28th, 2005 at 9:12pm:
Ghost4me, my own experience is that Symantec is no longer providing technical support through email sent to technicalsupport@symantec.iseva.net.  All emails I have sent to that address have simply resulted in a reply instructing me to use Live Technical Support (http://live-symantec.custhelp.com).

Have you pursued this problem through the Symantec Live Technical Support chat option?

Yes, I started with Live-Chat support.  After 2 hours of "chatting", he gave up.  Mostly I would ask a question, and he would say "hold on while I check", then come back in 2 minutes with some answer.  In all fairness, it's probably a new problem, so the level-1 chat people can't solve it.

Then I exchanged emails for about 2-3 weeks per their suggestion.  Those consisted of "check bios level", send this, send that, etc.  That lasted until I figured out the problem myself and told THEM (level 1 3/4) what the problem was, but I still haven't gotten any verification that they reproduced the problem or even where it is in their queue to even look at it...

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #70 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 12:30pm

'Unsticky!'

EP
Cry

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #71 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 9:18pm

I guess, based on the silence, that no one had heard boo from Symantec....

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #72 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 10:26am

I have just written to the president of symantec concerning this issue, and referenced this link as well. Obvioulsy, it won't get to him, but when I've done such in the past it gets kicked down to a tech who will called me. We shall see....

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #73 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 4:09pm

To my way of thinking, the key lesson learned from this thread is:
  • Always the test the Symantec recovery environment before you need it.  If it does not work on your PC for whatever reason, your choices are (1) change your hardware or its configuration, or (2) use a different image backup utility.  Not all utilities work on all PC configurations, and Ghost 10.0 is no exception to this rule.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #74 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 6:26pm

Obviously you should test your recovery environment before you need it. No one disputes that....

What is bizarre is that ghost 10 would not work, while ghost 9 does.

What is more bizarre is that it seems impossible to get Symantec to give  a response about it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print