Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Radified's Partition Guide is... DIFFERENT (Read 4402 times)
Benjamin Sperandio

Radified's Partition Guide is... DIFFERENT
Dec 6th, 2005 at 5:29am

Hello all. I'm new here.

I just found Radified from a helpful poster on the Computing.net forums. I started a thread in the Gaming section about the partition plan I had and asked for advice on how I might improve it.

I must admit, I was quite impressed with Rad's Partition Guide. It was not too technical, but just right. And the comparison of partitions with rooms in a house was simply perfect.

The reason I'm posting this is because I was quite surprised with parts of what Rad's partition guide recommends. Parts of that seem to directly contradict what Stein Gjoen recommends in his "HOWTO: Multi Disk System Tuning" (for a Linux/Win 95/DOS system) at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html. I used that to plan my partitions, but now I have my doubts. Admittedly, it's quite outdated and mostly intended for a multi-disk Linux multi-OS setup, but I still found it useful.

To be honest, I believe I may have misunderstood the explaination that Stein Gjoen gave of which part of the drive is which. However, I believe that the Radified partition guide could have made this clearer, too.

How about adding a diagram with LABELS? The Partition Magic picture at the top of page 1 helps a bit. But there would be no doubt if one edge of that diagram was labeled "outer/fastest" and the other end labeled "inner/slowest"? I'm guessing from the description given that the left side of the Partition Magic screen is the outer/fastest, but I'm not certain. When I read Stein Gjoen's HOWTO, I got the distinct impression that the 1st partition, that the left side of the Partition Magic screen was the inner/slowest...

Also, I'm puzzled by how the Radified partition guide states that:

"In other words [at the outer/leading/fastest edge], the drive's read/write heads won't have to travel (seek) to the far end of the drive (during normal system usage, anyway). This will provide you with a more responsive system by decreasing the drive's effective seek/access time."

The Stein Gjoen's guide clearly states that the MIDDLE of a hard drive is always the fastest! By "fastest", he takes into consideration both the Seek Time and the Sustained Transfer Rate. His guide seems to state that the outer edge has the fastest Sustained Transfer Rate because it's the edge of the platters - which are spinning past the heads at a much faster rate than at the inner/center tracks (where STR is the lowest).

The reason he gave for the middle being the fastest, is because the STR is average there and the Seek Time is at the max.

The reason he gives why the seek time is maximum at the middle is because, in real world applications, the HD heads are constantly moving and,
on avarage
, tend to be somewhere in the middle of the tracks - neither near the outer nor inner tracks.

If you really think about that analogy, it does make sense. Aren't the heads constantly moving during most HD seeks? If the heads happened to be caught near the outer edge when requested to find a file near the inner tracks, it would take a very long time to get there. Same way if the heads were near the inner tracks and sent to find a file near the outer edge.

But whether the heads happened to be near the inner or outer tracks, it could always reach a file near the middle faster than going all the way to the opposite side. If the heads happened to be near the middle, it could find the file near the inner or outer tracks just as quickly either way. And if the file was near the middle, it would be found very quickly indeed.

Anyway, I guess my question is: Who is right... and why? Also, is there a possiblity that hard drive technology has changed so drastically since that "Multi Disk System Tuning" Howto was written than the rules on figuring the Seek Time and STR are completely different? I'm just confused... Undecided ???

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Radified's Partition Guide is... DIFFERENT
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 11:05am

Benjamin Sperandio

Quote:
I guess my question is: Who is right... and why?

Unfortunately--I think the answer is *it depends*!!!  There are a lot of variables....

Quote:
is there a possiblity that hard drive technology has changed so drastically since that "Multi Disk System Tuning" Howto was written than the rules on figuring the Seek Time and STR are completely different?

How you figure is not *different*--but because of fast systems and fast HDD's--in everyday use, one will probably not *see* the difference very easily!

Rad's recommendation is probably more *correct*--he not only says put the OS partition near the outer edge--but put the programs often used and their data there too--that reduces the need for the head to go seeking on the inner portion of the HDD disk platter.

Just because the heads are *centered* because that's where you installed the OS, doesn't mean that's where they are all the time.  Who's to say if you place programs at the outer edge, and data on the inner area--that the head won't be called to the outer edge and then have to find data on the inner edge--full disk sweeping to get from one area to the other?

If you are using an industrial strength *relational data base* program where your system is accessing data most of the time--it would probably make sense to place that data on the outer part of the HDD disk for faster access and less head movement for that function.

The fastest access will be if the data is on the outer edge,
and
the heads can stay in that area most of the time!

So, that's why the answer is *it depends*!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 12:31pm

Yeah, my strategy is designed to put the most-frequently accessed files (operating system, programs, data) near the beginning of the disk, where access times are lowest (fastest) and sustained transfer rates are highest (also fastest),

.. and (as NightOwl mentioned) I also designed my strategy to keep the read/write heads in that area by placing only rarely-accessed files at the far/inner/slow end of the disk.

The center-area of the disk strategy is valid only if you have commonly-accessed files ALL OVER THE DISK.

My strategy is designed to prevent this by partitioning the disk to put the most-frequently accessed files near the beginning/outer/fastest end of the disk, and the rarely-accessed files at the far/inner/slow end.

I should also say that my knowledge of Linux is limited. I've installed a few distro's and played with them, but not much more than that.

But here's what I know: if you can keep the read/write heads near the outer/fastest end of the disk, your read/write heads won't have far to seek, so your system will respond mor quickly.

IP Logged

bsperan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 10:53pm

Thanks for the explainations. That really does make sense, now that I think about it.

But I still believe that a labeled diagram would help explain your Partition Guide. I could not instinctively know which end of a drive was the 'outer/leading' or 'inner' just by looking a the interface to a partitioning tool like Partition Magic or FDISK - 'cause they usually don't say. I was mixed up on that part until recently...

Admittedly, that's the fault of those programs. And you did say that the "first partion" was on the outer edge. But clarification would be of tremendous help to newbies.
Quote:
How about adding a diagram with LABELS? The Partition Magic picture at the top of page 1 helps a bit. But there would be no doubt if one edge of that diagram was labeled "outer/fastest" and the other end labeled "inner/slowest"?

Quote:
When I read Stein Gjoen's HOWTO, I got the distinct impression that the 1st partition, that the left side of the Partition Magic screen was the inner/slowest...

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 1:02am

Yes, I agree you are correct that a graphic illustration would clarify. I guess it's a matter of priorities right now, with much to do and a limited amount of time .. I'm sure you understand.

I'll put it on my list, which is quite lengthy right now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print