Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to retrieve files from image.gho (Read 7923 times)
AcId_CrAsH

How to retrieve files from image.gho
Jan 16th, 2006 at 10:32am

Hello

I've made a Ghost Image backup and now i can't recover any files in it.

The ghost ran perfectly at creating the image, integrity check -> OK, but when i tried to restore the image it says it can't find the next volume. Thats strange because all the 3 files are there. image.gho, image001.ghs and image002.ghs.

When i try to use ghost explorer, same problem, i load the image.gho file and when it asks for the last file and i pointed to the image002.ghs it constantly asks for the file, until i press cancel. And the it stays at loading image until it gives an error.

I want to know if there's any way possible to retrieve whatever files allocated on image.gho part, and how to do it.

Thanks

IP Logged

Chandler

Re: How to retrieve files from image.gho
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 11:42am

What are the sizes of the 3 files as indicated by Windows explorer?

IP Logged

AcId_CrAsH

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 12:42pm

The file sizes are:
image.gho          ----> 2.097.152 KB
image001.ghs     ----> 2.097.150 KB
image002.ghs     ----> 236.658 KB

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 2:08pm

AcId_CrAsH

Have you overwritten your Ghost image files with new images in the same directory?

Have you done anything to the original image files--like have you defragmented the HDD those image files are on?  --or have you copied the files from one place to another?  --or ... ?

Maybe this could help:

How to handle a corrupted image file

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

AcId_CrAsH

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 6:47am

No, not that i remember, because i've made the ghost backup, then tested it, restore to other disk, but the next day when i tried to extract a mail file, the problem started to happen. i don't know if there is any chance that the file could be broken due a disk error.

But if there is no way to access the .ghs files, at least i need to access to the image.gho, and whats inside of that particular file, because i think that is where the mail file (.pst) is located

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 10:30am

AcId_CrAsH

Quote:
i've made the ghost backup, then tested it,
restore to other disk

You have restored the image to another HDD--successfully?

Quote:
when i tried to extract a mail file, the problem started to happen

Is the problem only occurring when you use *Ghost Explorer*?

More than one person has reported *flaky* results using *Ghost Explorer*--seems not to be a real *robust* program.  Some have resorted to restoring the image file to a spare HDD in order to gain access to individual files to recover. (That's why I have asked the first question above.)

Quote:
i don't know if there is any chance that the file could be broken due a disk error.

Will the image file set pass another *Integrity* test?

Quote:
but when i tried to
restore
the image it says it can't find the next volume

Do you mean *restore the image*--i.e. transfer the data from the image file to a HDD partition--or are you really saying *mount the image file in Ghost Explorer*?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

AcId_CrAsH

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 1:22pm

Quote:
You have restored the image to another HDD--successfully?

yes, but i need the disk where i had restored the image. and the next day when i tried to access it again no can do.

Quote:
Do you mean *restore the image*--i.e. transfer the data from the image file to a HDD partition--or are you really saying *mount the image file in Ghost Explorer*?

I mean restore to HDD thru ghost 8.0, it ask for the next file, if i quit meanwhile, the disk will appear "empty", without the partition. is it possible to do a partition fix, recover, whatever?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 2:06pm

AcId_CrAsH

Quote:
i don't know if there is any chance that the file could be broken due a disk error.

Will the image file set pass another *Integrity* test?

Quote:
I mean restore to HDD thru ghost 8.0, it ask for the next file

Have you tried pointing Ghost at the *image001.ghs* instead of the *image002.ghs* file?

IP Logged

TheSeven
N00b

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 11:22pm

AcId_CrAsH,

Maybe this is what NightOwl meant, but let me add it anyway:

I believe when Ghost asks you to load the last file (in your case image002.ghs) it needs to do this in order to find the list of all files...that can only be present in the last file, because the whole list is not known until that one is finished.

Normally you do this, Ghost apparently gets the list, then Ghost asks you not-very-clearly for the *next file in your image*.  Which for you is image001.ghs.  I am venturing a guess that you have image001.ghs and image002.ghs on different disks or in different folders.  You need to point it to image001.ghs and hit return.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print