Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This disk was not created by Symantec Ghost (Read 16373 times)
Pedro

This disk was not created by Symantec Ghost
Feb 10th, 2006 at 5:25am

Hi all,
When I try and restore an image to disk I get:

Error Accessing CD/DVD Disk (1972)
This disk was not created by Symantec Ghost

Am I just being stupid and missing something really simple?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: This disk was not created by Symantec Ghost
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 8:45am

Pedro

Quote:
Am I just being stupid and missing something really simple?

*No*--probably not either--but there probably is a simple solution.

Symantec's Ghost, for unknown reasons and poor documentation regarding functionality, will not mount a Ghost image on optical media unless Ghost was used to actually burn the image to the media in the first place--unless you use the DOS drivers that mount the optical drive from *config.sys* (example--oakcdrom.sys), and assign drive letters from *autoexec.bat* (example--mscdex.exe).

You do not say, but I'm guessing you are using Ghost 2002 or 2003, you created the image to HDD initially, and later burned it to optical media with a third party burning program.

If Ghost had been used to burn the image to optical media directly, then Ghost would recognize and mount the image directly without needing the DOS drivers mentioned above.

If you're using the Ghost Boot Wizard, you need the *CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost*, which will be a two floppy boot disk set, which will have those DOS drivers included.

Or, if you're comfortable with DOS boot disks, you can create a custom boot disk with the drivers and Ghost.

One other possible explanation I can think of is you are using optical media on a system different from where the image was originally burned from directly by Ghost--and the optical drive you are now using is not compatible with the *built-in* ability of Ghost to access compatible optical drives.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pedro

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 5:55am

Ghost V8.  Image is on 4 CDs sent from head office (they use a network boot setup not CDs).

I don't have the knowledge to modify DOS boot disks (must get around to looking for a good learning site for that) so I cheated and copied all 4 disks onto the root of a second partition.  Used Ghost boot disk 1 followed by 2 (with the ghost.exe) then pointed it to the second partition mentioned above.  Approx 3 minutes later the image was restored.

All that was required then was removing the stuff we don't use on my site and adding the stuff we do.  I think it's possible (though not sure if it's using Ghost) to make an image of a newly rebuilt PC (that I've added all the latest driver/os/application updates to) and put it on a network then if a PC requires rebuilding for whatever reason I can network boot and put in machine name et viola, done.

Might wait until after lunch for that one though....

I think I may turn into a Ghost fanboi!

Thx for your help NightOwl  Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:35am

Pedro

Thanks for the feedback.

And good workaround--you're absolutely correct that by eliminating the optical media variable from the equation--Ghost is then more than happy to *see* the image files as usable Ghost files again!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

zib

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 4:58am

Hi guys. I've got a similar problem to Pedro so instead of creating a new thread, i thought i'd post my problem in here if that's alright?

I'm new to Norton Ghost and i created an image straight to a blank DVDRW disc using Norton Ghost 10.0. I then booted up my PC using Hiren's Boot CD and ran Norton Ghost 8.2. But when i go to restore the image from the DVDRW disc, it says "This disk was not created by Symantec Ghost". Then when i click on Cancel, another message comes up saying "Cannot open image file @CD-R1 [] (10010)".

Does anyone know why it doesn't recognise the image? Is it coz it was created in a new version of Ghost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm a newbie to this program.

Cheers  Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 8:10am

Zib, if you created the backup with Ghost 10, then you need to use Ghost 10 to restore any files/folders etc from that backup.  You can do all that from XP unless you can't boot from that PC. 

If you can't boot from your own PC, you boot from the Ghost 10 CD first.  Then you tell Ghost 10 to restore from your backup (which you stored on DVD).

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

zib

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 9:03pm

I've downloaded the trial version of Norton Ghost 10.0 so how do i make a bootable CD that will run Norton Ghost 10.0? Do i just copy all the files from the "C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost" directory and burn them to a CD? I have a feeling it ain't as easy as that.

I've searched your forum and site but i can't find anything about creating a bootdisk (CD) with Norton Ghost 10.0. I can't even see an option in Ghost (such as "make CD or image bootable") when i go to make a backup of my HDD.

Sorry if i sound stupid but i'm only new to the program so please forgive me. Wink

Cheers for your help Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 9:17pm

Zib, It sounds like your system is working ok.  You successfully created a backup with Ghost 10 trial version.  You can restore a file or folder from within Windows XP.  You don't need a stand-alone bootable cd to restore the files or a folder, or even restore the entire partition to an unused partition on your PC.

The emergency boot Ghost 10 CD is the same as the retail boxed Ghost 10 install CD. I'm guessing that Symantec doesn't provide the Emergency boot CD as part of the trial version.

If you decide to purchase Ghost 10 via download from Symantec, then you should get instructions from them on how to download an ISO image that you then use (with Nero etc.) to burn a CD with everything.

Unless you are not near a store, it's probably easier to purchase the retail software, because the ISO download image is big, proably 200 to 300 MB.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you need to accomplish, so please just ask or explain some more.

IP Logged

zib

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 3:21am

I know that i can restore the image from inside WinXP but i want to create a boot disk in case an emergency occurs where the Operating System (WinXP) won't boot at all. I had the problem the other day where i would get the famous "Blue screen of death" when my computer booted up. So i had no option other than to reinstall everything again. That's why i'm trying to create some sort of boot disk that will let me restore my computer to how it was before by using Norton Ghost 10.

But like you mentioned, mabye Symantec don't offer the Emergency Ghost Boot CD with their trial version. Is there any way i can create my own boot disk? Or do you recommend an older version of Ghost which is better to use? I've heard 2003 is pretty popular maybe i should try that one?

You certainly understand what i'm describing to you so it's all good lol. Thanks for your help man. Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 6:55am

Quote:
But like you mentioned, maybe Symantec don't offer the Emergency Ghost Boot CD with their trial version. Is there any way i can create my own boot disk? Or do you recommend an older version of Ghost which is better to use?

If you like Ghost 10 after testing the trial version, then purchase it and you will get the bootable cd.  Most software trial versions are similar in that the trial versions for example may analyze your system, but repair only a limited number of errors.  Or, in Ghost (or other image backup software) they will be full function for backup, include normal XP file/folder restore, but not emergency bootable cd restore.

Otherwise, why would anyone buy it?  Just get the trial version, take your image backup, make your Ghost bootable emergency backup cd, and put everything on the shelf, and use it if/when you have a blue screen of death.  

All at no cost.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print