Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backing up a Dell Sys. (Read 28185 times)
Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Backing up a Dell Sys.
Reply #15 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 11:13pm

"If I was to "disk to image" then a month later want to update the image, do I format the drive then do another "disk to image" or what would be the best route."

By "format the drive", I assume you're referring to the USB drive containing your image.  Refer back to my earlier post: an image is a file, not a partition.  You treat it like any other file.  When you want to make a fresh image, you have several choices:
  • delete the old file, then create a new image file; or
  • move the old file somewhere else (CD/DVD?) to keep a prior generation, then create a new image file; or
  • leave the old file as is, and create a new image with a different filename.
Remember, these are files, so you can name them whatever you want.  Also remember that the image is compressed and only includes used space.  If you have a 100GB partition with 15GB of used space, Ghost will take that 15GB and compress it into about 8-9 GB.  Instead of making one 100GB clone on the USB disk, you could store many copies of 9GB images on the same USB disk without having to delete the previous images.

In all of the above, what I refer to as an image "file" could actually be a set of multiple files.  As I said earlier, an image can be split into multiple pieces, with the entire set representing the image (IOW, each piece is useless without the entire set).  In El_P's post, that's exactly what he's illustrating--a set of 8 files that comprise a single image.  In El_P's case, each piece is 2GB large because that's the maximum size segment Ghost 2003 can create, but you can also create them in smaller pieces if you choose.  (I normally split them into 690MB chunks, just in case I later decide to burn the image pieces onto a set of CDRs.)

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 1:47pm

I want to thank you all for the help. I know it must be frustrating trying to explain something to someone that can't seem to get it. I haven't been working with computers long and need help from time to time. Mostly because I like playing with them. I have learned a lot, thanks to helpful people like yourselves.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #17 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 4:31pm

WilliamP wrote on Nov 27th, 2005 at 1:47pm:
"... I want to thank you all for the help ... I have learned a lot, thanks to helpful people like yourselves..."

Doing so is a pleasure, and pleasure is a rare commodity in these environs following Katrina and Rita.  The only "around-the-clock" residents in this neighborhood able to exist in healthy circumstances are occupying FEMA travel trailers while they restore their respective residences, and the rest of us are waiting on our trailers to be delivered.  My nextdoor neighbor on the east side is living in a canvas pop-up trailer and the neighbor on the west side fled on August 28th with no evident intention to ever return.

EP
Cry  

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 6:54pm

What can I say my friend. I'll be thinking about and praying for you folks down there  . I was born and raised in the Gentily section of New Orleans. Been gone since 1959.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #19 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 12:36am

WilliamP wrote on Nov 27th, 2005 at 6:54pm:
"... I was born and raised in the Gentilly section of New Orleans.  Been gone since 1959..."

Compared to Gentilly and Lakeview, my neighborhood is unscathed.  Regrettably, the misgovernance of the City of New Orleans with its insistence on counterproductive policies - compounded by Entergy filing for bankruptcy and reducing its workforce to restore utilities - ensures reconstruction is a shining dream that is waning rather than waxing.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print