Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Required Mr. Christer's comments on XP installatio (Read 29456 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Required Mr. Christer's comments on XP install
Reply #30 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 5:09pm

Hello Ivanov!

Quote:
I hope you aren’t getting offended by simple/ stupid queries. Please do realize that am new to this computer related stuff, but a fast learner too. (I think so.)

There are no stupid quiries ...... Wink ...... only dumb answers!

Quote:
Firstly regarding Spy bot, I use it in the advanced mode option. When opened in this mode, on the left corner is “Settings”. The last one is “Ignore System Internals”, in that I found the 4 errors regarding Java missing shared dll, Install exe. wrong path, Winnt32.exe. wrong path & MsoHtmEd.exe wrong path.

Hmm ...... Embarrassed ...... I have used Spybot for years but only ever hit two buttons, "Search for Updates" and "Check for problems". I have the same entries as you do. It says that they are detections that I (myself) have excluded but I don't remember having done that.

Quote:
If you go in the section beneath Settings is the “Tools”.  That shows the Startup programs, where I found the MS dumping tool.

I don't have it (now) but I remember that I found it in the RUN section of the registry on one occasion. I don't remember what I did but once invoked, it remains in the RUN section. I deleted it manually and had no problems. I will try to remember ...... ??? ...... !

Quote:
Just a point I noted while online. If one subscribes to this site, having a hotmail account, one can be notified about an Office Product Alerts?

http://www.microsoft.com/office/using/newsletter.mspx

I had a quick look and it seems like you can subscribe to different "notifications". However, and I quote from that site:

Quote:
Then sign in to Microsoft .NET Passport with your e-mail address (or register for a .NET Passport and then sign in).

I once had a Microsoft .NET Passport linked to my hotmail account (which I have for trash). At that time, I had trouble with Windows Messenger auto-starting and logging me on. All of a sudden a message popped up, informing me that someone wanted to chat with me. It was totally random and very efficient at pissing me off. It took a while to put the Passport in connection with the problem and how to remove it from the computer but once removed, Windows Messenger has behaved itself. I wouldn't touch such a Passport with a ten-foot pole!

Quote:
What happens to a Ghost image, if that drive is defragmented?

If the defragmenter is smart, then it doesn't even try but if it is less so, it may go sour. An image file is large. I have set a split at 650 MB to be able to burn to CD's if the need should arise. The last span of the image may be smaller, anything from a few kB to 650 MB. So, if one span gets fragmented, the percentage of fragmented files is high.

How the files get fragmented depends on the file system:

On FAT32, Ghost 2003 leaves a tiny slack space between each span of an Image but the files themselves are not fragmented. The defragmenter will "fix" that slack space but a lot of things can go wrong when a file is moved a fraction of its size.

See: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/Engdahl/Ghost/E-drive-FAT32-created.jpg

On NTFS, Ghost does not leave any slack space between the spans but there are two obstructions to Ghost, the reserved MFT (Master File Table) zone and the copy of the first MFT entry. When the writing gets to one of the obstructions, the file will be parted in two, technically "fragmented" but not really.

See: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/Engdahl/Ghost/G-drive-NTFS-created.jpg

Quote:
As you mentioned you create & delete several images according to your needs/ requirements. The first basic/ Master one always stays……. Supposing you find new updates for XP or Office, which image shall you restore to install those, the last best or the first basic?

During the last installation, I created six Images at different stages and all of those are sacred. I have them on two partitions on two different hard disks. The monthly image is by me considered to be a "snapshot" for speedy recovery with no reinstallation whatsoever. When a new "snapshot" is created, all previous ones get obsolete and when the partition gets full, they get deleted.

As long as things work OK, I install new updates and new applications as I wish. Of course, I do some house cleaning prior to creating a new "snapshot" but I don't roll back unless I have a specific reason. One such reason is the expiry of my Norton Internet Security 2003 subscription. When that happens, I will roll back to the Image created prior to installing Norton and take it from there. I will have to reinstall quite a few updates and some programs but it sure beats removing Norton manually. I estimate ~2 hours of work and the creation of two new Images,  one with only the "rolled back" updates reinstalled and the new Norton installed and another with the other programs reinstalled. Those programs are overdue for reinstallation since they have all been superseeded by new versions.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

yezinki

Reply #31 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 4:05pm

Hello Mr. Christer,

Please correct me where I am wrong, regarding Ghost images & defragmentation.

Did your answer imply the following?

Is it better to save images on a FAT32 than an NTFS drive?

Supposing if it doesn’t make any difference, than is it wise not to defragment that NTFS drive?

Are only Ghost images affected on a NTFS drive, if a defragger is used or any type of data/ soft wares affected?

Lastly, supposing if the drive doesn’t show or have any bad sectors/ clusters, is it good enough to perform a Quick format even for a fresh install?

Does a Full, Zero fill format have any adverse affect on a drive (if performed frequently)?

I apologize for my poor understanding & comprehension of your technical comments & images.

Regards!
Ivanov.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #32 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 5:50pm

Hello Ivanov!

Quote:
Is it better to save images on a FAT32 than an NTFS drive?

From a reliability point of view: No, it doesn't matter which file system the target partition is formated.

From a performance point of view: It differs from system to system depending on the hardware (chip set drivers and hard disk firmware). On my system, creating to NTFS is executed at ~900 MB/min but to FAT32 at ~150 MB/min. There is a loooooong topic on the issue but we (including SS = Symantec Support) did not find the reason. Other members of this forum had different experiences but in general, NTFS is the safe(st) bet.

Quote:
Supposing if it doesn’t make any difference, than is it wise not to defragment that NTFS drive?

No matter which file system - do not defragment.

Quote:
Are only Ghost images affected on a NTFS drive, if a defragger is used or any type of data/ soft wares affected?

A ghost image consists of large files which may be in two fragments and as I said earlier, that's not really fragmented. I also explained why I (personally) believe it may go wrong.

Other files that are written to by the system or a program or even the user may be in tens or hundreds of fragments ...... Shocked ...... and that IS fragmented. All these fragments are merged into a contigous space as an unfragmented file.

Quote:
Lastly, supposing if the drive doesn’t show or have any bad sectors/ clusters, is it good enough to perform a Quick format even for a fresh install?

Even if the drive doesn't show anything, you can not be sure unless you run a utility to check the hard disk. Each manufacturer have their own utility. I (almost) never run those utilities but I always do a full format. The time it takes may feel looong but it is a basic test of the hard disk.

Quote:
Does a Full, Zero fill format have any adverse affect on a drive (if performed frequently)?

No but I don't see why you would want to do that "frequently".

I have done it once on a IBM Deskstar 60GXP. This model is plagued by unreliability issues and has been called the "Deathstar". The IBM Drive Fitness Test found nothing wrong with it and I'm still using it to temporarily backup systems that I'm working on.

Quote:
I apologize for my poor understanding & comprehension of your technical comments & images.

No reason for apologies. It's difficult to give non technical answers to technical questions, though.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

yezinki

Reply #33 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 9:21am

Hello Mr. Christer,

Thanks a lot for taking out the time & replying to all my queries regarding XP, Imaging etc.

I really do appreciate your kind & valued assistance.

I might bother you again some time.

Till than take care.
Regards!
Ivanov.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #34 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 9:52am

Ivanov,
you're welcome ...... Smiley ...... !