Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thunderbird and this forum (Read 5586 times)
Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Thunderbird and this forum
Dec 19th, 2005 at 6:02pm

I get email notifications when a message is posted to a topic for which I have requested notification.

However, there seems to be a problem in Thunderbird 1.0.7 when searching for messages from these forums.

Thunderbird does not provide a list of just received messages, so it is necessary to create such a list by defining a search in Thunderbird.

I search for all messages with a Status of "Isn't read".

The search ALWAYS fails to find messages from these forums.
Are non-standard mail headers being sent?

Anybody else with Thunderbird 1.0.7 see the same problem?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Thunderbird and this forum
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 10:33pm

Howard,

I haven't heard of this before, nor am I familiar with the details of the emails sent by the forum. If you're determined to find an answer, the YaBB sppt forums are here:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=supp_nix

Radified uses a Unix-based server:

http://www.communitech.net/products/virtual/unix/comparisons/ (standard, running Solaris operating system)

with YaBB SP1.4

A new version of YaBB has been released: v2.1, which I've been looking at to upgrade to.

I noticed where it says for v2.1:

http://www.yabbforum.com/downloads.php

"Description:
This release is a highly recommended update, as it fixes many bugs, closes security issues, and provides a few feature enhancements. Most notably include:
SMTP mailing improvements
,..."

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 8:36am

Rad wrote on Dec 19th, 2005 at 10:33pm:
Howard,

I haven't heard of this before, nor am I familiar with the details of the emails sent by the forum. If you're determined to find an answer, the YaBB sppt forums are here:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=supp_nix

Radified uses a Unix-based server:

http://www.communitech.net/products/virtual/unix/comparisons/ (standard, running Solaris operating system)

with YaBB SP1.4

A new version of YaBB has been released: v2.1, which I've been looking at to upgrade to.

I noticed where it says for v2.1:

http://www.yabbforum.com/downloads.php

"Description:
This release is a highly recommended update, as it fixes many bugs, closes security issues, and provides a few feature enhancements. Most notably include:
SMTP mailing improvements
,..."

Post here when you install 2.1, and I'll let you know whether the problem still occurs.

This morning, I found 4 such messages from this forum that were sent yesterday. So there's either a bug in the forum software or in Thunderbird.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 10:44am

Howard Kaikow

Quote:
Thunderbird does not provide a list of just received messages, so it is necessary to create such a list by defining a search in Thunderbird.

I do not have Thunderbird--but, seems odd that you can't set it to list email by *date/time* received in ascending or decencing order.

And, once read, does the program indicate that the email has been read?  There may be a setting in the program's options to control this behavior.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 12:10pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 20th, 2005 at 10:44am:
Howard Kaikow

I do not have Thunderbird--but, seems odd that you can't set it to list email by *date/time* received in ascending or decencing order.

And, once read, does the program indicate that the email has been read?  There may be a setting in the program's options to control this behavior.

The problem is due to filtering. If I did not filter incoming mail, all messages would be in the Inbox, but that's not very useful.

I, and I expect many others, filter their incoming messages. In my case, I have a few hundred mailboxes, many of which are the target of some filters.

The mail from radified gets filtered into its own mail box.

When Thunderbird receives mail, it is supposed to bolden the name of each mailbox that has unread mail. This presents two problems:

1. The bolding does not always work.
2. If the mail is filtered into many mailboxes, it is very tedious to search thru the tree of mailboxes to find where unread mail lives.

The solution is to create a Search in Thunderbird, and tell Thunderbird to save the Search as a named "mailbox".

So, immediately after mail is recieived, I click on the Search entity and Thunderbird initiates a search for messages, using the criteria I have specified. The list is placed in the mailbox I have reserved for the Search. the relevant criteria is "Status isn't read".

In addition, if the focus is on the Search mailbox, while getting mail, the list appears to be automatically created while the mail is being downloaded from the server. But one has to first select the Search mailbox, which causes an initial search to occur anyway.

Note that, in the Thunderbird forums, a number of us have requested that Thunderbird provide an easier way to get a list of just received messages.

Alas, the messages from these forums are NEVER found by the Search.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 12:28pm

Howard Kaikow

Wow!

Don't take this wrong--I'm not trying to make negative responses--just some observations from my point of view:

Quote:
I have a few hundred mailboxes, many of which are the target of some filters.

Yikes--I'm glad I have refused to use email as a major form of communications!  I could never keep track of that many mailboxes, let alone the email sent to them!

Quote:
1. The bolding does not always work.

I guess Thunderbird is not a very reliable email client.

Quote:
2. If the mail is filtered into many mailboxes, it is very tedious to search thru the tree of mailboxes to find where unread mail lives.

The solution is to create a Search in Thunderbird, and tell Thunderbird to save the Search as a named "mailbox".

So, immediately after mail is recieived, I click on the Search entity and Thunderbird initiates a search for messages, using the criteria I have specified. The list is placed in the mailbox I have reserved for the Search. the relevant criteria is "Status isn't read".

Okay--how is it any different from receiving all your email in one *Inbox* folder, if you are going to search for all unread emails and have the search function put them in one mail box?

Quote:

Perhaps you have become a *slave* to your own system of complexity!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 12:55pm

[quote ]
Okay--how is it any different from receiving all your email in one *Inbox* folder, if you are going to search for all unread emails and have the search function put them in one mail box?
[/quote]

The filtrering tosses out most/many messages into Trash, others into mailboxes that are almost always SPAM, and helps keep track  of things.

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 1:42pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 20th, 2005 at 12:28pm:
Yikes--I'm glad I have refused to use email as a major form of communications!  I could never keep track of that many mailboxes, let alone the email sent to them!

I just counted the mailboxes. There are 1002.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print