Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003, there are NO .GHO file (Read 14174 times)
Bruce
Dude

The hurrier i go the behinder
i get.

Ghost 2003, there are NO .GHO file
Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:14pm

I have windows XP, I made an image, and I can boot from the first CD, but then it wants me to find a *.GHO file to restore from.  The only files on the CD are:

Directory of A:\

IBMBIO   COM        44,240  12-13-05  4:39p
IBMDOS   COM        42,550  12-13-05  4:39p
COMMAND  COM        53,786  12-13-05  4:39p
GHOST          <DIR>        12-13-05  4:39p
_BOOT_HD NOZ             0  12-13-05  4:39p
AUTOEXEC.BAT            74  12-13-05  4:39p
CONFIG   SYS            13  12-13-05  4:39p

Directory of A:\GHOST

.              <DIR>        12-13-05  4:39p
..             <DIR>        12-13-05  4:39p
GHOST    EXE     1,031,428  12-13-05  4:39p
        3 file(s)      1,031,428 bytes

THERE ARE NO *.GHO files! 

HELP!

IP Logged

Spanky

Re: Ghost 2003, there are NO .GHO file
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:56pm

Your CD is your A: drive?

Usually that's a floppy drive.

How much size total on the CD?

IP Logged

Bruce
Dude

i get.

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:46pm

Yes, Ghost is calling the CD the A drive.  I have no floppy drives, just the CD and the 40 gig hard drive.  These CDs are 700mb.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 8:39pm

Bruce

Quote:
I have windows XP, I made an image,

1.  Please explain how you used Ghost to *make an image*.

2.  What version of Ghost are you using?

3.  If you *look* at the data portion of the CD using Windows Explorer--do you see *.gho* file(s) on the optical media?

4.  Are you loading the Ghost program--and do you find your optical drives listed as a source device if doing *Local >Check >Image File*

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Bruce
Dude

i get.

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 8:55pm

I'm taking a new image.  I worked in DOS years ago, before there was windows, and there ain't no *.GHO file.

I have ghost 2003.
I didn't use explorer to look at the CD, I used DOS, and it does not show any .GHO files.

Here's what I'm doing:

I start the "Backup wizard" I'm given
Source:  only choice is Disk 1 (C: )
Destination: 2 choices, File, Recordable CD or DVD (I select CD or DVD)

Image file name:  CDR00001.GHO (I can't change it)
Default Image Decription:
Backup image of Disk 1 with partition (C: )
Backup taken on 12/14/2005

I get a message about the Firewire storage controller...

I click "advanced settings", there are 9 tabs.

Tab 1, External Storage
Should I check No USB drivers, USB 1.1 Drivers, USB 2.0 drivers?  It says "select USB 2.0 only if ALL your USB devices, cards, and chipsets are USB 2.0.  For any other combination select USB 1.1.
I checked USB 2.0

Should I check Firewire support?  I left it blank.

Should I check Assign drive letters?  It says "This option assigns drive letters to external storage devices, including USB devices and ZIP drives."  This box checked itself when I checked USB 2.0 drivers.

Tab 2. SCSI Drivers:
I can check ASPI2DOS.SYS, ASPI4DOS.SYS, ASPI8DOS.SYS, ASPI8U2.SYS?  It has a button "Auto-Detect SCSI drivers"?  I click it and it says "No additional SCSI drivers were detected", so I don't check any SCSI drivers.

Tab 3. User Files
It has
AUTOEXEC.BAT additions
CONFIG.SYS Additions
Add files
Add Directory
I'll leave all them blank.

Tab 4. CD Drivers
"Select this option to assign DOS drive letters to CD/DVD drives.  This is required only if drive letter access is needed during Run Ghost Interactively, Peer-to-Peer, or Create Virtual Partition tasks. I didn't check "Assign drive letters to CD/DVD drives".

Tab 5. Ghost Command Line
Should I enter anything in the "additional options for the Ghost command line"

Tab 6. Image Password
I did not check "Prompt for an image password?

Tab 7. Virtual Partition Free Space
It's defaulted at 2 MB, should I change it?  I didn't.

Tab 8. Mapped Network Drive
I left this blank

Tab 9. Compression
It's defaulted to Fast, I left it there.

Now I"m told Ghost will restart my computer.

It tells me to be sure to run the stupid ass "integrity check", integrity my ass, all the integrity in the world doesn't help if there ain't a damn *.GHO file!

Now it has "Norton Ghost task summary:

Backup Task
Source:    Disk 1
Destination: Writable CD or DVD with valid media
Approximate size of backup image: 4460 MB

Options:
Use PC DOS
Fast compression
Additional Virtual Partition free space: 2 MB

Drivers:
USB 2.0 driver (aspiehci.sys)
Assigm drive letters to external storage devices

I check "run now", he warns me, then restarts.

This seems like what I did last time, any idea what I'm doing
wrong?

Thanks

IP Logged

Bruce
Dude

i get.

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:14pm

Well, I figured something out.  When I boot from my ghost backup (disk 1), and DOS comes up, and I do a DIR A:, I don't have any *.GHO files.  But, if I take the disk and use windows / my computer and click the disk drive, it shows CDR000001.GHO, and nothing else.  If I get into dos the normal way (command in the run window), and do dir d:, I get the CDR000001.GHO file.  Maybe I needed to check the "assign drive letter" box.

I doubt if I'm going to make a different backup, the first disk looks like the first disk of my last back up.  I just don't know how to do the restore.  It tells me to find the *.GHO file, but there aint one there.  Maybe I need to change the drive letter (A:) somehow.

I've got another hour to wait.  God what a time waster!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 12:24am

Bruce

To make optical media bootable, a special boot sector is created that acts like a floppy disk (a virtual floppy disk) when you boot from the optical media--only the necessary DOS boot files and the ghost.exe are going to be there.

The Ghost image file (.gho) is going to be on the *data* part of the optical media--so if you can only access the A:\ part of the optical media--you will not see the *data* part of the optical media--and therefore--no .gho file(s).

It looks like Ghost may not be totally compatible with your optical drive--apparently it *sees* your optical drive for writing to it when you start Ghost from Windows--Ghost is creating a .gho file--but, when you boot from the bootable CD, it is not able to access the drive for *reading* and therefore *seeing* the .gho file!

If Ghost was totally compatible with your optical drive--then once Ghost is loaded from the bootable CD, and you are selecting your source or destination drives--your optical drive should be available as a choice--it would have a name like *@CDxxxxx01-Drive Description*--I forget the exact syntax.

But, not all is lost--you could try that:

Quote:
Tab 4. CD Drivers
"Select this option to assign DOS drive letters to CD/DVD drives.  This is required only if drive letter access is needed during Run Ghost Interactively, Peer-to-Peer, or Create Virtual Partition tasks. I didn't check "Assign drive letters to CD/DVD drives".

You could check that and see if the bootable CD will now assign a drive letter to your optical drive when it boots--but, based on the description--this may only help when using Ghost from the Windows interface, and not from the bootable optical media--I'm not sure about this.

Alternatively, here's a solution that should work:

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

When you boot using the bootable optical media, Ghost starts automatically--correct?  Quit Ghost, and at the A:\ prompt, can you use the DOS command to change drives to the D:\ drive (if your WinXP is a NTFS partition, then in DOS--which can not see NTFS partitions, your optical drive will be C:\!)?  If not, then there are no DOS drivers to *mount* and *assign* drive letters to your optical drive.

Post here the contents of the *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* files on the A:\ drive after booting with the bootable optical media.

If *config.sys* does not load a driver such as *oakcdrom.sys*, which *mounts* the optical drive--and *autoexec.bat* does not load *mscdexe.exe*, which assigns the drive letter to a mounted optical drive, then you will not have access to the drive in DOS--unless Ghost is compatible and *sees* the drive within the DOS Ghost interface.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Bruce
Dude

i get.

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:23pm

Nightowl,

Thanks for the input.  I called the free number and got fixed up.  I did not understand about the boot sector on the cd.  I actually made 2 back ups, one with assigning drive letters and one without.  After I understood that the CD is accessed using different drive letters, I can find the *.GHO files.  On one set of back ups I need to look on drive "C" (the back up that had drive letters assigned).  On the other set of back ups, the *.GHO files are on @CD-R1.  When I boot from the back-up CD # 1 (into DOS), I select Local, Disk, From Image.  I get the "image file to restore from" screen.  But it is defaulted to drive A, and I need to change that drive to find the *.GHO file.  The config.sys file only has LASTDRIVE=Z in it.  I don't know how it's able to read the cd.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:31pm

Bruce

Glad to hear it's working out--

Quote:
I don't know how it's able to read the cd.

That's Ghost's *built-in* support for optical drives that it is compatible with--if Ghost isn't compatible, then you need the separate DOS drivers that mount and assign drive letters to the optical drives in DOS.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print