Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost10: Multiple Sets (Read 3533 times)
Dave Yuhas

Ghost10: Multiple Sets
Jan 29th, 2006 at 7:25pm

The last time I initiated a bu of C: I assumed NG would create yet another incremental.  It didn't; it created a second base bu. 

What criteria does NG10 use in the decision when to start a new bu set?

Just curious.

Dave

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost10: Multiple Sets
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 7:42pm

Quote:
The last time I initiated a bu of C: I assumed NG would create yet another incremental.  It didn't; it created a second base bu.  
What criteria does NG10 use in the decision when to start a new bu set?
Just curious.
Dave
Dave, this has been a point of much discussion and conjecture.  I welcome other's opinions.

However, it seems that whenever Ghost 10 reaches some "threshold" of changes in the sectors of the partition that have changed, it will institute a base backup instead of what may be expected by the user as an incremental.

Remember that these are sector images not file backups.  So an active drive (like the c partiton) could easily only get a few incrementals, if that, and then a full base is always taken.

A different partition (mostly data files) would most likely get more incrementals before the full backup occurs.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Dave Yuhas

Re: Ghost10: Multiple Sets
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:57pm

Quote:
Dave, this has been a point of much discussion and conjecture.  I welcome other's opinions.

Thanks for the explanation/speculation.  Wouldn't it be nice if Symantec included information on how the program actually works in the help file or user guide?

Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print