Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton GHost 2003 can't create USB recovery CD (Read 6965 times)
magicwhale
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Norton GHost 2003 can't create USB recovery CD
Jan 2nd, 2006 at 10:28pm

I have an IBM T30 laptop. I'm running Windows XP which reduces my options for creating a PC DOS startup CD, which is the recovery boot cd i want to create (dos plus cd driver plus ghost ).  My backup image is stored on a backup hardrive in my ultrabay.

Ghost 2003 doesn't see my USB 1.1 Iomega CD-RW when I try to create a recovery disk. Ghost does NOT see the USB CDRW drive even though windows DOES.

The CDRW is directtly connected to the
USB1.1 port.  I tried creating the recovery disk from both windows and from the
Ghost dos opiton.  In both cases, I aksed ghost to use USB 1.1 for a CD drive, and asked it to reassign drive letters.  The next screen gives only a floppy drive destination option.  The write then fails.  If I DEselect the FORMAT floppy option  it gives an Error 3 and says can't find A: IBMBIO.com.

I assume I have the proper USB device drivers because Windows can write to the device just fine.

What should I do?  I can't use a floppy because the ultrabay is occupied by the drive with the backup image and the only other way to attach a floppy is with USB 1.1 which Ghost already doesn't recognize.  Right?

If there is no fix with Ghost 2003, I do have Ghost 10.0.  Is this a reliable product?  Should I just go with that and avoid all the workarounds with 2003?

THANKS THANKS THANKS

IP Logged

Bruce
Dude

The hurrier i go the behinder
i get.

Re: Norton GHost 2003 can't create USB recovery CD
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 12:48am

I'm no expert, I just managed to make a backup image and restore it.  There are people here that really have it down, so you came to the right place.  You might try emailing technicalsupport@symantec.iseva.net.  Also, check out their live support.  You'll get a guy in india.  I thought it was a waste of time, but within an hour he had me fixed up.

Like I said, I'm no expert.  I use 2003, and from what everyone says, that's better than ghost 9 or 10 because it runs out of DOS.  I assume you have ghost installed ( you can run ghost with out installing it).  You might try running ghost out of windows to make your back up using all the defaults, no usb support, see if that works.

I finally got it to work, it took hours, but having gone through the pain of having a crashed system that I couldn't fix, it's worth it.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 2:51am

magicwhale

Quote:
Ghost 2003 doesn't see my USB 1.1 Iomega CD-RW when I try to create a recovery disk. Ghost does NOT see the USB CDRW drive even though windows DOES.

Ghost's Boot Wizard only creates floppy boot disks--not boot CD's. 

Windows drivers for USB have no relationship to DOS drivers for USB.

Quote:
I tried creating the recovery disk from both windows and from the Ghost dos opiton.

Not sure what this means--*Ghost dos opiton*?

In Ghost's Windows interface, does Ghost *see* your USB CD-RW drive?

If you save your image to optical media using the Ghost Windows interface--Ghost will ask if you want to make the optical media bootable--make sure you have included the 1.1 USB DOS driver--and say *yes* to making the optical media bootable.

But, I'm not sure Ghost's DOS USB driver will work with CD-RW's--maybe only external USB HDD's--it may, but I don't know.  Here's a reference that talks about using a non-Ghost DOS USB driver that works with USB CD drives:

Yes, there are USB drivers for DOS...

You may have to *create* your own custom made CD boot disc if you want Ghost to work with your USB optical drive:

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

Quote:
I do have Ghost 10.0.  Is this a reliable product?  Should I just go with that and avoid all the workarounds with 2003?

If you're not up to the creation of the boot CD, then Ghost 10.x may help--but there are reports that USB and Ghost 10.x are not working particularly well!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

magicwhale
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 11:21pm

Hey Night Owl!

Awesome tips.  Thanks.  I can't get on this until Friday but I'm on it then.

IP Logged

magicwhale
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 3:16am

HELP me with the USB CD boot disk creation.  I'm stuck.

I used WINIMAGE.EXE to create a boot CD ..IMG file, using the OAK driver.  I followed the directions in PROJECT 1.  I was able to burn it to a CD as a 1.44 MB boot CD.  However, DOS didn't see the USB CD drive on bootup.

So... I created a new image using the Panasonic USB driver.

BUT when I tried to get WINIMAGE.EXE to create the boot image, it created an image that was 1.22 MB.  My boot CD burner would not use the image because it was not 1.44 MB.

I reviewed the directions and did everything correctly. 

What's up?  I need to get this fixed. ???????

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 11:40am

magicwhale

Post the contents of your *config.sys* file, and*autoexec.bat* file, and a list of files you are including in the boot image file.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

magicwhale
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 1:16am

Please help.

HERE'S MY OAKCDROM DRIVER APPROACH:

Boot Image files:

Autoexec.bat
Command.com
Config.sys
ghost.exe
IO.SYS
mouse.com
OAKCDROM.SYS

Config.Sys:
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:USB1_CD_RW
lastdrive=z

Autoexec.bat:
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:USB1_CD_RW /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe

HERE'S MY USBASPI DRIVER APPROACH WHERE WINIMAGE WOULDN'T CREATE THE 1.4 MB DISKETTE BOOT IMAGE

Boot Image files:

Autoexec.bat
Command.com
Config.sys
ghost.exe
IO.SYS
mouse.com
USBASPI.SYS

Config.sys:
device=Usbaspi.sys /d:USB1_CD_RW
lastdrive=z

Autoexec.bat:
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:USB1_CD_RW /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 2:56am

magicwhale

Quote:
BUT when I tried to get WINIMAGE.EXE to create the boot image, it created an image that was 1.22 MB.  My boot CD burner would not use the image because it was not 1.44 MB.

Are you selecting the 1.44 boot image size in WinImage like this:

I do not have a USB optical drive--so I can't say I know that this works--but see this article and read it carefully:

Yes, there are USB drivers for DOS...

It says you need *
USBCD.SYS
* for a DOS driver for a USB optical drive--not *oakcdrom.sys* which is for an IDE optical drive, and *Usbaspi.sys* is for USB HDD's.

The article says you need these lines (in yellow) to mount and assign a drive letter to a USB optical drive:

[config.sys]

DOS=HIGH,UMB
lastdrive=Z
device=HIMEM.SYS
devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e
devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
devicehigh=USBCD.SYS /d:USBCD001

[autoexec.bat]

@echo off
LH MSCDEX /d:USBCD001

You will find the *USBCD.SYS* DOS driver in the same sub-directory as the *USBASPI.SYS* DOS driver for the Panasonic USB DOS driver.

v2.06
, size=37,903, dated 11/26/2002

v2.15
, size=39,093, dated 10/26/2003

v2.20
, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* subdirectory--*USBCD.SYS* will also be there.

Your list of files on the boot disk appears to be missing *MSDOS.SYS*.

You would replace the *oakcdrom.sys* with the *USBCD.SYs* file.

Let us know if this helps.

IP Logged

magicwhale
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:11am

I SPENT ANOTHER 6 HOURS TRYING TO MAKE THIS WORK.

This black hole is not worth it. At this point, I'm only willing to expend more energy with Norton 2003 if someone can give me a QUICK solution.  Otherwise, I need to find viable options NOW.
  a. I can't create any kind of USB CD boot disk with 2003.  Is it a worthwhile backup program without it?
  b. Could I buy a serial port floppy and would my IBM T30 and ghost 2003 work with that?
  c. Would ghost 2003 support a USB floppy if I bought one?
  d. I also have Ghost 10.0.  Does it create USB CD boot disks?
  e. Can you suggest ANOTHER PRODUCT?  What about the freeware product COPYCLONER?

Finally, I will summarize my current efforts in the event that you will see some obvious soultion for Ghost 2003 when you see what I've done so far.

I created a viable boot image file at 1.4 MB and made sure all the necessary files were on it.

I modified the config.sys and the autoexec.bat with the new command lines you recommended and with the USBCD.sys files; however, I made attempts with both a USBCD1.sys file and USBCD2.sys since I couldn't find the USBCD file and assumed that versions 1 and 2 might work.  NOPE. 

I've attached the files for you to review, showing USBCD1.

[autoexec.bat]
\path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
LH mscedex /d:USBCD001
ghost.exe

[config.sys]
device=USBCD1.SYS /d:USB1CDRW
lastdrive=z

The other issue is that there are so other variables that could be going wrong:

1. Perhaps the boot disk protocol my CD-RW uses to create a bootdisk is incompatible with my IBMT30 laptop with Windows XP Service Pack 2.  My Iomega USB CD-RW driver uses the El Torito Boot Disk protocol.

2. When I try to force a boot off the USB CD image, I've F12ed all the various startup device options.  NOne work: they all pop right into Windows.  The one that at least pops me into DOS for awhile is the  "IBA 4.1.07 Slot 6240 boot device". That one then gives me an error message that says "PXE-E61 Media Test Error:  Check the cable."

SIX HOURS THIS WEEK-END.  SIX HOURS ANOTHER WEEK END.  I NEED LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 3:23am

magicwhale

Do other bootable CD's boot correctly using your setup?

Is your system capable of booting from the USB CD optical drive?

Does your BIOS offer native support for booting from the USB optical drive?

Others have reported success using a USB floppy drive with a Ghost floppy boot disk.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 11:09am

magicwhale wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:11am:
At this point, I'm only willing to expend more energy with Norton 2003 if someone can give me a QUICK solution.

Have you tried Ghost 9 or Ghost 10?  Both come with their own emergency recovery boot  CD, although both versions allow you to also restore files/folders from XP.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?fsop=1&fsoo=1&keyword=on&from=R34&strKw...

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print