Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 with 16x DVD burner (Read 2236 times)
Peter

Ghost 2003 with 16x DVD burner
Dec 12th, 2005 at 7:06pm

hi everybody,

I have absolutely no problem with Ghost except one thing.... speed.  I have 2 70GB SCSI U160 drives to image and the transfer rate is about 190-210MB using 2.4x DVD+RW and it takes 4 hours. (plus swaping disc in and out)

Since my burner can take 8x DVD+RW, I bought some new 4x and 8x discs. However, I see no improvement. I am not looking at 4x or 8x faster but basically the transfer rate is still ~200MB, not even a little bit faster.

So is Ghost 2003 can only do 2.4x? or am I doing something wrong?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost 2003 with 16x DVD burner
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 8:27pm

Peter

Quote:
So is Ghost 2003 can only do 2.4x? or am I doing something wrong?

Probably nothing wrong!  My DVD drive burns at approx 90 MB /min when using Ghost in DOS--takes an hour for a 4.5 GB backup.

The speed of backups in DOS are dependent on the quality of the DOS drivers--which often do not match the speeds seen in the Windows environment--however I've seen reports of slow image writing to optical media within Windows using the Ghost 9/10 hot imaging from within Windows also.

The fastest way to image is to an internal HDD.  If you want the images on optical media--create the images to the HDD in sizes that will fit on your optical media, and then use a third party burning program to burn to your optical media.

Be aware that Ghost 2003 will refuse to *recognize* ghost images that are burned by third party burning programs unless you use DOS drivers that *mount* optical drives in *config.sys*--example:  Oakcdrom.sys--and drive letters are assigned by *mscdexe.exe* in *autoexec.bat*.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Peter

Re: Ghost 2003 with 16x DVD burner
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 3:25pm

Thanks NightOwl for your input. I appreciate that! I wonder if there are still people using DVDs for backup or just me.

I prefer to save my ext. hard disk for daily read/write tasks and use DVDs for backup. I backup once a month at most.

I am not sure I can find any vendor that is still supporting DOS drivers. If anyone knows any about that, please let me know. That can save me some time!!

I do have another question about Ghost 9/10's hot imaging. How reliable when you are imaging and using the computer at the same?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print