Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problem making cd with Ghost 2003 (Read 2855 times)
jimdays

problem making cd with Ghost 2003
Jan 7th, 2006 at 10:12am

I am a newbie that has only been successful to do email and surf the web, but I wanted to try to create a set of backup cds of my c drive using ghost 2003. Unfortunately, I failed. Using the windows interface, I selected the c drive (to be backed up) and then selected the cd burner as the destination. The pc went into the dos mode and started working. However, just before the first cd was full, I got an error message (about not being able to close the cd). So I got another blank cd and started over. This time I made it to the end of the second cd before I got the error message. I tried this again with different kinds of media, all with the same result. I put the bad disks in the computer and noticed that they were very full (700 to 701MB). I looked for some setting that I might be able to limit the data to about 650MB, put I couldn't find any setting. I think I am having problems because Ghost is trying to put too much data ( to the cd limit) on each cd. Does anybody have any suggestions?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: problem making cd with Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 10:31am

jimdays

If your optical writer is really *compatible* with Ghost--Ghost should automatically *know* how much data to place on the disc and adjust the image file sizes accordingly--so the problems you are having may be an indication of not *totally* compatible.

But, here's the way you limit the image file size--during the setup for doing a backup using the Windows interface, you get this *Advanced Settings* page:

The *-split=650* switch will force the image size to be no larger than that size.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

jimdays

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 11:04am

Thank you for the reply about how to limit the size of the data on the cd by specifying the parameter in  the windows interface. I do have another question. I read on this board that Ghost will ask you if you want to make the backup image cd to be bootable. I have to say that I burned several image cds and Ghost never asked me this question. Actually, I thought the Ghost image cds were automatically made to be bootable. So I am confused about this. I am also a little confused about the word "bootable". I know that if windows is broken and cannot start, it is necessary to use Ghost in the dos mode to instruct the computer to copy the cd image to the c hard drive.    So, I guess when I insert my first image cd, the computer will automatically go into dos and await instructions.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 2:36pm

jimdays

Quote:
I read on this board that Ghost will ask you if you want to make the backup image cd to be bootable. I have to say that I burned several image cds and Ghost never asked me this question. Actually, I thought the Ghost image cds were automatically made to be bootable.

It has been a while since I last did a bootable CD/DVD from the Windows interface--so I ran one just now to remind me.

Ghost's Windows interface does not *ask if you want to make optical media bootable*--it just automatically does this.

Quoting from the User Manual:

Quote:
(from the Windows interface)When you create an image on CD/DVD, you can make the CD/DVD bootable.  
The Backup Wizard does this automatically
, but when you create an image from Ghost.exe (the DOS Ghost Interface), then you need an appropriate boot disk (floppy disk) created with the Ghost BootWizard to make the CD/DVD bootable.

Info above in (  ) added by NightOwl for clarity

Note--for unknown reasons--when Ghost makes a bootable optical disc from the Windows interface--the bootable media will not load a mouse for you--you have to use the *up/down* arrow keys on the keyboard + the *tab* key to navigate within Ghost.

It's the DOS interface where it asks--and you have to supply a boot floppy disk in a floppy drive, unless you have booted from a boot CD already--then it still asks for a boot floppy disk--but, you just say *okay* that you have put in a boot floppy disk, even though you really haven't--but Ghost simply reads the *virtual floppy disk files* that was mounted by the bootable optical media and places that on the new optical media.

Quote:
So, I guess when I insert my first image cd, the computer will automatically go into dos and await instructions.

That is correct.  What I would recommend, if you create a backup image to CD or DVD--use that first disc to boot to the DOS Ghost interface, and perform an *Integrity Check* on the image saved to the optical media--now you can be reasonably sure the backup will function properly if needed for a restore operation!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print