Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost10: Missing Recovery Point (Read 8233 times)
dyuhas
Dude

Pacifica, CA

Ghost10: Missing Recovery Point
Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:17am

I restored from the most recent recovery point (an incremental).  I subsequently needed to restore from the same recovery point, but it's now missing from Ghost's list!  (I clicked the "show all" button.)  I can see the file on the drive (ext USB) in Explorer!

Can someone please enlighten me on this behavior???

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost10: Missing Recovery Point
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:30am

Dave,

Could you try "Tasks, Advanced Recovery"

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11367...

See Reply #1

IP Logged

Dave Yuhas

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 1:30am

Brian wrote on Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:30am:
Dave,

Could you try "Tasks, Advanced Recovery"

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11367...

See Reply #1

I was using the Windows interface.  I have subsequently discovered that Ghost can find the latest recovery point when I boot to the recovery environment. 

Thanks for the info.

Dave

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 11:39am

Quote:
I was using the Windows interface.  I have subsequently discovered that Ghost can find the latest recovery point when I boot to the recovery environment.  
Thanks for the info.
Dave

Dave, you should still be able to see them using the Windows Interface.  What Brian was suggesting was that after starting Ghost 10:
Select Recovery
Select Recover My Files
Select File/Open and browse to the location
(You can also do this from same window using Tasks/Advanced Recovery wizard)

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Dave Yuhas

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 2:12pm

Quote:
Dave, you should still be able to see them using the Windows Interface.  What Brian was suggesting was that after starting Ghost 10:
Select Recovery
Select Recover My Files
Select File/Open and browse to the location
(You can also do this from same window using Tasks/Advanced Recovery wizard)

Thanks.  Yeah, that works.  But why?  All my recovery points are in one location.  Why the need to browse for them?

I'm not denigrating NG.  I'll continue to use it, but if this is the default behavior it's rather dumb.

Dave

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 3:42pm

Dave, my only guess or suspicion is that is has something to due with the fact that you did a restore.  You didn't mention but was that restore of your entire c: partition?  If so, then the entire Ghost catalog of restore points was restored also, which  was from an earlier time point.  So Ghost wouldn't have knowledge of anything after that time anymore.

At this point if you create another complete Restore Point with Ghost 10 it should be in the catalog.

Also, independent backup images I don't think are in the catalog, only base plus incrmentals.  That's why you can always browse for Ghost 10, Ghost 9, or Ghost 2003 image backups -- in case they came from another source, or even another computer.

IP Logged

Dave Yuhas

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 4:36pm

Quote:
Dave, my only guess or suspicion is that is has something to due with the fact that you did a restore.  You didn't mention but was that restore of your entire c: partition?  If so, then the entire Ghost catalog of restore points was restored also, which  was from an earlier time point.  So Ghost wouldn't have knowledge of anything after that time anymore.

OK.  That makes sense.  I did restore to C:, but it was from an incremental recovery point  (RP) that is stored on an external drive.  Shouldn't NG, after that type of restore, still know where the RPs are stored and display ALL of them? 

My apologies if I seem particularly dense.

Dave

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 4:46pm

Dave, you're not dense.  Smiley  Ghost sometimes requires intuition.

First I'm glad to hear that Ghost 10 worked for a complete restore for you.  When you restore from an incremental, the restore includes the complete (base) backup and then the changes that are in the incremental.

Also, the catalog is on your c: drive, the backups on your external drive.  After the backup (incremental or full) to your external is completed, the catalog on the c: is updated.  That's my impression.

After you do another backup to your external drive, let us know if/what Ghost shows for your Recovery Points.

IP Logged

Dave Yuhas

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 6:49pm

Quote:
First I'm glad to hear that Ghost 10 worked for a complete restore for you.  When you restore from an incremental, the restore includes the complete (base) backup and then the changes that are in the incremental.

I assumed the restoring from an incremental RP would only restore what was contained in the incremental RP.  What's NG's reasoning for restoring the base AND the incremental?

Quote:
After you do another backup to your external drive, let us know if/what Ghost shows for your Recovery Points.

Still doesn't show the incremental RP that I restored from.  Does show the latest, made since I did the last restore.

Dave

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 7:08pm

Quote:
I assumed the restoring from an incremental RP would only restore what was contained in the incremental RP.  What's NG's reasoning for restoring the base AND the incremental?

My understanding of base/incrementals is like this:  A base backup is a backup that is complete; it contains a full image of the partition.  Typically the backup image file is about 50% of the actual USED part of the source partition, depending upon compression options.

The reason for creating incrementals is to save space and save backup time.  If you have changed the partition only slightly, then an incremental image backup will only contain the changes since the last full base backup.  The base backup might be (for example) 20GB file, but the incremental only 1GB.

To restore to a specific time, you would have to restore the base first, then apply the incremental change.

Some people do full backups on Sunday, then incremental backups Monday - Saturday. etc

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 9:36pm

I like incremental backups. There are lots of tricks that can be tried. For example, say you have a baseline image and 20 incrementals. Then you can combine all 21 files into a single image file which will be roughly the same size as a baseline image that could have been created on day 21. The combined image will restore your computer to day 21. You can also change the compression level of an image if desired. I'm not suggesting this needs to be done. But it can be done.

For a restore, you just need to select the appropriate incremental image (ignore the baseline image) and it will happen.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 12:31am

Dave, one good tip I learned from Brian is to check the "verify" option for creating your Ghost image backups.  It only takes a little longer for Ghost to verify the image backup after creating it to external hard drive, but knowing it's integrity is ok is nice.

I used to just ignore verify, but no longer.  Thanks Brian!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 11:35am

Dave Yuhas

Quote:
Still doesn't show the incremental RP that I restored from.

If the *catalog* on the C:\ drive that originally had the RP listing was replaced by the *catalog* that existed before that RP that was used to restore--and that catalog on the backup did not have the newest RP listed (i.e. the RP that you restored from), then it's never going to show--because Ghost is reading the *old, restored* catalog--so you will have to locate that more recent RP using the *manual* technique recommended earlier in this thread.

New backups and RP's will be listed because they will be recorded in the *catalog*.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print