Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery Environment Blue Screens... (Read 8232 times)
John.
Übermensch

Ghost 10 Recovery Environment Blue Screens...
Feb 10th, 2006 at 9:06am

Ghost 10 Recovery Environment Blue Screens with K8WE (S2895) Motherboard

I ran across this thread which documents some problems with certain motherboards and the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment boot cd.

http://hardware.mcse.ms/message275872.html

http://groups.google.com/group/symantec.support.winnt.nortonutilities.general/br...

I am including the information and link here just to point out:

1. After installing Ghost 10 in Windows XP (or as soon as possible), run the Driver Validation (In Windows XP) by selecting the option in the XP Ghost 10 startup screen, after inserting the cd.

2. The importance of testing the Ghost 10 (or any version) Recovery Environment boot cd BEFORE you actually need it in an emergency.

3. Contact Symantec using Live Chat to report any problem and request a download of their updated ISO Recovery Environment ISO boot cd.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery Environment Blue Screens...
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 1:28pm

Ghost4me, I was unaware of the availability of an updated Ghost 10 recovery environment ISO download.
  • What problems are fixed in this release of the recovery environment?
  • Is Symantec distributing the ISO file to anyone who asks – or, only to a few that are experiencing a specific set of problems?
  • Is the new recovery environment a ‘production’ release – or, is this a ‘beta’ version?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:41pm

Pleo,

From what I have read and determined (or speculated) myself, Symantec has several beta versions of the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment boot CD that they are "testing" with people with specific problems.  

A few weeks I got a response on from my Ghost 10 Recovery CD problem, which has been open since last October, which basically said "try this".  They sent me an ftp address, id, and password and instructions to download an ISO file, which I burned to CD.  Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem.  

When I looked at the other files in their download directory it looked like different versions of Ghost for different motherboards and/or different hard drive controllers (SATA, Promise, etc.).  When I tried to look again a few days later, the id and password no longer worked.  I even emailed them asked them specifically "What changed on this ISO?" and the answer I got was basically, "just try it".

So to answer your questions:

Quote:
What problems are fixed in this release of the recovery environment?
Don't know, but note from the two url/links above that the user put updated nVidia drivers in himself to fix his specific problem.

Quote:
Is Symantec distributing the ISO file to anyone who asks – or, only to a few that are experiencing a specific set of problems?
only a few who have a specific problem(s)

Quote:
Is the new recovery environment a ‘production’ release – or, is this a ‘beta’ version?
beta version(s)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:53pm

I forgot to mention this, but I believe that the Ghost program version on the 'beta' ISO cd image was/is the same as the Ghost 10 image from my original retail Ghost 10 cd.  I compared size and dates.

That tells me that the Ghost program itself is stable, but as we've seen here, the Windows XP Pre-Environment that Symantec seems to be using is not and/or doesn't have all the updates and drivers for all the usb and motherboard configurations that are out there now.  Frankly, I haven't seen any comments here or anywhere else where someone is experiencing actual Ghost 10 software logic problems.  That's good!  (knock on wood)

Which brings up the point again:  Imperative to test the Recovery Environment boot cd as soon as you install the product, not after you've had a need for it.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 4:45pm

Ghost4me, thanks for your note.  I concur that most of the ‘issues’ that have been discussed with Ghost (2003/9/10) seem to be hardware related rather than focused on the operation of the utility per se.

I am encouraged that Symantec is distributing new versions of the Ghost 10 recovery environment on a limited basis.  At least that demonstrates a willingness to do so, if and when the need arises.

Although it is human nature to expect that all software will work on all PC hardware configurations, realistically that’s just not possible given the astronomical number of combinations in existence.  As a result, you’re right – it is imperative to test the recovery environment.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print