Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9/10 - Restoring an image from networked PC (Read 36299 times)
John.
Übermensch

Ghost 9/10 - Restoring an image from networked PC
Jan 8th, 2006 at 6:52pm

A related thread Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems points out some current problems with the Symantec Ghost 10 Recovery CD not being able to always recognize or see an external USB hard drive when booting from the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment CD.

Here are some tips and guidelines from a test I just completed:

Environment:

* Desktop PC with external USB drive attached containing Ghost 10 backup images.  
* Laptop PC in same network (router).  
* Attempting to restore a folder (could be entire partition) onto the laptop, from the USB drive attached to the desktop PC using the Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD.

This workaround assumes that the external USB drive has been connected to a different PC on the network, so that recovery can be accomplished from the laptop using network shares.

(Note:  this same technique should also apply for Ghost backup images stored on any folder on the remote desktop or server.)

Results:

Preliminaries:

1. Change the desktop workgroup name from Mshome or whatever it is to Workgroup.  (I discovered that the Ghost 10 CD enviornment appears to have "workgroup" as the hard coded workgroup name, and without changing the desktop PC to match, I wasn't able to browse.)
2. Reboot desktop
3. Disable Firewall on desktop.

On Desktop:

1. Enable shared folder where Ghost image(s) are.  e.g. ghostbu

On Laptop:

1. Boot from Symantec Ghost 10 Recovery CD.
2. Select "Network" icon on left
3. Select "Start Networking Services"
4. Select "Map a Nework Drive" from menu
  In dropdown Window, choose
     drive    m: (or use default Y: drive letter)
     folder   \\desktopname\ghostbu (for example)
   (note, I tried but was unable to use the browse function
    to see the shared folders, so I had to manually enter
    the names.)
5. Select "Recover" icon on left
  Select Recover My Files or Recover My Computer.
  The Recovery Point Browser window should open.  
  Select:  Open another location
    My Computer
    m:   (the drive I chose from above should appear)

In my test a Login window popped up on my laptop, and I used the User and password from the desktop pc to gain access.

At this point you should be able to open your Ghost backup image via the network and restore it to your laptop PC.

Note, there are some other Ghost 10 network utilities provided which I used to verify the network information:
Run IP Config Utility
Ping a Remote Computer

Any questions or suggestions for improvements/changes, please speak up.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 - How to Restore backup via networked
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 7:49pm

John, this will be a good thread.

I’ve just started to look at Ghost 10 networking too. So far I’ve only tried it from Windows. I imaged a partition on computer 1 to computer 2. From the Ghost 10 “Recover My Computer” choice, there was my Recovery point, ready for a Restore. All OK.

On computer 2, I moved the image to another folder.

Back to computer 1. On clicking “Recover My Computer” there was the Recovery point again. But on trying to restore there was an error because the file couldn’t be found. As expected. So from the “Recover My Computer” window I clicked “Open”, navigated to the folder now containing the moved image and it didn’t show in the window. The window was blank. I then clicked Tasks, Advanced Recovery, navigated to the folder and there was the image ready to be restored.

I mention this because unless you have created the image in computer 2 from Ghost 10 (computer 1), it will not be found by “Recover My Computer” unless you do Tasks, Advanced Recovery. This certainly applies to me because I copy images to computer 2 outside Ghost (Windows Explorer) and initially I had trouble finding them until I discovered Tasks, Advanced Recovery.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:26pm

Ghost4me.John

Well done!!!

Quote:
Preliminaries:
1. Change the desktop workgroup name from Mshome or whatever it is to Workgroup.  (I discovered that the Ghost 10 CD enviornment appears to have "workgroup" as the hard coded workgroup name, and without changing the desktop PC to match, I wasn't able to browse.)

This is *amazing* information!--is this in the Ghost 10 documentation anywhere--now that you know what to look for?

Brian

Quote:
Back to computer 1. On clicking “Recover My Computer” there was the Recovery point again. But on trying to restore there was an error because the file couldn’t be found. As expected. So from the “Recover My Computer” window I clicked “Open”, navigated to the folder now containing the moved image and it didn’t show in the window. The window was blank. I then clicked Tasks, Advanced Recovery, navigated to the folder and there was the image ready to be restored. 

I mention this because unless you have created the image in computer 2 from Ghost 10 (computer 1), it will not be found by “Recover My Computer” unless you do Tasks, Advanced Recovery

Same comment--*amazing* information--again is this documented for using the *Advanced Recovery* tools, now that you know what to look for?

Both of you--well done!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:33pm

NightOwl, I can't find the "Tasks, Advanced Recovery" technique in the UserGuide or Help file. Anyone, let me know if it's there.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 9:56pm

The Ghost 10 process of restoring from an image on a networked computer is similar to the Ghost 9 process. The following applies if there is a router between the computers. I’ll test a crossover cable later.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11207...

Boot to the RE
Click and adjust Time Zone
Click Network (on the left)
Click Start My Networking Services (and wait for a while)
Click Map a Network Drive
DON’T click Browse
Accept Y: drive as the mapped drive letter
Type in the shared folder name as \\computername\share
Enter username and password. Click OK
Click Recover (on the left)
Click Recover My Computer
When Select Recovery Point window appears, click Open Another Location
In the Browse for Folder window, navigate to your share which will be Y: drive
A Select Recovery Point window will appear with your Recovery Point
Select it and click Recover My Computer
The Wizard starts
Put a dot in Custom and click OK
Next
Follow the Wizard
It's easy

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 10:04pm

Brian, GREAT information.  Thanks!

And, no I can't find the "Tasks, Advanced Recovery" mentioned in the Ghost 10 Manual either.

Quote:
1. Change the desktop workgroup name from Mshome or whatever it is to Workgroup.

When you are browsing My Network Places and then Microsoft Windows Network, you should see ALL workgroups, but when I saw it only showed "workgroup" for the workgroup name, that was my clue that it was only displaying resources in "workgroup".  I'm assuming that all the network functionality is just not there.  After changing the desktop PC, I was able see the desktop PC share-name resources.

You could manually enter the ip address of the other PC and share-name, but in a network with multiple pc's it is better to be able to browse by name.

I couldn't find any reference to any of this in the Ghost 10 Manual.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 9/10 - Restoring an image from networked
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 10:19pm

John,

By "DON’T click Browse" you avoid all reference to Workgroups. All my computers (I guess yours too) are on the same Workgroup but this isn't seen or changed during the process.

PS Our Workgroup is our family surname.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 10:48pm

Brian wrote on Jan 8th, 2006 at 10:19pm:
John,
By "DON’T click Browse" you avoid all reference to Workgroups. All my computers (I guess yours too) are on the same Workgroup but this isn't seen or changed during the process.
PS Our Workgroup is our family surname.

Brian, I just retested with your note.  I did NOT click browse.  Instead I went back to Recover My Files and then tried to let the Recovery Point Browser find (browse) my backup image on the other PC.  It did NOT and in fact again only showed "workgroup" and wouldn't show anything else.

Then I went back as you suggested and mapped \\mypc\myshare to Y: and then repeated the above, except Y: showed up under My Computer and I was able to access the Ghost image.

Bottom line is that the "browse" function does not work unless your other computer is in Workgroup.

Does that sound correct to you?  Or did I miss something.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 10:59pm

I noticed that in Ghost 9. The Browse button didn't work so I ignored it. I haven't tried changing my workgroup name to "Workgroup" but I really don't want to change it.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:16pm

Brian, not having the browse function isn't a show stopper, but it would be nice if it worked so the user wouldn't have to manually type in the other computer name and sharename.

Sounds like the basic code is the same in Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 Recovery Environment CD and they are both working the same way.  I added links in the FAQ under both Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 to this thread.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:54pm

John, I gave up on Browse in Ghost 9. Over to you.

Restoring with computers joined by a crossover cable and no router is interesting.

Boot to the RE
Click and adjust Time Zone
Click Network (on the left)
Click Start My Networking Services (and wait for a while)
Click Configure Network Connection Settings
Put a dot in Use the following IP address (this is for the computer you are currently using)
Input the IP address and subnet mask of the NIC (although the final IP field can be anything)
For Default Gateway use the above IP address with the final field changed.
For Preferred DNS server addresses use 123.255.255.255 and 255.255.255.255
Click OK
Click Map a Network Drive
DON’T click Browse
Accept Y: drive as the mapped drive letter
Type in the shared folder name as \\IP address of other computer NIC\share (you must have a static IP address. Computername doesn’t work)
Click Finish
Enter username and password. Click OK
Click Recover (on the left)
Click Recover My Computer
Continue as above

This was trial and error but it works.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:28am

It looks ok to me.  This thread should give anyone another chance and option in Ghost 9 or Ghost 10 to recover their backed up image. 

I backup my home computers to a USB drive that's shared, so it's good to know it can work in an emergency.  I remember with Drive Image you had to add the NIC drivers to the diskette and it was more complicated, so Ghost 9/10 Recovery Environment is definitely easier.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:54am

I remember the Drive Image floppies with NIC drivers too. A pain. Sorry NightOwl.

Your suggestion of using a USB external HD as a network share is one of the smartest workarounds I've heard for a long time.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 10:35am

Brian

Quote:
I remember the Drive Image floppies with NIC drivers too. A pain. Sorry NightOwl.

No offense taken  Wink !

I realize that the days of *DOS Ghost* are probably numbered--and continuing to use boot floppys and/or bootable CD's or DVD's based on the boot floppy standard represents the *dinosaur* option--but, as I have in life, I too seem to do in cyber-life, I stick with what I have grown to know well as long as it continues to work adequately--even thought *I see the writing on the wall*--until I am forced to move *forward*--rocking back and forth--mumbling (or is it meditative chanting?) *Change is good, change is good, ....* into a new state of reality.

How's that for a statement of *heavy* mental lifting  Cheesy !

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 11:17am

I maintain a few old Ghost 9 image files in a \Ghost9 folder on an external hard disk drive, and the most recent images in a \Ghost10 folder.  In order for the Ghost 10 recovery environment to locate and “see” a Ghost 9 image file, the Tasks, Advanced Recovery" technique must be used.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print