Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I want to use Ghost 2001 with XPSP2 NTFS (Read 3272 times)
bcool
Dude

Never let 'em see you
sweat...

I want to use Ghost 2001 with XPSP2 NTFS
Jan 16th, 2006 at 11:08am

I'd like to continue to use Norton Ghost 2001 (6.5) on Windows XP SP2 H.E.  I would appreciate it if someone would confirm the basic steps that will allow me to use the older version:

(1.) Create a small FAT32 partition on my second hard drive reserved for staging Ghost image files.
(2.) Boot up from a WIN98 (or similar) boot disk and run the DOS Ghost 2001 executable from the FAT32 partition.
(3.) Image drive 1 (containing WINXPSP2 NTFS) and dump to the FAT32 partition.
(4.) Check the completed image for errors.
(5.) Exit Ghost and return to Windows.

I will then burn the image file(s) to a CD for safekeeping.

QUESTIONS THAT REMAIN:
(1.) If I ever wish to image the NTFS partition only on the SECOND hard drive, will I be able to use Ghost to write that image file to the FAT32 partition on the same hard drive?  Will Ghost acknowledge two partitions on the second hard drive (if one is NTFS) or do I need to also create a small FAT32 partition on the primary hard drive in case I wish to image the contents of the second drive?
(2.) Does Norton Ghost 2001 have any problems browsing a NTFS image in Windows via its explorer component?

I know many will be tempted to advise an upgrade.  I really am curious if the details above are feasible.  Thank you!  Smiley

IP Logged

Arnold

Re: I want to use Ghost 2001 with XPSP2 NTFS
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 11:26am

You can get a copy of Ghost 2003 very cheaply.

Why do you want to stick with 5 year old software?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 2:03pm

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

bcool
Dude

Never let 'em see you
sweat...

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 10:30pm

Smiley  Thank you NightOwl.  While your first link does refer to Norton Ghost 2002, there was plenty of info.  The second link basically confirms most of my steps as viable.  However it is still unclear if Norton Ghost 2001 can see two partitions on one hard drive if one of them is NTFS.  My guess would be 'yes' - anyway I'll find out soon enough.

I knew somebody couldn't resist advising an upgrade.  It's reasonable, I suppose.  But I use Norton Ghost 2001 because it's simple, reliable and does exactly what I want -no more, no less.  I don't want a bunch of Ghost stuff running in Windows.  Norton Ghost 2001 runs in DOS and only when I say so.  On the other hand, if I can no longer reliably image my hard drives because of having to jump through hoops to accomodate NTFS, then I may be persuaded to move on.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print