Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boot msg: New Hardware found: 'computer browser' (Read 7276 times)
cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Boot msg: New Hardware found: 'computer browser'
Jan 25th, 2006 at 6:03pm

Every time my client boots her XP-Pro PC, she sees
"Hardware Wizard has detected new hardware ... computer browser".  She click Cancel, and everything works fine.  The internet works.  

My client and her husband each have PCs.  These PCs share an internet connection through a wireless router.  They DON'T share files or printers.

What we're dealing with here is no more than a nagging startup message.  Options for me include:
 - Letting it try to install this "new hardware"
 - Figuring out a way to get the Hardware Wizard to stop offering to install the "new hardware".
As I write this, I think: It's generally a good idea to learn what the HECK is going on.  (Lots of facts to learn in the computer universe.  No?)

So, any radified-insight / suggestions / expalnations, will be highly appreciated.  Rad-Rocks.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Weird msg: "New Hardware found - computer
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 6:21pm

I have a friend who has a USB printer that does this for them. Not sure why. They click cancel. Does your client have a USB printer?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 6:25pm

Cardinal23, it might be beneficial to run the System Information utility when the message first appears, making note of the hardware listed; and then again, after accepting the message and ‘installing’ the ‘new hardware’.  The difference in the two reports should show you what ‘hardware’ is being ‘installed.’

IP Logged

TheSeven
N00b

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 10:10pm

Maybe not relevant, but:

I get messages like this at every boot for devices which are on a certain USB hub.  I have read that some hubs do not have definite addresses for each port, so at reboot Windows sees the device as being on a port-other-than-that-on-which-it-was-installed, and for reasons not clear to me, interprets that as a new device.

Or something like that.

I could move the device to every USB port on the computer itself and would get the message only once per port.  But when the device is on any port on the hub, I am guaranteed the message at every boot.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 10:20pm

Gentlemen,
Another angle on this - not discounting the suggestions already made is this:
I am assuming that once this "hardware" has been installed, the message will find "someone else to bother".  So, how can I easily fortify myself (other than ghosting) against something "bad" happening if I let it install the new hardware. Would you think that creating a Restore Point would protect me against whatever installing the new hardware does?
THANK YOU.
In other words, an easy way to deal with this whole thing might be to (1) do a restore point (2) let it do it's thing.  I'm guessing / hoping that it won't do much of anything.  (A voice is telling me: Caarrrdddinal...you're trying to take the easy way out.  You're gonna have to pay..."

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 12:52am

What is interesting here is that the system says the new hardware is a "computer browser".  Would the hub condition report the new hardware as being a "computer browser"?  Thanks.

I have changed the title (of this thread) to indicate the "new hardware found" is a "computer browser"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print