Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10.0 Configuration (Read 13285 times)
ralph

Ghost 10.0 Configuration
Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:35pm

Just installed Ghost 10.0 and was looking for some input regarding how I should configure my backups.  I'm backing up to an external hard drive and wanted to use the "recovery point set" option so as to save disk space.  My understanding is that this option makes an initial image of my entire disk and then just images anything that has changed in subsequent backups.  I also would like to let Ghost "automatically optimize storage" which means that it throws away older recovery points as the disk begins to fill.  What I'm concerned about is that if I have a hard disk crash, and Ghost has thrown away older backups (the first one of which has my whole disk image on it) I'll be left with a resotre point that just has whatever incremental changes were made on the latest backup.  Is this how it would work?  Any input is appreciated.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10.0 Configuration
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:46pm

ralph,

Quote:
To configure automatic recovery point storage 1 In the Recovery panel, click Optimize Recovery Point Storage. 2 Click Options in the lower right corner. 3 Click Monitor disk space usage for recovery point storage, and then drag the slider to indicate the amount of disk space to be used for recovery point storage. If you indicate that all disk space should be used, Norton Ghost notifies you when the disk reaches 90% of its total capacity. 4 Do one of the following: 2 If you want Norton Ghost to notify you when the storage size you specified is exceeded, click Warn me when recovery point storage exceeds threshold. 2 If you want Norton Ghost to manage the storage space for you without prompting you, select Automatically optimize storage. When you select this option, Norton Ghost automatically deletes old recovery points to prevent them from exceeding the storage size you specified. 5 Click OK.

I wouldn't be inclined to use this automatic function at your stage. You will get a better understanding of how it works if you delete the backup sets manually when you decide there are too many.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:54pm

ralph, why don't you try this initially. You can modify it later to your requirements.

Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
In the Easy Setup put a dot in Define a new custom backup, OK
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
select the drive to backup, Next
choose Recovery point set (recommended), Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Choose your Limit...(I leave unticked), ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Scheduled, click Define Custom Schedule
Scheduling tab,Top part is for the days and the time that recovery points (Base and Incremental) will be created. I tick all days.
Untick "Create more than one recovery point per day" if you only need one , otherwise choose the number of incremental recovery points
Choose frequency of Base recovery points at the bottom, eg weekly, monthly, etc    I choose weekly
Click "Event trigger" tab, Choose any of the four or leave unticked, (I leave unticked) OK, Next
Tick "Create recovery point now" if you want it done before the scheduled time, Finish

IP Logged

Ralph

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 3:16pm

Brian--

Thanks for your response.  I'll defieitely follow your instructions, however, did have a question.  Are the "base recovery" files and the incremental recovery files differentiated in some way on my backup disk?  If I'm going to be manually deleting these files I sure don't want to trash the base recovery file.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 3:35pm

A base recovery point  is *.v2i

An incremental recovery point is *.iv2i

They are all numbered and when you look in the folder it will make sense. You should delete the whole set but you can keep the base recovery point if you like. I don't. The recommended way to do this is via Ghost 10. There is a choice "somewhere" to delete the whole set. You can do it manually from My Computer but then Ghost will think the set is still present.

IP Logged

Ralph

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 4:20pm

Thanks for your help Brian!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 8:58pm

Brian wrote on Feb 10th, 2006 at 3:35pm:
There is a choice "somewhere" to delete the whole set. You can do it manually from My Computer but then Ghost will think the set is still present.

To change Recovery Point storage use in Ghost 10:
Select Status
Check Backup and Recovery Status
Highlight list item that shows drive & Recovery Point Storage
Tasks/Optimize Storage
  (several options then to choose from)

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print