Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Network Boot CD Error (Read 2306 times)
ryandhorst
Ex Member

Ghost Network Boot CD Error
Dec 29th, 2005 at 8:53pm

Have been working for a long while and been down many paths with this problem.  Here is what i am doing.

My company has between 10-15 types of machines which i have made images for each.  They all have different NIC's conveniently.  I am using Symantec Ghost 8.0 Enterprise.  I have created many different drivers for use with the multicard option in the Ghost Boot Wizard.  They all work fine on the floppy, but when i use nero or EZ cd creator, then try to boot a pc or laptop from the newly created cd, it loads everything up until it has to copy the driver files - then gives this error:

"error truncating file"

My guess is that it is writing part of the file for the specific card that it found onto the Floppy just fine, but the cd can not be written to - so it gives the error.  This is about as far as my DOS knowledge goes.  I am testing as i am writing this to see if it in fact does write a file to the floppy.   i know that many have tried this and attained mixed results.  Here are my *autoexec.bat* & *config.sys*  files for review.

~autoexec.bat~

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+06:00
prompt $p$g
a:\mscdex.exe /d:MTMide01 /L:Z
call \net\doit.bat
\net\netbind.com
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
z:\ghost.exe

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

~config.sys~

[menu]
menuitem=FROMFLPY, This computer was started from a Ghost boot disk
menuitem=FROMCD, This computer was started from a Ghost bootable CD

[FROMFLPY]

[FROMCD]
device=a:\mtmcdai.sys /d:mtmide01

[COMMON]
DEVICE=\net\pcidet.dos
DEVICE=\net\protman.dos /I:\net
DEVICE=\net\dis_pkt.dos
LASTDRIVE = Z

What can i do to stop this error?  If when booting from a cd, it needs to write to somewhere, can i tell it to write to the c: drive, or a ramdisk perhaps.  i dont know much about ramdrives though, so ill need a bit for guidance in using it if the need arises.  NOTE:  Just as i suspected, it is writing a file.  The file is called DOIT.BAT, here is the contents

~DOIT.BAT~

DEVICE \net\card6\B57.dos

My NIC for this machine is a Broadcom 57xx NetXtreme Family v8.28 Driver, which the B57.dos stands for, but why does it need this file, it just replicates a file located in the card6 folder, cant it just use that one?  My apology for the rant, i feel like im talking to myself.  (I have been) they say its the first sign of insanity)-(probably only insanity if you are answering yourself) 

I feel ive given somebody enough to chew on for a bit.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Ryan D. Horst
Information Services
Adesta, LLC
Omaha, NE  68102

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost Network Boot CD Error
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 11:49pm

ryandhorst

Maybe this will help:

How to Create a Ghost 8.0 Network Boot CD

The main item I noted that was absent in the above reference compared to your efforts was:

*DEVICE=\net\pcidet.dos*

that is in your config.sys file.  Is that a program to detect the net card that is on the machine?

Here's the config.sys sub-menu from the above reference that appears to be similar to your net card:

Quote:
[B57]
DEVICE=\B57\protman.dos /I:\B57
DEVICE=\B57\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\B57\B57.dos

The last line looks vaguely familiar to the information generated to create your *DOIT.BAT*--the last line is included in the reference's sub-menu--whereas yours does not have that included.

Have you pressed F8 during bootup so you can select the *step-by-step* confirmation of each DOS command to see where the boot sequence fails?

Hope this helps!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

ryandhorst
Ex Member

Re: Ghost Network Boot CD Error
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 1:04am

Doh!,  I actually printed that how-to yesterday and just forgot that it read it.  I was reading it for a different project and didnt read the whole doc.  Kind of a pain that thats how it has to be but its still better than having 2 floppies.  I'd still rather have it auto-load the drivers and go directly into ghost without user intervention, but i just dont think there is another way.  I will follow that how-to and make a disk, but i will still keep trying to get the no-user interv. part down. If i do, i will definitely post my findings.  Thank you very much for your qwik response, that was very cool.  Have a good one.

-ryan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print