Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do I Restart a Recovery Set? (Read 14753 times)
Joe

How do I Restart a Recovery Set?
Dec 13th, 2005 at 3:27pm

Using Ghost 10 let's say that I define a Recovery Set for drive d: The first backup will be a complete disk image. The second, third, and subsequent backups will be imcremental images each representing a Recovery Point. Can I get Ghost restart the Recovery Set by taking a new complete disk image. I don't think that limiting the number of recovery points within the Recovery Set will do this. It sounds like this will automatically delete the oldest incremental images leaving the initial full image in tack.

However, looking at the backup scheduling form there is an option to restart the Recovery Set periodically, say monthly. This is the only place that I can find any reference to restarting a Recovery Set. Unfornuately I can't use time-based scheduling because my system is on at irregular times and Ghost won't start a scheduled backup if the system is off at the scheduled start time.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: How do I Restart a Recovery Set?
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 3:58pm

Joe,

Quote:
Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
select the drive to backup, Next
choose Recovery point set (recommended), Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Choose your Limit..., ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Scheduled, click Define Custom Schedule
Scheduling tab,Top part is for the days and the time that Incremental recovery points will be created
Untick "Create more than one recovery point per day" if you only need one , otherwise choose the number of incremental recovery points
Choose frequency of Base recovery points at the bottom, eg weekly, monthly, etc
Click "Event trigger" tab, Choose any of the four, OK, Next
Tick "Create recovery point now" if you want it done before the scheduled time, Finish
Performance slider to Fast if you desire

Lets say you have a limit of 3 Recovery Point sets. Then set #4 is created before set #3 is deleted. The whole of set #3, base recovery point with incremental recovery points, is deleted.

The easy way to start a new recovery point set is to do it manually. In Ghost 9 you just right click the Backup job, Run Job Now, a Baseline backup. The sequence recommences.

Correction
   (Dec 14)   set #3 should read set #1

IP Logged

Joe

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:28pm

Brian,
So by setting a maximum number of recovery points in a recovery set, Ghost will restart the recovery set every n backups. That's good, however, I don't seem to be able to manually restart a recovery set. I wa excited to see your guidance on right-clicking the backup job, but the option to run a new baseline backup doesn't exist in Ghost 10. At least I don't see it. So it seems the only way I have to start a new baseline backup is to delete the current recovery set and then run the backup. This probably isn't a big deal its just seem to me to be a fairly basic function.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:42pm

Joe, does page 55 in the userguide apply. I'll setup the trial version again (disposable XP partition) and check it out later.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 10:22pm

Quote:
however, I don't seem to be able to manually restart a recovery set. I wa excited to see your guidance on right-clicking the backup job, but the option to run a new baseline backup doesn't exist in Ghost 10. At least I don't see it. So it seems the only way I have to start a new baseline backup is to delete the current recovery set and then run the backup. This probably isn't a big deal its just seem to me to be a fairly basic function.

Joe, this seems to be correct. I couldn't find a way to run a baseline backup manually although running an incremental backup manually is easy. I don't think I've ever chosen to run a Baseline backup from the right click menu in Ghost 9 anyway. I always choose incremental.

It's different from Ghost 9 in this respect but I don't see this as a problem. It wouldn't bother me. You don't lose any backup images. You just have to fill out another wizard.

IP Logged

Joe

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 1:22pm

Brian,

When I started this thread I was trying to find out if Ghost 10 could do something that I wanted to do in my backup strategy. Perhaps I should explain what I want to do to see if it makes sense.

I would like to create a Recovery Set then periodically archive this Recover Set (along with all of its recovery points) then start a new Recovery Set. So my thinking is to perform the archive as explained on page 77 then restart the Recovery Set by doing a new baseline backup. Does this make sense? I seems to me that this would be a fairly common approach.

As far as I can tell archiving the Recovery Set doesn't restart it. So if I do a backup using the same definition (let's call it RS) it will just perform another incremental backup. So I would have to delete the Recovery Set (baseline with all of its increments) and then run RS which should create a new baseline. I don't think that I can create another Recovery Set for the same partition via the wizard since Ghost only permits one Recovery Set per partition.  I don't know, maybe I over-engineering the solution but I really like the idea of Recovery Sets because the incremental backups are so fast I willing to do them more frequently then a full backup.

Joe

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 3:09pm

Quote:
I would like to create a Recovery Set then periodically archive this Recover Set (along with all of its recovery points) then start a new Recovery Set. So my thinking is to perform the archive as explained on page 77 then restart the Recovery Set by doing a new baseline backup.

Joe, this works. Create your Recovery Point Set and choose Monthly for the frequency of Baseline backups and choose your desired incremental frequency.  Whenever you want to create a new Baseline backup (sorry for mixing Ghost 9 and 10 terms) all you need do is move all files in the current recovery point set to a new folder somewhere on your computer. When you click "Backup Now" a Baseline backup is performed (and a new recovery point set commenced) because Ghost can't find the previous set.

You can now archive your new folder.

IP Logged

Joe

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 3:56pm

Thanks Brian! This is a simple and elegant solution. As I suspected I was over-engineering the solution.

What's your opinion of creating a partition on one disk just for Ghost backups? Then archiving the Recovery Sets to a large USB drive as you just described. I currently have two disks, one with two partitions (system and user data) and the other with larger less volatile files like music and video. The two partition disk is 80GB, the one partition disk is 120GB. I could split up the 120GB disk into two partitions. If this makes sense how big should the Ghost partition be?

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 5:00pm

Brian wrote on Dec 15th, 2005 at 3:09pm:
Joe, this works. Create your Recovery Point Set and choose Monthly for the frequency of Baseline backups and choose your desired incremental frequency.  Whenever you want to create a new Baseline backup (sorry for mixing Ghost 9 and 10 terms) all you need do is move all files in the current recovery point set to a new folder somewhere on your computer. When you click "Backup Now" a Baseline backup is performed (and a new recovery point set commenced) because Ghost can't find the previous set.

You can now archive your new folder.

Yes, that will work, but Ghost states that it will  reuse space automatically and you can limit the number of recovery sets.

I've found the same problem using an independent recovery set (see separate thread).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 10:58pm

Quote:
I could split up the 120GB disk into two partitions. If this makes sense how big should the Ghost partition be?

I don't think it really matters, Joe. I'd be inclined to have two partitions. One for Ghost and all other backups and the other partition for your music, video etc. Or leave it as one single partition. Your preference.

http://partition.radified.com/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print