Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Ghost 10.0 designed for large Drives? (Read 2709 times)
cbrown
Ex Member

Is Ghost 10.0 designed for large Drives?
Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:10pm

I am looking for some feedback. I installed Ghost 10.0 on a top end machine and began a struggle initiating four separate on-line service chats with Symantec and a lot of frustration. The PC has two 400 GB internal HD’s. My objective was to save an image of C: on D:--sounds simple. The process in a nutshell was to uninstall all Norton products, clear the registry of any folders or keys referencing Norton or Symantec and perform a clean boot turning off all but essential Windows apps and reinstall Ghost.  It still did not work, returning an error of “Cannot determine protection.” In the end, the Symantec tech decided my HD’s were not mounted and I needed to contact MS Technical Service…

I tried again with a different PC with internal C: (120GB) and D: (250GB) drives. It seemed to install OK, but froze the computer at approximately 10% completion of the initial backup. I went through the above related process of removal, but this time I partitioned D: drive into two ~120GB drives and then reinstalled Ghost. This time everything worked according to Symantec claims.  Does anyone suspect that Ghost has a problem with the large HD’s, or is just me? I have no intention of partitioning my 400GB drives, so I suppose it is time to give up the ‘Ghost.’  Comments?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Re: Is Ghost 10.0 designed for large Drives?
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:26pm

Cbrown, I searched the Norton Ghost 10.0 User's Guide and found no indication that the utility is constrained by the size of the hard disk being backed up.

I suspect that the problem of Ghost 10 'freezing' during the backup process is unrelated to hard disk size (despite your experiment suggesting the contrary).  A few users of Ghost 10 have reported a similar phenomenon.  However, I am unaware that the root cause of the difficulty has been determined.

I recommend that you systematically disable background processes (e.g., a continuous disk defragmentation) in order to attempt to identify what is conflicting with Ghost 10.

Please report back on the results of your efforts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print