Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
WinXP Norton Boot Disk Freezes (Read 17667 times)
jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

WinXP Norton Boot Disk Freezes
Jan 3rd, 2006 at 7:32am

I have previously had no trouble using Norton Ghost Boot Disk to make an image of my hard disk onto an external USB 2 Hard Disk Drive.
Suddenly,now when I insert the Floppy disk, it starts but then it comes up with :
ID2=HDS722580VLAT20  and then froze!
I can only re-start the PC.
I tried to make another boot floppy from the Wizard, but this disk had the same result.
I have a ghost image on my external HD, and can read it [in Windows Explorer]  but I cannot replace it, nor can I restore it?
Can anyone help please.
Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: WinXP Norton Boot Disk Freezes
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 8:45pm

jnabney

Sounds like a floppy disk drive problem.  Can you read other floppy disks in the drive using Window Explorer?

Could try un-plugging and plugging back in the ribbon cable to the floppy drive.

Check the BIOS and see if it is detecting the floppy drive okay.

Try a replacement floppy drive.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 4:28am

Thanks but I've not had any problem with the floppy drive so far?
It seems to read everything O.K.?
I can read files on my floppy disks [ie open the read files in Word] and the drive seems to respond normally in other cases.
I cannot seem to find any reference to ID2=HDS722580VLAT20 and I wonder if that isn't the root problem? Can you let me know the significance of ID2=HDS722580VLAT20  please?
Thanks for your quick response.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 10:44am

jnabney

Do a *Google* search on just the data after the *=* sign:

HDS722580VLAT20

Appears to be a Hitachi Deskstar HDD model # with many references to an 80 GB HDD.

*ID2=* could mean a *second HDD found*, slave HDD, a HDD on second IDE controller....don't know for sure why your system would be reporting that information booting from a floppy drive.

At what point does that problem occur--before or after the floppy disk is accessed during boot?  If the floppy is being read before the freeze up--could try pressing F8 just before the system tries to read the floppy drive--you can select *step-by-step* confirmation of the boot sequence from the floppy to see when the problem occurs.

What's your HDD set up?

Are you having any other system problems?

Could try having the BIOS re-detect your HDD's.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 4:16pm

I think you've gottit!  I am so grateful.  I was beginning to despair!
I'm not very computer literate, but I can go into the Device Manager, Disk Drives, and there I find Maxtor 6L200PO and Maxtor 6Y120 PO... [The 120GB is Drive C:\]
I did have a Hitachi 80 GB Hard Drive, but it went pear shaped and I replaced it with the 200 GB Maxtor.  Obviously the Norton Ghost Program that makes the Floppy Boot disk thinks the old drive is still there and hasn't made allowances for the new drive.
O.K.  That is obviously the solution... to get the program/computer to clock the new drive.  It has been operating without problems so I never that was where the fault lay.
Please bear with me now.... I would be most grateful if you could advise me as to how I could fix this problem.  Please make allowances for my ignorance.
I do believe the BIOS knows about the new drive?  Should I uninstall the Norton and then re-install it?  Any help is gratefully received!
Many many thanks.

IP Logged

jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 4:31pm

I have checked the BIOS and the correct drive is listed [ie the new one]
Should I uninstall Ghost and re-install it and then make a new boot disk, and/or should I remove the driver for the old HD?  [If so, how do I do this please?]
Thanks again!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 5:34pm

jnabney

I would try to keep it simple, until that does not prove acceptable.

You never mentioned at what point you get that *message*--where in the process of booting do you get that error?

Try making a new boot floppy and see if that's all you need to do.

IP Logged

jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 7:08pm

The Boot Disk starts off as usual, checking the memory etc.  Then after going through a long list of items ...the last message that comes up on the screen is as follows:

Verifying DMI Pool Data
Starting PC DOS
Iomega ASPI USB-EHCI 1.0 V.13.09 May 2003
copyright (c) 2003 Iomega Corp
All rights reserved

ID2= HDS722580VLAT20 _

It is at this point that the machine freezes.
So, I thought it was looking for the hard disk which is no longer there.
I have made another boot disk using the Norton Ghost program that is now on my machine, but I acheived the same result with this new boot disk... ie it froze at exactly the same place.
I can only assume that Norton is still registering the disk that no longer exists.  Even though the BIOS is now registering the new hard disk.
Should I delete and then re-install Norton Ghost and make another new boot disk? or should I insure that I have removed the driver for the now deleted hard drive?  [if so, please instruct me as to how to achieve this?]  Many thanks for your continuing help!

IP Logged

jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 8:17pm

More information... I just realized, my external hard drive is the Hitachi 80GB in question!
1. I turned off the external drive and the procedure froze after:

PCI Device Listing
Bus No / Device Number etc…
Lists ports.  etc.

Verifying DMI Pool Data
Starting PC DOS
All rights reserved

So, I tried your suggestion of hitting F8 while booting up.  It got as far as a message saying Confirm each config.sys command?  [y-n-esc].  I pressed Y
It then came up with

All rights reserved

and froze again!
I fear the program itself is now compromised?
What do you think?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 10:01pm

jnabney wrote on Jan 4th, 2006 at 8:17pm:
"... and froze again!..."

If
Norton Ghost 2003
is
in the loop here, I would be looking for USB host controller/device controller anomalies, i.e., when using the USB 2.0 ports that emanate from the systemboard of my Dell Dimension 8300, there was absolutely nothing I could do to enable the cranky Bytecc ME-320U2 external enclosure kit to conduct Norton Ghost 2003 operations at USB 2.0 speeds while using the Norton/Iomega drivers extracted from Guest.exe (see first image below) regardless of file system format - FAT32 or NTFS - employed on the external drive.

In fact, when sticking strictly to the NTFS format, even NightOwl's Panasonic Universal UBS Driver routine was rendered useless with all three versions of Usbaspi.sys (see second image below).   The ALi M5621 High-Speed USB 2.0 IDE Bridge Chipset/Device Controller utilized by Bytecc in the ME-320U2 is as about as far from being friendly with Norton Ghost 2003 as any such device I have encountered - and my personal stable is now up to six external enclosure kits and one "purpose-built" external HDD.  

EP
Cry

IP Logged

jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 1:04pm

Thenk you El_Pescador for your contribution... Your first image looked sadly familiar... I have used the Norton Boot disk with WXP in the past quite successfully.  That is why I was so stunned when suddengly it didn't work?  [It froze eactly where you indicated].
I tried turning off the external drive and it froze after the Iomega Drive.  I used to get the message about not finding a mouse driver and then it just continued on and started the Ghost program.
[I now have a USB mouse, so I contiued to use the program with just the keyboard]. 
In other words, previously, it has always recognized my external hard drive [USB].  I have two Ghost images on this disk as a result of previous successful attempts, but now I cannot access them because suddenly my Ghost Boot Disk Freezes [just before it tells me it cannot find a driver for my mouse] ?  It used to give me a message saying Drive letters for Iomega drives not found, Mouse not found..and then boot into the Ghost Program... now - nothing.
Please advise as to what I might do now to rectify the situation?  I'm very sorry but I have a great deal of difficulty understanding your technical explanations of why this is happening? 
Many thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 3:02pm

jnabney

It's a little unclear--it sounds like you had a setup with a USB HDD that was working--and now you have changed to a USB Enclousre Kit with your former internal HDD installed there.

Do you have both USB HDD's hooked up?  Did you change which USB port the HDD's are hooked up to?  Can you revert back to the setup that was working before?

IP Logged

jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 5:25pm

I'm sorry to be so confusing/confused...
Originally I had two hard disks in the machine.
Then I added an additional external hard disk which was connected via a USB  connection.
I used a Floppy disk I had made via the Norton Ghost 2003 program to make Ghost images of my C drive and saved them onto my external hard disk.  I never had any problem with that.
Suddenly:
My floppy disk froze at the point I told you about originally... that is after I had used it successfully for some time.
It would go through the PCI listing etc.
Verifying DMI Pool Data etc.
Load the Iomega ASPI etc.
and then
get to ID2= etc and freeze.
So, I wrote to you.
You very kindly replied to my cry for help...
We have now acertained that it isn't a faulty Floppy Drive
But....
In the meantime, I have changed the USB port for the external hard disk and then moved it back again to the original USB port.
I have uninstalled and re-installed Ghost
I have made another recovery boot disk from the Norton program as detailed in the interactive tutorial...
and the result is:
Now, it boots up, gets past the point where it loads the Iomage drive and
freezes.
It doesn't even get past the external hard disk anymore.
I have to say, I have an old Windows 98 boot disk which does boot the machine into DOS and then I can insert a Ghost floppy disk which, as far as I can see, will make a ghost image onto my internal second hard drive, but, in Windows 98, there is no support for my external USB hard drive.
I cannot seem to boot into DOS with support for my external USB hard drive.  If I could do this, I think that might solve all my problems.
Does this make any sense?  I am completely confused I'm afraid.
I hope I'm not being too obtuse about this, but I do find it rather disconcerting.
Many thanks for all your help.  I really appreciate it!

IP Logged

jnabney
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 9:07am

In reply to your last post..
I have three HDD,
C:\ the primary boot drive with Norton Ghost on it,[120gb]
F:\ backup, my second HDD in the machine [200gb]
G:\ the external HDD in an enclosure. [80gb]
The two in the machine are hooked up.
I turned the third external HDD on before booting up with the Norton Ghost floppy disk.
I was able to use the Norton Ghost Bootup Disk to save my Ghost Images onto the external HDD [G]

I was getting the kind of messages mentioned by El_Pescador..ie no mouse detected etc.

Suddenly, my Norton Ghost Bootup disk froze after it loaded the Iomega Drivers and the ID2.... I have not changed my setup at all...it just stopped working?
I don't know why?
Plase help.  Many thanks.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 6:02pm

Hmm - for what little it is worth, check out post below:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11021...

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print