Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Format for ext. usb HD (Read 5928 times)
js2104

Format for ext. usb HD
Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:37pm

I have just bought a USB 160 gig HD to backup to using Ghost v10. It came formated FAT 32 ....do I need to reformat to NTFS?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Format for ext. usb HD
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:44pm

No, but FAT32 limits you to 2gb file sizes.  It is better (assuming you are using Windows XP) to reformat it NTFS.

Be sure your USB drive is plugged in and on.
Right click My Computer
Manage
Maximize the window
Select Disk Management
Verify you can see the USB drive
Right click on the USB drive and partition you want to modify,  and one of the options is Format.
(I'm assuming there is nothing on your USB drive yet).

CAUTION:  be sure you are selecting the correct drive!!  Reformatting is unreversible.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

js2104

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:50pm

Thanks Ghost....that is what I thought, but not being an expert I wanted validation...thanks again

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 3:01pm

I forgot to mention that you should test your Ghost 10 Recovery CD to make sure that it recognizes your external USB drive when you boot from the Ghost CD.
There are some issues with Ghost 10 not recognizing some external usb's under some circumstances.

See this thread for more info:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11318...

Let us know if your Recovery CD works for you.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 3:49pm

A description of the benefits of NTFS as compared to FAT may be found in the Microsoft article "NTFS vs. FAT: Which Is Right for You?" found at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october01.mspx

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 4:23pm

Ghost4me

Just to clarify--I believe FAT 32 and FAT 16 have a 4 GB file size limit--it's DOS that has the 2 GB file size limit.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 4:42pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 14th, 2005 at 4:23pm:
Ghost4me
Just to clarify--I believe FAT 32 and FAT 16 have a 4 GB file size limit--it's DOS that has the 2 GB file size limit.

Nightowl, good point.  Actually, it's not only DOS that has the 2gb limit.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Def...

Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems
Each file system supports a maximum volume size, file size, and number of files per volume. Because FAT16 and FAT32 volumes are limited to 4 GB and 32 GB respectively, you must use NTFS to create volumes larger than 32 GB. If you use FAT16 or FAT32 in computers that start multiple operating systems, you must note the following size limitations:

FAT volumes smaller than 16 MB are formatted as FAT12.

FAT16 volumes larger than 2 GB are not accessible from computers running MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, and many other operating systems. This limitation occurs because these operating systems do not support cluster sizes larger than 32 KB, which results in the 2 GB limit.

In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print