Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
.NET Framework and Ghost 9.0 (Read 16690 times)
eyedoc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rockford, Il

.NET Framework and Ghost 9.0
Dec 10th, 2005 at 11:35pm

I'm delighted to find this site; have used Ghost 2003 and Power Quest Drive Image and Ghost 9.0 is the best. I doubt that I'll pop for 10.0 for a while unless they really blow in my ear.

Now, to the point. As anyone who has used Drive Image 7.xx or Ghost 9.0 knows, you must have .NET Framework (latest ver is 1.1), in order for the software to work. No problem,  but when a file in .NET gets corrupted, deleted or the .NET appp goes crazy, conventional wisdom says to unintall and reinstall. The issue is, that on three occasions, .NET wouldn't uninstall via Add/Remove. Not to worry, I had this sit a couple of years ago found Microsoft KB320112. titled "Installation of .NET Framework andRequires Manual Removal." In I manged to get through the KB, removing both ver 1.10 and 1.1.

This time, after diagnosing the error "Windows Installer:" The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it"

A little recall of the Drive Image issue and some testing showed that the above error is generated by .NET Framework, e-mailed Symantec Tech Suppport for a quick fix...got confirmation of my diagnosis, but the KB was esoterichr granted thst it was "cryptic" He agreed with my suggestion to simply run the uninstall KB

The new issue of this issue is that all the references look for the "Installation Source". Tried  dotnetfx.exe and .NET Framework on the Desktop, root directory, burned it to a CD..no go. Got the install CD from Drive Image which has 1.0...installed right over 1.1 (both present), Ghst 9.0 ran, proving the diagnosis, but sill could not unintstall 1,1.

Went to "Windows Install Cleanup", deleted .NET Framework and was able to install 1.1 and run Ghost 9.0. I still have the new, uninstallable 1.1 and the original 1.1, apparently with me for life.

My purpose in the Post is to day "Hi", and point out that the apparent fragility of 1.1 may not be an isolated issue enjoyed only by me  (I had done a migration of applications a few weeks earlier, which may have caused the corruption).

Last but not least, any ideas how to uninstall reluctant .NET Frameworks, and how do you solve the "Installation Source issue?

Hapy Holidays

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: .NET Framework and Ghost 9.0
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 12:00am

I've never tried to uninstall .Net Framework but ver 2 is available from Windows Update site.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 3:35am

welcome doc.

re: "
Got the install CD from Drive Image which has 1.0...installed right over 1.1
"

i thot windows was designed not to let this happen. apparently not.

re: "
I still have the new, uninstallable 1.1 and the original 1.1, apparently with me for life
."

this made me laugh out loud. gotta keep a sense of humor with this stuff, or you'll go nuts.

yes, since ghost 9/10 are dependent on .net, that (to me) makes them less reliable (one more place where something could go wrong), which i could add to my discuss here:

http://ghost.radified.com/norton_ghost_90.htm

are you an optometrist?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 6:12am

Or Ophthalmologist?

IP Logged

eyedoc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rockford, Il

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 8:07pm

Thanks for the data re ver 2.0 of .NET Framework; I had seen that but was concerned (chicken!) about the large jump from 1.1 to 2.0.

Possibly I might have been able to install 2.0 over 1.1, uninstall it and have a clean slate????  I have lots of backups plus Go Back, so may try it.

Have a good one.

IP Logged

eyedoc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rockford, Il

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 8:19pm

I'm glad the attempt at humor was appreciated!

I'm an optometrist..been practising for fifty years; when I get it right I'll quit!

I'm not sure I doning the reply to the thread yhink correctly,,,,this feels like I', talking to mysrlf in the mrror.

Happy Holidays.

IP Logged

Manikandan

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 2:32pm

This is an know issue in the Microsoft Installer Package

Packages Assigned to Computers with Group Policy Are Not Installed
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 278472
Last Review : November 20, 2003
Revision : 3.0

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278472

Regards
Mnaikandan

IP Logged

eyedoc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rockford, Il

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 10:16pm

Thanks for the tip; now all I have to do is figure out what the words mean!

I did come across ID: 306160 in repairing  .NET Frameworks that may not call on this issue..Il give it a try.

Interesting first name, or is it not your name

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 10:22pm

To see what would happen, I uninstalled ver 1.1 and kept ver 2. When I started Ghost 9 it asked for ver 1.1. So now I have 1.1 and 2 again.

IP Logged

eyedoc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rockford, Il

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 12:36am

Ghost has dotnetfx.exe in the program files; presumably when it looks for .NET Password, if you give it permission, it probably looks at that file in that location.

I betcha that if you downloaded any version of 1.1 the program would be a happy camper, but it probably doesn't look for or care for ver 2

I'm in good shape now...I tested at found which of two .NET Programs in A&R fed the Ghost God. The one that was left had error message about not really existing. I have a prigarm that will remove just the name...did so and now the only 1.1 that shows is alive and well, and Ghost runs like a dynamo.

I do have a Hot Fix for 1.1 in A&R, which is a legacy from Drive Image, and I'd have to find the parent version of 1.1 that I am Hot Fixing, and right now, I'll lrave well enough alone.

Where can I located the spell checker mentioned way back up the trail....my recent reply looks like it was typed by the monkey witing Shakespear!

Well, good night...great to met you...woops, do have sort of a Ghostly issue:

I have a legal download of Norton Personal Firewall 2005, and it appears in Add and Remove.

Became curious with the above, I ried it on another computer, and while it runs OK, there is no corresponding entry in Add and Remove.

I found a KB that described the parameters for developer use when they create the attributes of the A&R entry, but I don't know how to link it to the Installer or Uninstaller.

Obviously its no big deal, since when I tried reinstalling it, one of the options was to Remove as well as Modify. I don't remember if I tried uninstalling it first, since I had to use Symantec's manual clean up tool, and of course had to install every single Symanted product after it cleaned them all out.....I think I was burned out at that point.

Any suggestions besides leaving well enough alone?

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Manikandan

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 11:54am

Hi,

Good to see that .NET issue is resolved.

By the way Microsoft has an utility Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

This tool can help you to remove  the registry entries of an single application installed on the Operating system.

Gendrally symantec programs sit in these location

C:/programe Files/Symantec/Norton Personal Firewal
in Registry
HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Symantec/Norton Personal Firewall

Navigate to this location and remove it manually

Be cautious....

Thanks for the comment about my Name ( Am from India we dont have first and last name)

Regards
Manikandan

IP Logged

eyedoc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rockford, Il

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 10:02pm

Hi again,  Manikandan:

I appreciate the tip re Windows Installer Cleanup. i'm familiar with this but never thought about the app cleaning up Registry keys; makes sense though.

It seems we have a miscommunication.....my issue is that one of the installed versions of Norton Personal Firewall 2005 has no entry for it in Add/Remove, while the other installation did have the Add/Remove entry...I have no idea where to find it, but have learned a bit about installers looking around.

Life seems full of issues nowdays....the is a command line re control user2 that leads you to one of the sign-in screens where you uncheck a box.  I've done this half dozen times already, and while there may be no connection, I now have about 7-8 small "Windows Installer" boxes, about 1 2/2" x 3" appearing during startup. It doesn't hurt anything, and I'm not sure its connected to the login, but I'm compulsive about things I don't understand or work right.

I've searched around the web but no clue...any ideas?

Perhaps we shoudl start a new thread.

Regards,  Bob  (Being a "Yankee" I have two names.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 11:33pm

eyedoc wrote on Dec 14th, 2005 at 10:02pm:
It seems we have a miscommunication.....my issue is that one of the installed versions of Norton Personal Firewall 2005 has no entry for it in Add/Remove, while the other installation did have the Add/Remove entry...I have no idea where to find it, but have learned a bit about installers looking around.

Here are a couple ideas to try:

I have seen some Norton packages have the uninstall in the Start/Program Files/Norton... where the icon maybe uninstall or remove.

I've seen others by looking in the c:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton...uninstal.exe or unwise.exe or some similar .exe program that uninstalls that application.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 12:22am

I forgot to mention one of the greatest FREE utilities for finding hidden remove entries:  It's called Add Remove Pro and you can get it here:

http://www.superwin.com/freeware.htm

It shows information that the normal Control Panel doesn't show.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 2:20am

Ghost4me

Thanks for the link--it's always fun to find another useful utility--especially free ones!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print