Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 10 - no boot to recovery environment (Read 16090 times)
nambola
Ex Member

Norton Ghost 10 - no boot to recovery environment
Jan 17th, 2006 at 4:59am

I've just purchaced Norton 10 for my desktop PC.  The installation went fine.  I have created a full backup of my boot SATA HDD (C) to a second ATA HDD (E).

When I try to boot the installation disk into the recovery environment, to check that I can see the backups.  The PC hangs after I have "pressed a key" to boot from CD, and after the Symantec load bar has changes to 100% white. The text "please wait" is displayed, but loading never proceeds beyond this point.

Symantec email help says this is the first time they have seen this problem...........

Does anyone have suggestions for things to try.  My old PC recently crashed, so I'm trying to do the sensible thing and backup regularly.

Many Thanks

Nambola

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Re: Norton Ghost 10 - no boot to recovery environm
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 11:41am

Nambola, note that booting into the recovery environment is slow (two minutes is not uncommon), so do be patient.

Try the CD on another PC.  If it works, then the issue is related to your hardware.  If it doesn’t, then you most likely have a defective CD and need to ask Symantec for replacement media.

IP Logged

nambola
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 4:47am

Yes, the bootup is slow.  I have tried the boot disk in another PC and the recovery environment DOES work, so it is specific to my PC.  This PC is 1 month old and has not been changed except for adding my old ATA IDE HDD (IDE MASTER), to store my backups.  No drivers were required and the drive has been performing normally. Undecided

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 3:16pm

Quote:
Yes, the bootup is slow.  I have tried the boot disk in another PC and the recovery environment DOES work, so it is specific to my PC.  This PC is 1 month old and has not been changed except for adding my old ATA IDE HDD (IDE MASTER), to store my backups.  No drivers were required and the drive has been performing normally.

Just as a test, you could shut down your pc, temporarily disconnect your old IDE hard drive cable and power connector.
Then boot from the Ghost 10 recovery CD and see if it completes normally.

I have seen some pc's with SATA as boot hard drive worked fine, but bios had trouble when another PATA/IDE drive was added.

Is your IDE drive set to master (with slave present) or as single (no slave present)?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 3:58pm

Quote:
I have seen some pc's with SATA as boot hard drive worked fine, but bios had trouble when another PATA/IDE drive was added.

Sounds like you added your old IDE drive to the IDE connection and it is shared with your IDE CD/DVD drive. As I remember, when I added an IDE drive, I had to change the CD drive from cable select to slave and set the IDE drive to master with slave present.

IP Logged

nambola
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 3:59am

Thanks John, I'll give it a try tonight
Wink

IP Logged

Peter Arialis

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:54am

I have the same problem.  When trying to boot from Ghost 10 CD, after the status bar completes, it hangs on the "Please wait".  I definitely waited more than 2 minutes.  I have one SATA H-D (with 2 NTFS partitions), and the DVD-ROM is on the primary IDE channel.  I have an nForce4 SLI motherboard.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 4:00am

Sorry guys, I don't have an answer. I've seen Reatogo/BartPE CD's that will load in one computer and not another. This uses a similar Preinstalled Environment.

Quote:
Symantec email help says this is the first time they have seen this problem...........

Well, that's twice Symantec hasn't seen this before.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 11:50am

Peter (and others with same problem),

I think Symantec Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD (technically the WinPE environment) that Symantec is using has some problems booting with certain motherboards and certain hardware configurations.  I believe that they are aware of these problems and have some test/trial version of Ghost 10 boot cd's that they are trying with some customers.  My suggestion would be to:

1. Open a problem with Symantec LiveChat
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/products/ghost/nghost_10/contac...

2. Describe the Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD problem you're having with it "hanging" part way through the boot hardware detection process.

3. Ask them for an updated version of the Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD.  To get it they should give you some ftp location and file name of an ISO cd image file to download (about 250 MB).  You then use Nero, etc to burn the ISO image to your CD burner.

4. Retry with the updated boot cd.

Please let everyone here know if this works!!

IP Logged

Peter Arialis

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:50pm

I'll try that.  Thanks, John.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print