Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems (Read 160661 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Reply #90 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 5:21pm

Thanks for asking this question Pleo as I didn't make clear the implications of my experiment in post #15.

I only plug in my USB external HD when it is needed and it's seen as G and H (two partitions). It is seen as G and H in the Ghost 10 RE.

Now let's say I was using my card reader (G H I J) and I decided to plug in my USB HD as well (certainly a possibility) then it would be assigned K and L. In the future when the USB HD is plugged in it remains K and L even without the card reader attached. While it is K and L in WinXP it's not seen in the RE. If I change it back to G and H in Disk Management it's again seen in the RE.

I assume that if my USB HD was connected all the time then it would remain G and H even when the card reader was attached and there would be no problem. Somehow changing the USB HD drive letters caused the problem.

I think this scenario is realistic and could happen in real life. Does this make sense?

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #91 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 5:34pm

Thanks Brian. It would have helped if I had read carefully the first time you posted!  I'm just waiting on my unlock key for UltraISO, and than I'll give your recommendations a try....

Brad

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #92 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 6:22pm

Brian, concerning your comment "If I change it back to G and H in Disk Management it's again seen in the RE," is it possible using BartPE to invoke Disk Management (or an equivalent tool) in order to change the Windows XP drive letters?  If so, then when such a problem arises, the solution would be to run Disk Management under BartPE before booting into the Ghost 10 recovery environment - right?

I admit this is undesirable and represents what should be an unnecessary step, but if it is successful, it could represent a work-around solution.  Your thoughts?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #93 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 6:47pm

Good thought Pleo. I just tried it and it doesn't work.
Drive letters in BartPE are like Ghost 9, sequential and not related to WinXP drive letters. I changed the drive letters of my USB HD in BartPE but on rebooting to Windows they were the same as before.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #94 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 10:55pm

Brian,

OK, I have a fully liscense version of UltraISO. I have located txtsetup.sif. Now (write as if to an idiot), step by step, how do I edit it and than save the whole thing as an ISO file back to another CD.  Do I just let it open in Notepad, and make the edits there? Do I than save the whole CD to a HD directory, and than burn it to another CD. Sorry, but Ultra is not the most intuitive of packages for me...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #95 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 11:36pm

Brad, from one idiot to another. Put the Ghost 9 CD in your CD drive and click Exit when it tries to run. Start UltraISO, click Tools, Make CD/DVD image, choose Output file destination and name, dot in Standard ISO, Make. Click Return when complete.

Put your CD away. We will only use this ISO from now.

Double-click your ISO and it appears in the upper panes of UltraISO.

In the left upper pane of UltraISO, open I386 folder. Right click txtsetup.sif in the right upper pane, click Extract to, choose Desktop. Go to that file, double click and it should open in Notepad. Make the edits (it will frighten you when you look at what is contained in the file) and Save.

From your F6 floppy, copy iastor.inf and iastor.sys to your Desktop.

In the left upper pane of UltraISO, open I386 folder. Left drag txtsetup.sif to the right upper pane of UltraISO to overwrite the original file.

In the left upper pane of UltraISO, open I386, System 32, Drivers folder. Drag your iastor.sys to the right upper pane to overwrite the original file.

In the left upper pane of UltraISO, open I386, INF folder. Drag your iastor.inf to the right upper pane to overwrite the original file.

File, Save.

Now it is done. Click Tools, Burn CD/DVD image, Burn. Use a RW disc at first in case you have made an error.

Good luck. It’s not easy.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #96 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 9:54am

Brian,

Your instructions worked like a charm. No more F6 during a recover load for me!  The one minor tweak I made was that I had no idea how to put the registered market after Intel, so I just wrote "Intel(R)..." instead.

Now, can you give me an idiots guide to why I should also have a Bart's CD?

Many thanks for all your help!

Brad Grin Grin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #97 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 3:51pm

It's nice NOT to have to use a floppy.

Quote:
how to put the registered market after Intel

Don't bother now but you should have copied and pasted my lines.

BartPE is the handiest CD I've owned. I use it to delete files that can't be deleted easily in Windows, edit boot.ini, "fix" computers that won't boot to Windows, extract data from unbootable computers and also to create images of new computers that don't yet have imaging software. It's one of those CD's that keeps finding uses for itself.

As far as the Ghost plugin is concerned, you don't really need to have that on BartPE unless you wan't to restore over the network. Ghost 9 CD doesn't have NIC drivers for our computer. I haven't tried to solve that problem. BartPE does have the drivers. Also you can create images and do Copy Drive from BartPE.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #98 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 5:49pm

I thought of the cut and past idea AFTER I had manually typed in all your corrections. Surprisingly, I got it right the first go!

Another suprise, I received and e-mail back from Norton 2 weeks after my first trouble complaint on ghost 10. They asked me to run a system information gathering utility and e-mail it to them. I did two days ago, but have not heard back since. I'm sure the -mail is bouncing around India somewhere....

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #99 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 9:32am

Still no word from symantec on this issue, either acknowledging it or saying that a fix is on the way. Given their history, they'll probably just fix it for version 11.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #100 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 6:32pm

Here is the final non-answer I've gotten from Symantec e-mail support on this issue:

Hello brad,

Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.
Symantec would like to apologize for any inconvenience or loss of
productivity this issue has caused you. This issue has been reported to
Symantec Development, but currently we have not been able to reproduce this
issue.

Our support staff thanks you for your patience as we investigate the root
cause of this situation. We will continue our efforts in tracking this issue,
and will update the Symantec Online Knowledge Base to include new updates.

If you have any further concerns regarding the product, please feel free to revert. Thank You for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

Best regards,

Raja Achudhan
Symantec Authorised Technical Support

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #101 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 4:43pm

Pleonasm, I realize you have had USB distractions but do you have any information for us regarding your firewire connected HD and drive letters?

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #102 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 6:59pm

I received my money back from Symantec today for Ghost 10. I fear their issues with USB recognition will not be cleared up until ghost 11. They seem to have made a policy decision that it is cheaper to return folks money than have a real QA, tech support function...

Nonetheless, ghost 9 just saved my butt again last night. Thanks, Brian for the pointers on creating a one CD recovery disk for ghost 9, with no PF 6 required....Very helpful.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #103 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 7:12pm

Brad (and others), I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Ghost 10 external USB hard drive recognition, as I and others have had.

I just emailed Symantec December 19th to find out the status of this original problem which I reported/opened with them back on October 12, 2005.  So far no response, but the average email turnaround response is usually about a week.

However, 2 1/2 months for an open SERIOUS problem is unacceptable!

I'll let you know when/if/what they say.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #104 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 1:06pm

They e-mail they have sent me (see my earlier post) claims that they cannot reproduce the problem. Very strange. I'm betting that we don't see a fix until ghost 11...

Brad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print