Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 problem (Read 2453 times)
stgma
Ex Member

Norton Ghost 2003 problem
Dec 9th, 2005 at 6:10am

Hello

I have 2 40GB HDs. Each one has 2 partitions, a 20GB and 20GB. I have another bigger HD where I have stored 2 images for the 2 partitions of the first HD. My problem is that when I now start Norton Ghost 2003 from the bootable CD I go to Partition from Image, I select the image from the big HD and when I select a HD to drop it (either the first 40gb or the second 40gb) it's partitions are disabled. Grayed out. And I dont know why, it doesn't give me a reason. Also, when I cancel at that point and go again to Partition from Image then I cannot find the big HD on the drop down menu so I can reselect the Image file.

Any thoughts?
Should the target Paritions be formated? They all contain data which I want to overwrite. They are all NTFS.
Should I place the big HD with the images as Primary master? Does the location of the HDs (primary,secondary, master,slave) play any role on the usage of the application?

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 problem
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:26pm

stgma

So, you have 3 HDD's--2 of them are 40 GB in size and are divided into two 20 GB partitions.

The third HDD is *larger*, and that's where you have stored two images of one of the 40 GB HDD's.  How were the images created--*Local >Disk >to Image* or *Local >Partition >to Image*?  Do you have 2 images of each of the 2 partitions on the *first HDD* (a total of 4 images files), or 2 images of the disk that has 2 partitions within the image file (a total of just 2 image files)?

You are able to see and select either of the 2 image files the first time you open the Ghost program--
you do not mention that you then select one partition from the image file
.  You then select the *destination HDD (either the first 40gb or the second 40gb)*--but the option of selecting a specific partition on one of those HDD's is *grayed out*.

Quote:
when I cancel at that point and go again to Partition from Image then I cannot find the big HD on the drop down menu so I can reselect the Image file.

So, you have to re-boot and re-start the Ghost program to see your image files again--that's strange!

Quote:
Should the target Paritions be formated? They all contain data which I want to overwrite. They are all NTFS.

They are already formated based on what you say here--did you mean *re-formated*?--but that will not make any difference--the partition file format that is saved to the image will be recreated to the partition that the image is restored to regardless of the formating prior to the restore operation--the HDD only has to be *partitioned* when doing a *Local >Partition >from Image* restore.

Quote:
Should I place the big HD with the images as Primary master? Does the location of the HDs (primary,secondary, master,slave) play any role on the usage of the application?

HDD placement should have no effect on doing a Ghost operation in DOS--it will only effect the drive letter assignments seen in Ghost if the partitions are FAT--if NTFS--then the partitions are designated by *drive number:partiton number*--so for instance--the first drive *seen* by the system will be drive #1, the second drive will be drive #2, etc., and the first partition on drive 1 will be partition #1, and the second partition will be partition #2, etc.

So drive one/partition one will show up as *1:1* in the Ghost menu, and then *1:2, 2:1, 2:2....etc*

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

stgma
Ex Member

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 problem
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 3:09pm

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have just managed to solve my problem

Just for you information I have to tell you that yes, I've always had to re-start Ghost in order to see the HD where the image files reside.

I managed to solve my problem by using the disk managment tool of windows (I had to plug an HD with XP to do that) I did 'delete logical drive' on the partition I wanted to drop the image in. Maybe I previously could not drop the image in that partition (the partition was disabled - gray) because I had a win XP installation there.

Thanks again
bye!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print