Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems (Read 160649 times)
Pleonasm

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Reply #75 - Dec 4th, 2005 at 12:44pm

Brad, I agree with all your comments.

No doubt Symantec should be more responsive.  However, if Ghost 10 does not perform as you wish, I recommend that you return the product, get a refund, and choose a different image backup tool.  That course of action would be far easier than changing your PC hardware.

It is indeed odd that Symantec induced a problem in Ghost 10 that was not present in Ghost 9.  Obviously, this could not have been intentional by Symantec.  I am only speculating, but some other enhancement in Ghost 10 must be yielding an unanticipated consequence.  Hopefully, Symantec will investigate the issue and provide a fix or a work-around approach.

By the way, Symantec has a number of offices located in cities throughout the United States.  If you receive no reply to your communication to the President of Symantec, you might consider knocking on the door of a local office.

IP Logged

XPAddict
N00b

Reply #76 - Dec 4th, 2005 at 4:59pm

I have read this entire thread with some interest, and... have the answer to part of the puzzle:

Quote:
I am only speculating, but some other enhancement in Ghost 10 must be yielding an unanticipated consequence.

Symantec switched from a proprietary boot environment to a Windows PE based solution.  The "hard-coded" drive letters X: & Z: come from WinPE NOT Ghost 10.  These drive letters; X: for the bootable PE media (whether CD, ISO, etc.) & Z: Ramdrive are part of the enhancements of Windows PE 2005 which became available to OEM's in early 2005.

Inability to recognize certain USB drives when attached to a hub or inserted AFTER boot is also WinPE issues.  Specific storage subsystem driver support may also be related to the underlying WinPE environment, as it can be built off of a Server 2003 SP1 source (with Windows PE 2005) instead of XP SP2 media.

In the corporate environment, it is a regular occurence to update your Windows PE based solutions with latest drivers for NIC's & storage media; something that Symantec is apparently not interested in doing.

I may have to go out & buy a copy of Norton Ghost 10 just to get my hands on the ISO for the recovery environment & investigate inside of UltraISO & see how it is laid out.

Hope this helps!

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #77 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 7:47pm

Yes, I think that some of the letters are reserved is pretty evident.

My issues with non-recognized USB drives, howerver, occurs even when the drive is on when the recovery environment boots.

The infuriating thing about Symantec is not so much that they released a buggy version of their software, but that there is no way to communicate with them that is meaningful....

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #78 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 8:12pm

Quote:
Yes, I think that some of the letters are reserved is pretty evident.

My issues with non-recognized USB drives, howerver, occurs even when the drive is on when the recovery environment boots.

The infuriating thing about Symantec is not so much that they released a buggy version of their software, but that there is no way to communicate with them that is meaningful....

To verify if your usb drive is recognized by the recovery environment,
Boot from the Recovery CD
After Ghost starts go to the Utilites
Start up the parition info utility (forgot the exact name)
See if the utility shows all your partitions and your usb drive(s).

If so, then see comments early in this thread about going back to XP, and hard assigning low drive letters ( like f: or g: ) to your usb drive and then trying the cd again.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #79 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 10:13pm

See my earlier posts. I tried all of that. No combation of different drive letters worked, on either of two different usb drives.

I presume that there is a vague possiblity that they both have chip sets that are somehow being directed, but....this seems unlikely, since it was two different brands, and ghost 9 detects them fine, as do all other aps within windows.

IP Logged

PseudointellectualHorse
N00b

Pasadena, CA

Reply #80 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 10:36pm

Another small data point, FWIW. I had previously posted that I could not under any circumstances access my external USB drive when booted under the Ghost 10 recovery environment. It was suggested that Ghost 9 was worth a try, and so I borrowed a copy of Ghost 9 and booted from the CD and found: Now I could access the external USB drive, however my hard drive C was gone! I guess this isn't surprising, because my Dell Dimension 9100 has a new SATA RAID configuration, and presumably Ghost 9 didn't know what to do with it. So anyway, I've got my choice; either target but no data under Ghost 10 or data but no target under Ghost 9. Interesting but not helpful.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #81 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 6:49pm

If you download the SATA Raid drivers from dells file list for your PC, you simply load them by hitting F6 during the recovery boot process (its in the manual) to load the new drivers.

After that, you will have access to your hard drive AND the external USB drive.

One of the reasons I upgraded to 10 was so I did not have to go through this extra step, but even that did not work. Unless I loaded the SATA drivers manually, I would often get a blue screen of death....AND could never get 10 to see the USB drive.

I'm now back to using ghost 9. Works great. Less aggravating....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #82 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 7:29pm

Brad, did you successfully get the SATA drivers onto your Ghost 9 CD?

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #83 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 7:13am

My setup is probably different than most. I have the hard drive on two computers partitioned 9 ways from C - K. I started doing this 15 years ago when I read about the concept, not putting all your eggs in one basket, etc. I've never had any problems. The cd drive is L, the dvd drive is M. When an external firewire  hard drive drive is attached windows gives it drive N. One computer has a multifunction printer scanner combo attached by usb and windows gives it drive O. I use a program called virtual drive that enables you to copy game cd's to the hard drive. The program then sets up virtual drives. The cd file is inserted into the virtual drive and the game thinks its cd is in the cd drive. It saves inserting and swapping cd's. I set it up to use drives P - Z as virtual drives. I got ghost 10 RE to work by releasing drives X and Z on both computers. I also had to disconnect the multifunction printer on the one computer. I don't have ghost 9 but v2i protector which is a predecessor of ghost 10. Its RE saw my setup without having to change anything. The point is that with modern technology there shouldn't be any need to change anything. This is like going back to the DOS days where you had to fiddle with any new program to get it to work. That was why computers were just for hobbyists who liked to do that. Computing didn't become mainstream until the last 5 or 6 years when winxp put an end to most of that. Ghost 10 is a setback as most people don't backup and have no idea what that means. This does nothing to further that concept. What is needed is for new computers to have backup devices installed by default like a cd drive. Windows needs to do image backups by default so the average user need do nothing but is protected. We have the technology for that now.  Grin

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #84 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:53am

Brian:

I got side tracked trying to get BartPE to work properly. I'm dropping that for now, and moving on to the SATA driver issue. Looks like I actually have top pay the registration fee on the ISO utility, since I believe the files are more than 300 meg.

By the way, which file within the image did you make your edits to?  I see the edits themselves in your posting, but not what file they reside in....

Brad

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #85 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 12:44pm

My PC hardware configuration may be simpler than most:  an internal hard disk drive partitioned into C: and D:, and an external Maxtor drive (G: ) connected via FireWire.  The Ghost 10 recovery environment sees all drives/partitions properly, and each is correctly identified by its Windows designated drive letter.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #86 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:01pm

From what I've read, the firewire drive is not a problem for ghost 10, it is external usb drives that are causing the issues....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #87 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 3:35pm

Pleo, my Ghost 10 RE was fine until I made some changes.

I assume your optical drives are E and F. One of these will become X in the RE. Would you be willing to try this.......(I don't have a firewire device)

With the firewire HD unplugged, plug in a USB flash drive (or any USB device that is assigned a drive letter) which should then be G:  Now plug in your firewire HD and it should be H:  Boot to the RE and let us know if the firewire drive is seen as H: drive. Next, remove the USB and firewire devices, reboot and attach your firewire HD which should still be H:  Boot to the RE and let us know if the firewire drive is seen as H: drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #88 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 3:41pm

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #89 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 4:34pm

Brian, a question:  what is the test you recommend in Reply #87 seeking to demonstrate?  The ‘confusion’ the Ghost 10 recovery environment (or Windows PE?) is experiencing ought to be independent of whether the bus technology is defined by IEEE 1394 or USB – right?  It would seem to me that the problem is unlikely to be resident within the transport layer but is at the application/operating system layer of the architecture.

You are correct:  E and F are DVD optical drives on my PC, and I’ll need to check if the Ghost 10 recovery environment sees either as X.

Additionally, I’ll attached a USB drive (flash memory) and explore how this is detected the Ghost 10 recovery environment.

You also said “my Ghost 10 RE was fine until I made some changes.”  Is your Ghost 10 recovery environment now in a functional state – or, did some of your experiments (unfortunately) have a ‘permanent’ negative impact on using Ghost 10?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print