Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backing up a Dell Sys. (Read 28180 times)
WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Backing up a Dell Sys.
Nov 25th, 2005 at 9:27pm

I have finally gotten up the courage and have everything going. I have a Dell 8400 XP SP2 a SATA drive and I have added a SATA drive in an enclosure connected to a PCI host card. I have the drive formated and when I turn the power on to the enclosure the computer recognizes it and if the power is off it is gone. Now my question is this. My C drive has 3 partitions a 55 mb FAT a 145GB NTFS and a 3.79mb FAT32. Now what do I have to do to be able to copy my C to my new F.  Both are Seagate 160 GB. SATA with NCQ

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Backing up a Dell Sys.
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 9:39pm

WilliamP wrote on Nov 25th, 2005 at 9:27pm:
"... My C drive has 3 partitions a 55 mb FAT a 145GB NTFS and a 3.79mb FAT32.  Now what do I have to do to be able to copy my C to my new F.  Both are Seagate 160 GB. SATA with NCQ..."

Am I correct in assuming that: (1) you are using Norton Ghost 2003; (2) your MASTER HDD has only the single drive letter assignment of C: while the miniscule FAT and FAT 32 partitions lack drive letters; and (3) that you only have a single optical drive onboard?

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 9:43pm

That is correct . I have a Floppy drive ,a CD/DVD RW drive , an IDE hard drive on the cable with the CD/DVD RW drive that I use to store Digital photos.  And I have Ghost 2003

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 12:09pm

WilliamP wrote on Nov 25th, 2005 at 9:43pm:
That is correct . I have a Floppy drive ,a CD/DVD RW drive , an IDE hard drive on the cable with the CD/DVD RW drive that I use to store Digital photos.  And I have Ghost 2003

I am assuming the IDE HDD is an unpartitioned SLAVE with jumper settings set to MASTER.  If so, what is its drive letter assignment?

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 12:52pm

That drive is Dr E and the new SATA is F.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 3:51pm

"My C drive has 3 partitions a 55 mb FAT a 145GB NTFS and a 3.79mb FAT32."

You can find an explanation of the two extra Dell partitions on my webpages:
Inside the Dell Utility Partition
Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

BTW, you don't mean your "C drive", you mean your main hard disk.  Drive letters are only handles an operating system gives to partitions (not disks) for reference purposes.  XP is referring to your XP partition as C.  The two Dell partitions do not have drive letters.

"I have added a SATA drive in an enclosure connected to a PCI host card ... Now what do I have to do to be able to copy my C to my new F."

First question is what is your purpose?  Are you making a backup of your system for disaster recovery?  If so, you want an image.  Are you migrating your system to the new disk?  Then you want a clone/copy.

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 4:06pm

Dan ,What I planned was to make a duplicate bootable drive and keep it updated on a schedule. If my C drive was to die I could just swap out the drives. That is if that is possible. As far as the ATA drive If I remember correctly it is set as slave the CD/DVD drive as master at the end of the IDE cable.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 6:49pm

"What I planned was to make a duplicate bootable drive and keep it updated on a schedule. If my C drive was to die I could just swap out the drives. That is if that is possible."

Yes, it's possible, but not very sensible, IMHO.  Images are more practical.  
  • Images are files, so you can save multiple generations.  A clone leaves you with just one generation.
  • Images can be saved/moved anywhere a file can go, such as CD/DVD (which is ideal for offloading earlier generations, BTW).  Clones cannot.
  • Images are compressed and capture only space in use.  Clones are not only uncompressed, they duplicate free space in the partition, as well.
Sure, images require a restore step when disaster strikes, but that only takes minutes, not hours.  Also, a clone doesn't always work just by swapping the drives alone, but often requires some degree of repair to get the clone disk up and running.  Considering how rarely you'll (hopefully) be doing this, saving a few minutes by keeping a ready-to-go clone is hardly worth the effort, IMHO.

The more recent Ghost/Acronis versions support incremental backup images, but since you're using Ghost 2003, I would seriously consider splitting your main partition so you can keep your data on a separate partition.  (See Rad's Partitioning Strategies for numerous other advantages of partitioning.)  That way, you can backup your data more frequently than your OS.  Your OS doesn't change much unless you're adding new programs or applying updates.  Your data probably changes daily.  Since Ghost 2003 doesn't support incremental images, if data and OS are on the same partition you'll either:
  • waste gobs of time and disk space unnecessarily backing up your OS just to keep up with your data; or
  • not backup often enough to keep your data backup current.
(BTW, if you repartition, you'll either need to use my dsrfix utility to keep Dell's PC-Restore partition viable, or eliminate the PC-Restore partition altogether.  Since you'll be backing up your system with Ghost, it isn't essential to keep the PC-Restore partition.)

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:08pm

Thank you Dan. How long does it take to Ghost an image with 15 GB.  I would be going SATA to SATA. If I image, then how do you keep it updated?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:29pm

WilliamP wrote on Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:08pm:
"... How long does it take to Ghost an image with 15 GB.  I would be going SATA to SATA..."

Interpolating from my own experiences, a Norton Ghost 2003 "disk-to-image" Backup with 15GB in content via SATA should take at least 12-to-14 minutes, but certainly not more than 19-to-23 minutes. This does not include performing the Integrity Check which I regard as being an absolute requisite - with your setup, this should take no more than 60-to-80 percent of the time required for the Backup.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:44pm

If I was to "disk to image" then a month later want to update the image,do I format the drive then do another "disk to image" or what would be the best route.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 8:03pm

WilliamP wrote on Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:44pm:
"... If I was to "disk-to-image" then a month later want to update the image, do I format the drive then do another "disk-to-image" or what would be the best route..."

I perform such a routine on a very regular basis, and all I do is delete the very last spanned segment (the smallest *.ghs file based on volume) beforehand and then overwrite the entire set of spanned file segments using the same filename.  On occasion, I have seen just the last segment from the previous iteration survive an attempt at overwriting which in turn renders the entire set worthless.  As an aside, I would anticipate you generating one *.gho file and seven *.ghs files.

You may even wish to maintain alternating files (e.g., based on odd or even month numbers) in the interest of increased security.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 8:19pm

El_Pescador I'm afraid I don't understand what you posted. What I was talking about was formatting the drive then make a new disk to image. I seem to have a hard time understanding this stuff.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:17pm

WilliamP wrote on Nov 26th, 2005 at 8:19pm:
"... What I was talking about was formatting the drive then make a new disk to image. I seem to have a hard time understanding this stuff..."

In the illustration below, Drive H: has already been formatted in the NTFS file system format and so it shall remain indefinitely as iteration after iteration of Norton Ghost 2003 "disk-to-image" Backup files from my Dell Dimension 8100 PC are first written and then overwritten upon it.  Actually, once the Backup file exceeds 2Gb then a set of one or more spanned segments is generated and appended - BUT you still must think of these segments as a unified set described with a single filename when performing Ghost 2003 operations.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:26pm

Whem imaging to the drive, Ghost creates files of 2gb each? Is that correct?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print