Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wrong destination drive (Read 11046 times)
Killerbee

Wrong destination drive
Feb 11th, 2006 at 1:27pm

I'm new to image ghosting. So in the beginning of this week I decided to first read those guides Rad made available on the internet. These guides, which I must admit, are very usefull for newbies like me who haven't got any experience with ghosting. So first of all I'd like to thank you for the effort you put in there.

Well, this is my problem and I'm using Ghost 2003. I came to the point where I can choose my destination partition/folder for my new image. When I want to choose my G: drive that is labeled as GH_BACKUP then it isn't there in the dropdown box.
Below is an image of the screen I ment to clearify what I mean with the dropdown box (this screeny is just an illustration and is provided by Rad in his guide).

In my case Ghost is only mentioning C, D and E. While I have 2 physical drives. One that has two partitions which are called C: and D:. The other drive has 3 partition called E, F, and G. See image below.

I didn't dare to start making an image with ghost because my G drive with label GH_BACKUP was in the dropdown box suddenly called E:\[GH_BACKUP]. So I was affraid of overwriting data that was actually at E. Should I change something so it would become G:\[GH_BACKUP] or don't I have to be affraid of screwing things up? Thanks in advance for answering my question!!!!

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Wrong destination drive
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 5:51pm

I'm not a Ghost guru, so take this with a grain of salt. 

I know that windows often sees drives differently than other systems.  For example, you can re-label any non-system drive in Windows to any letter you want.  DOS or Ghost 10 will see the drives in order of the partitions, not the order you assigned the letters in Windows.  If that is the case, your G:\ in Windows could easily be E:\ in Ghost.

Hopefully Nightowl will stop by this post and confirm my anaylsis or shed some more light on it.  He seems to be good at this type of issue.

By the way, I love the theme on your desktop in the screen shot.  Where did you get that theme and how did you apply it?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 7:46pm

Quote:
"... I'm using Ghost 2003. I came to the point where I can choose my destination partition/folder for my new image.  When I want to choose my G: drive that is labeled as GH_BACKUP then it isn't there in the dropdown box..."

Carefully read the
entire
thread at the URL below:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10828...

Quote:
"... So I was afraid of overwriting data that was actually at E.  Should I change something so it would become G:\[GH_BACKUP] or don't I have to be afraid of screwing things up?..."

Not sure this will be helpful, but when using DOS boot disks (for Norton Ghost 2003 or any other non-interactive application) on my Dell Dimension 8300, Drive C: is the first partition encountered that is in the FAT32 file system format.

Note that on the Hitachi 60GB internal physical HDD of the Dell Dimension 8300 (on the right in the illustration below) the partition formatted as FAT32 is designated logical Drive G: in Windows XP,
but is revealed as Drive C: in MS-DOS
; furthermore, for the Maxtor 40GB HDD in an external enclosure kit, the second partiton is formatted as FAT32 and designated logical Drive I: in Windows XP,
but is revealed as Drive D: in MS-DOS
:

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 9:35am

Killerbee

Quote:
I didn't dare to start making an image with ghost because my G drive with label GH_BACKUP was in the dropdown box suddenly called E:\[GH_BACKUP].

DOS does not *see* NTFS partitions, so it will not assign drive letters during boot--only FAT partitions will get drive letters.  Each time you boot, DOS assigns drive letters based on the order it *sees* the partitions.

So, your NTFS partitions D:\ and E:\ that are seen in Windows will not be mounted by DOS--and that means your *GH_BACKUP* partition will be assigned two drive letters lower than what would be expected in Windows.

That's why it's a good idea to *label* your partitions as you have to help identify them when using Ghost in DOS.  And it's a good idea to make your various partitions different sizes (and have a list of those sizes written down so you can refer to it  Wink ), because in some Ghost screens, you will not see the partition labels--and the different sizes can help you sort out which partition is which!

Your NTFS will not be seen in DOS, but once Ghost loads--Ghost will *see* NTFS partitions--but will not have drive letters assigned because DOS will not have assigned drive letters.  Ghost will list them by drive number and partition number--so like this:  1:1 (drive #1, partition #1), 1:2 (drive #1, partition #2), 2:3 (drive #2, partition #3), etc.

So your Windows D:\ should be 1:2 in Ghost, and your E:\ in Windows should be 2:1 in Ghost.

If you have a lot of partitions, then you need to worry about that *Drop Down Menu* bug that El_Pescador has mentioned above.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Killerbee

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 2:04pm

MrMagoo wrote on Feb 11th, 2006 at 5:51pm:
By the way, I love the theme on your desktop in the screen shot.  Where did you get that theme and how did you apply it?

Here ya go: http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/invader.aspx. You need the download link on your right, that says: "Invader with AlienGUIse Theme Manager" (66MB). They sell some nice comps to if your into gaming aswell!!!!  Grin

IP Logged

Killerbee

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 2:26pm

First of all thank you for replying all to my post. But i still got some questions or need some confirmations before I proceed and to be sure I won't %^$@ up anything!!!!  Grin

NightOwl wrote on Feb 12th, 2006 at 9:35am:
Killerbee
DOS does not *see* NTFS partitions, so it will not assign drive letters during boot--only FAT partitions will get drive letters.  Each time you boot, DOS assigns drive letters based on the order it *sees* the partitions.

So, your NTFS partitions D:\ and E:\ that are seen in Windows will not be mounted by DOS--and that means your *GH_BACKUP* partition will be assigned two drive letters lower than what would be expected in Windows.

This is something I already thought to be the case and I'm glad you are confirming that thought. It is indeed correct that only my C, G and F are FAT partitions. So according to Ghost they would become C, D and E (if I'am correct). Besides this, would it always be a smart idea to put the image on a FAT partition so it can be accessed in DOS i.e. when Windows gets screwed?

That's why it's a good idea to *label* your partitions as you have to help identify them when using Ghost in DOS.

I just followed your guide which has a hint of labelling your partitions.  Wink Grin I think it also works better for yourself, to distinquish which drive is what.

And it's a good idea to make your various partitions different sizes (and have a list of those sizes written down so you can refer to it  Wink ), because in some Ghost screens, you will not see the partition labels--and the different sizes can help you sort out which partition is which!

Here you are referring to the screen in Ghost where you have to choose the source drive or not? In this screen you partitions are labelled with numbers.

Your NTFS will not be seen in DOS, but once Ghost loads--Ghost will *see* NTFS partitions--but will not have drive letters assigned because DOS will not have assigned drive letters.  Ghost will list them by drive number and partition number--so like this:  1:1 (drive #1, partition #1), 1:2 (drive #1, partition #2), 2:3 (drive #2, partition #3), etc.

So your Windows D:\ should be 1:2 in Ghost, and your E:\ in Windows should be 2:1 in Ghost.

This is totally correct, I guess. Cause I indeed saw thos 1:2 (D partition on disk one) and 2:1 (E partition on disk 2). That's also a reason why I got confused. But are you got or something because you all know this already?!?  Shocked Grin

If you have a lot of partitions, then you need to worry about that *Drop Down Menu* bug that El_Pescador has mentioned above.

I read the through the link El_Pescador posted but I don't understand what he actually means by all the things that are written there. I just think this "bug" has nothing to do with me since I only got 5 partitions.

So the thing I need some confirmation about is....
can I just create that image on E:\[GH_BACKUP] like Ghost is calling that partition without overwriting any data on my E (NTFS) partition? Thanks in advance and again I'd like to mention that I'm glad there are some peepz taking the effort for making such a fabulous guide. It's almost like a bible to me. So then you must be god?!?  Wink Grin

PS. I tried to register but I didn't got any confirmation mail. Is this because I'm using a hotmail account?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 5:31pm

Killerbee

Quote:
Besides this, would it always be a smart idea to put the image on a FAT partition so it can be accessed in DOS i.e. when Windows gets screwed?

If using Ghost 2003, this does not matter--Ghost 2003 will allow access to NTFS partitions--even *hidden* ones, to either save to or restore from images on a NTFS partition.  You can test it out by saving an image to the NTFS partition--and then performing an integrity test on that image--if all goes well--then you are having no NTFS access problems.

Quote:
I read the through the link El_Pescador posted but I don't understand what he actually means by all the things that are written there.

Simply put--the drop down menu box shows a *scroll* bar on the right side--if using the mouse pointer, you can highlite any of the partitions/drives listed, but if you have more partitions/drives than will fit on that drop down menu listing--and you try to *click and hold* on the scroll bar--you will not be able to bring up the other partitions/drives that *off the menu*--you have to use the *up and down* arrows on the keyboard.

Quote:
So the thing I need some confirmation about is.... can I just create that image on E:\[GH_BACKUP] like Ghost is calling that partition without overwriting any data on my E (NTFS) partition?

That's correct--you will not be writing anything to the Windows seen NTFS E:\ drive--it will be the 2:1 partition and you have to point to that to write an image to it.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Killerbee

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 5:26am

Thank you very much!!!! I will give it a try this evening to see how and if it works. Hopefully I will do everything right?!?

But how is it about the registering thingy. It isn't possible using a hotmail account, is it?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:37am

Killerbee

Quote:
But how is it about the registering thingy. It isn't possible using a hotmail account, is it?

Don't know what the problem there is--I've posted a message to Rad--he has just transitioned to a new server this week and you are the second person to mention a problem with registering.

IP Logged

Killerbee

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 4:51pm

I just tried Norton Ghost today. First with a kinda test partition which I also tried to recover so I know if it worked and how the revovering tool works. Well, everything ended up quiet nice. And last I tried to make a image of C with succes. And I started to realize how handy Ghost can be with recovering your OS. It also doens't take very long (about 5 min. for imaging 7 GB) in relation to the effort you're saving of installing a brand new and shiny OS. So....again many thanks!!!!

IP Logged

Killerbee

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 7:26pm

I just read some posts on the forum and this raised a question. In this thread: http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11377..., there is something mentioned about a Norton Ghost Recovery CD. Is this cd only necessary when you are using Ghost v10 or is it necessary in any case? I have at this moment the Ghost boot up disk to boot up with pc-dos and use the Ghost program. But will this still work if I would get the same problem as the guy in the link above?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:13pm

Killerbee

Quote:
there is something mentioned about a Norton Ghost Recovery CD.

Only applies to Ghost 9.x and 10.x--unless you create your own bootable optical media for DOS Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print