Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
How to Replace a Hard Drive using Ghost 10 (Read 94695 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: How to Replace a Hard Drive using Ghost 10
Reply #45 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 2:06pm

I found this:

WD Lifeguard

Maybe you told Lifeguard to only create a 130 gb partition.

Anyway, to start over (assuming there is nothing you want to keep on the drive)
My Computer
right click
manage
Disk Management
Maximize the window

You can select/highlight the SATA drive, then right click for options.  I would delete any partitions on the drive, then create one large NTFS partition that is 250gb (assuming that is your intent), and then have XP do quick format.

Caution:  be certain you are highlighting the correct one!  If you erase the wrong one, its tooooooo late!

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #46 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 2:07pm

See if it looks good then.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #47 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 2:15pm

I think that WD created a 130 gb partition, leaving 120 gb unused and unseen.  You'll be able to verify that in Disk Management under XP.

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #48 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 6:58pm

Okay end of drama Smiley

I put both the 160 and the 250 in a newer dell optiplex 630 and Bam! both drives work as should so its my HP d530.. The latest bios forthe hp will not install  and thats okay Its time for a new PC ANYWAY THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 7:47pm

mackey,

Let me know what you think of the Vantec enclosure. It works fine in USB mode but I had trouble in SATA mode.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11404...

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #50 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 11:40am

Brian wrote on Mar 3rd, 2006 at 7:47pm:
mackey,

Let me know what you think of the Vantec enclosure. It works fine in USB mode but I had trouble in SATA mode.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11404...

Argh!  what issues are you having?  I got it for SATA, eh, not that I really need the speed.. Anyway, hit me back so i don't fight with the same issues if you would Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #51 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:02pm

mackey wrote on Mar 3rd, 2006 at 6:58pm:
I put both the 160 and the 250 in a newer dell optiplex 630 and Bam! both drives work as should so its my HP d530.. The latest bios forthe hp will not install

Mackey,
I hate to see you give up, but I'm glad you narrowed it down.

Which HP D530 do you have and do you know the bios version you have (it momentarily should appear when you boot)?

I found 3 different ones listed at HP support:

HP Compaq d530 Convertible Minitower Desktop PC
HP Compaq d530 Small Form Factor Desktop PC
HP Compaq d530 Ultra-slim Desktop Desktop PC

Maybe you just had trouble with the bios update utility or selected the wrong bios update version.

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #52 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:04pm

HP Compaq d530 Convertible Minitower Desktop PC

I ahve this one

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #53 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:23pm

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/locate/63_5586.html#0

786B BIOS Family Processor Microcode Update version 1.09 A   (11 Nov 05)

Business Desktops BIOS Utilities version 3.00 A   (15 Jun 05)

I could be wrong, but looks to me like you would need the Bios update utility.  It lists the models supported.  Then download the bios update, and use the utility to install it.  

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #54 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:26pm

I tried it wont update Sad  It just says you cant run this file from windows and it wont run from Dos so.. argh LOL

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #55 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:50pm

I just ran a test download of the Utilities. It is supposed to be put on a diskette and then run from a DOS boot diskette.  
However from what I read, you do NOT need the utility.

If you download the
786B BIOS Family Processor Microcode Update
version 1.09 A   (11 Nov 05)

it will download it to a directory on your c: drive.  When you run the setup/program, it asks you to put a diskette in your a: drive.  I did that and then afterwards looked at the contents of the diskette.  It is a self booting DOS diskette containing the program and bios update both.  After completing the copy of the files to the diskette, you would shut down, and then boot from diskette and it looks like it automatically invokes the bios update program with the 109 update.

Before doing anything though, I would power off your pc, and then watch the startup/poweron and see what version of the bios you have now.  You might have to enter bios setup (F2 or F11 or some similar key), to verify you have 1.08 or older version.

Then be sure you are set to boot from diskette first, and insert the diskette.

After all that, see if your SATA drive works!

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #56 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:19am

Quote:
I just ran a test download of the Utilities. It is supposed to be put on a diskette and then run from a DOS boot diskette.  
However from what I read, you do NOT need the utility.

If you download the
786B BIOS Family Processor Microcode Update
version 1.09 A   (11 Nov 05)

it will download it to a directory on your c: drive.  When you run the setup/program, it asks you to put a diskette in your a: drive.  I did that and then afterwards looked at the contents of the diskette.  It is a self booting DOS diskette containing the program and bios update both.  After completing the copy of the files to the diskette, you would shut down, and then boot from diskette and it looks like it automatically invokes the bios update program with the 109 update.

Before doing anything though, I would power off your pc, and then watch the startup/poweron and see what version of the bios you have now.  You might have to enter bios setup (F2 or F11 or some similar key), to verify you have 1.08 or older version.

Then be sure you are set to boot from diskette first, and insert the diskette.

After all that, see if your SATA drive works!

when i run the program it comes up with an error saying this program is not a valid windows NT executible and shoul be closed Sad  I emailed HP about it, no reply --

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #57 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:32am

Mackey,

I looked at the folder that the setup created, and it is name SWSETUP.  A subfolder of that is a folder called SP31629, which contains the readme etc. files.  There is a bat file there called UCODE.BAT and that is the file you would double-click with Windows Explorer or run.

Did you verify the bios version you have now?  Besides the F2 etc, sometimes if you hit the Pause/Break during boot, it will pause so you can also read the bios level.

John

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #58 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:50am

Ugh.. i was running the exe file, I have the bios from aug 04 Im at work so cant give you the exact level number from here, Ill runn the UUBAT tonight though!   thank you

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #59 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:58am

Mackey, it's not your fault.  As I remember when I first ran the setup it did the unzip and then invoked the program to create the boot diskette.  But at this point from looking at the bat file closer and other files there, you can directly run the UCODE.BAT and that will create a diskette.  You then shut down and restart from the boot diskette to update your bios.

We all have our fingers crossed that this will make your pc properly recognize the large SATA drive size.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print