HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Corrupt Ghost Image (Read 5387 times)
Dane Bramage

Corrupt Ghost Image
Dec 14th, 2005 at 4:14am

Hi There,
I have used ghost succesfully many times.
The other day I was fixing a mates puter, and while I was trying to restore data from a ghost image it flaked out on me and started spewing some message about a read write operation gone wrong, and now Ghost crashes when I try to open the file. (other ghost images open fine)
Does anyone know of a way to "fix" ghost images or of any other software that can view them?
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Cheers. . . . .

IP Logged

Poncho

Re: Corrupt Ghost Image
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 4:30am

Which version of Ghost.

Does it pass integrity check?

IP Logged

Dane Bramage

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:25am

I made the image with 2001, I'm trying to restore it with 2003.
I've never done an integrity check before, but I just tried, it reboots to DOS then looks like it is restoring it. It gets to 100% then reboots, I figure this means it passed, but I'm not sure.
Should I just restore the image from DOS and start afresh?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 11:32am

Dane Bramage

Quote:
I made the image with 2001, I'm trying to restore it with 2003.

Are you trying to use *Ghost Explorer* inside of Windows to restore individual files from a Ghost image?

If *yes*--Ghost Explorer has been troublesome for many--not entirely reliable--and trying to load an image from an older version of Ghost may only add to the problems.

Most folks trying to get at a file in a Ghost image where Ghost Explorer will not cooperate, have had success by restoring the image to a spare HDD or partition, and then copying the needed file(s) from there.

CAUTION:  If the image is of a bootable HDD, and you are restoring it to a spare HDD on a WinXP system (or other WinNT system)--make sure the spare HDD is not on the primary controller in the master position--it could screw up your booting.

That problem is not likely on most setups--but, be cautious.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Dane Bramage

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:24pm

Yeah, I was trying to restore it with Ghost Explorer, It worked OK, until the failed operation. I'm gonna try restoring it to another disk when I get a chance.
I'm not concerned about booting, all drives are slaves in my SATA box, and I have a spare PATA box to play with, where I don't care what I break.
Thanx for the tips all, I'll let you know how I go.

IP Logged

Dane Bramage

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:01am

Hi All,
I went to restore the file from DOS and then remembered my boot disk didn't have SATA drivers, out of laziness I stumbled upon a page at the Symantec help site which told me to try "path to ghost"\Ghostexp.exe -ignoreindex, which worked perfectly, I'd paste the link but it's too long, if you need help go to search.symantec.com and search for "corrupted image" you'll find the page.
I love Symantec, how come all Windows software (including Windows itself) can't just work like their stuff does.
Thanx for the help peeps, for anyone reading this for reference, I'm pretty sure both methods will work.
Cheers. . . . .

Edited by NightOwl, Dec. 15, 2005, at 6:30 am:

How about this reference:

How to handle a corrupted image file

Who would have thought there are *command line switches* to start the Windows Ghost Explorer!

Thanks for the tip  Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print