Send Topic Print
Transfer Image? (Read 11011 times)
Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Transfer Image?
Dec 13th, 2005 at 8:47am

Hi,

How can I burn the images on my drive, created using Ghost 2003, on to DVD media?

Regards.

Ivanov.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Transfer Image?
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 11:00am

Ivanov

Probably any program that supports creating a DVD data optical disk can be used to make a copy of the Ghost image files from a HDD onto a DVD.

If you want to change the size of the Ghost image files (max size in Ghost 2003 is approx 2 GB--DOS file size limitation that Ghost 2003 adhears to!)--read up on *Ghost Explorer* that is installed if you have the Ghost Windows interface installed--it can be used to load a image file set in Windows, and then re-save the image file set with a different size.

But, some folks have problems with how well Ghost Explorer works!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 11:24am

Thanks Mr. Night Owl,

For the clarification.
As regards Ghost explorer & image resize, I do have the windows interface installed & would let you know if I can resize.
Very true the Dos created images are all around less than 2 GB mostly 1.7 GB.

Regards!

Ivanov.

IP Logged

Yezinki

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 11:04pm

What is the method to transfer a 1.7 GB DOS created image to a CD media instead of a DVD media, where the max capacity is only around 650 MB?

Regards!

IP Logged

Zero

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:32am

You have to first break it up into pieces that are small enough to fit on a CD.

See this thread

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10307...

particularly replies # 3, 4 and 5.

You can also use WinZip if you have that.

IP Logged

yezinki

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:28am

Thanks for suggesting the informative link.
How does one restore such an image burnt on 2/3 CDs, booting with a PC DOS diskette.

IP Logged

Elmer

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 12:30pm

You would first have to put the image back together by loading it to a hard drive.

If you want to be able to restore an image from a CD, use Ghost to create the image and select your burner as the destination.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 1:44pm

yezinki

Quote:
What is the method to transfer a 1.7 GB DOS created image to a CD media instead of a DVD media, where the max capacity is only around 650 MB?

If you have the Windows Ghost interface installed, I would try using *Ghost Explorer*.

1.  Start Ghost Explorer and load the 1.7 GB image file.
2.  Select the menu item *View*, and then *Options...*--and select the image file size you want (for instance 600 MB to fit on a CD).
3.  Now select the menu item *File*, and then *Compile...*--give the new image set a new unique name so your original is not altered.
4.  Click the *Save* button, and Ghost Explorer will create the same image that you opened, but in the file sizes you specified in #2 above.

You would then burn these to CD and looks like you would have 3 CD's for this image set of 1.7 GB--and Ghost would ask for the next CD when doing a restore. 

Be aware that you must use a Ghost Boot disk that provides for mounting (ex. oakcdrom.sys in config.sys) and assigning a drive letter (ex. mscdexe.exe in autoexec.bat) to your optical drives--Ghost will refuse to *recognize* the image as a Ghost image if you simply load Ghost without CD/DVD support--even though Ghost may *see* you optical drives in the DOS Ghost interface without those DOS drivers--Ghost without the DOS drivers will only recognize a Ghost image on optical media if Ghost did the actual burning to the optical media in the first place.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print