Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
error messages when recovering (Read 12642 times)
Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

error messages when recovering
Jan 7th, 2006 at 7:21am

I was having problems with windows so I decided to just format the C drive and recover that partition with ghost 10. I first tried the recover files option and selected everything in the C partition. It got to about 50% and then gave an error about runtime causing a memory problem. The restore stopped so I tried doing it through the recover entire computer option. I had it do just the C partiton and again it got to 50% and gave a memory error, BC0008 something and stopped. I'm doing this with the rescue cd. I rebooted, did the entire computer option, and chose to restore the entire hard drive instead of just the C drive. Everything worked perfectly! Could there be something that doesn't let you restore just a partition from the rescue disk?  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: error messages when recovering
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 12:30pm

Larry, that is a disturbing problem, but glad you finally got it going.

Do you (or did you prioviously have) Ghost 9?  I was told by Symantec that the Ghost 9 Recovery CD would work with images created by Ghost 10.  I'm assuming they didn't change the internal format of the image-files.  So, you could try that and see if you get further.

Also, have you contacted Ghost 10 LiveChat?
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/products/ghost/nghost_10/contac...

If you do, please let everyone here know what they say and if that is a known problem.

I am getting more and more concerned about Ghost version 10...  Wonder when (if) Ghost 10.1 will be out?   Sad

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 3:12pm

Quote:
I am getting more and more concerned about Ghost version 10.

I've been using Ghost 10 for the last three days. It didn't do an incremental backup at 6pm yesterday. I don't know why. The computer was on and there was no entry in the Event Log. Anyone else seen this?

I mentioned in another thread that I can't write images to DVD's. Also, there is a problem with some computers not seeing USB external HD's from the Recovery Environment.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 3:35pm

Larrycleve wrote on Jan 7th, 2006 at 7:21am:
I was having problems with windows so I decided to just format the C drive and recover that partition with ghost 10. I first tried the recover files option and selected everything in the C partition. It got to about 50% and then gave an error about runtime causing a memory problem. The restore stopped so I tried doing it through the recover entire computer option. I had it do just the C partiton and again it got to 50% and gave a memory error, BC0008 something and stopped. I'm doing this with the rescue cd. I rebooted, did the entire computer option, and chose to restore the entire hard drive instead of just the C drive. Everything worked perfectly! Could there be something that doesn't let you restore just a partition from the rescue disk?  Lips Sealed

Larry, re-reading your post, I don't think it is valid to select all of your c: folders and have the Ghost Recovery CD restore c: that way.

However, I am surprised that you would get an memory error message using the Ghost 10 Recovery CD.  Sounds like a bug in the Ghost 10 Recovery CD WinPE build.  Maybe it ran out of virtual memory in the WinPE environment with individual folders restore. 

I hope you get some answer from Symantec.

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 8:27pm

Here's a copy of the chat I had with tech support. The answer is rather technical and I don't understand it. Maybe someone here can translate it down to simpler terms. The website they mentioned seems to be giving info on how to restore from earlier versions of ghost rather than ghost 10.

Please note that this issue can be caused if you try to access the BoundText property of a Data Combo control in Visual Basic code after you scroll down the list of elements in its list portion until the currently selected element is no longer visible in the list, this error can happen. As you did the restore of Entire Drive the list is included and you were able to boot into Window successfully.

When you try to restore a Partition to another Partition if the contents that are required to execute the Windows when you restart the computer are not being restored then you will get the error message.

To know how to restore a Drive, I request that you please refer the following weblink:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004072822094462

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:08am

Has anyone had a chance to read this and comment? Thanks.  ???

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:12am

Larry, sounds like it's been translated from Hindi.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 2:45pm

Larrycleve wrote on Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:08am:
Has anyone had a chance to read this and comment? Thanks.

Quote:
Please note that this issue can be caused if you try to access the BoundText property of a Data Combo control in Visual Basic code after you scroll down the list of elements in its list portion until the currently selected element is no longer visible in the list, this error can happen. As you did the restore of Entire Drive the list is included and you were able to boot into Window successfully.

When you try to restore a Partition to another Partition if the contents that are required to execute the Windows when you restart the computer are not being restored then you will get the error message.

Horrible description.  But back to your problem:  When you attempted to recovery/restore the c: partition, it sounds like you selected "Recover My Files" when you SHOULD have said "Recover My Computer" (which you eventually did).

I think the Visual Basic program had too many files/folders to recover; the list was too long; it ran out of memory or some other virtual resource.  When you select "Recover My Computer" Ghost 10 is just overwriting the partition in total with the data from the backup.

Like Brian said, "Lost in Translation" . . . (Didn't I see a movie called that?  Cheesy )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print