Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bad Sectors (Read 13409 times)
jf38081
Dude

Here we go again...

Bad Sectors
Feb 12th, 2006 at 11:25am

Does anyone know how to fix bad sectors?  I was trying to backup my harddrive using Ghost 9.0 and True Image 8.0 and both give me a bad sector error.  

This is a dell dimension 3000 running xp pro.  I have the operating system installed onto a internal ide, partitioned into 2 drives, c: and f:  I backup to a usb hard drive (g:)

I do not have a current backup image.  I formatted the external because I thought that maybe it was causing the problems.  

I tried to uninstall and then reinstall Ghost, but the same thing keeps happening.  

I have attached screenshots from both applications containing the errors.

The only other thing I can think of, is that I believe this started after I deleted the asp.net user from control panel -> users

I reinstalled asp.net and replaced the asp.net user, but am still getting the errors.

I have also tried a defrag and that too did not help.

tierror

ghosterror

Anybody have any other idears?  This is a learning opportunity for me, and everyone else, too.

Thanks,
Jim

IP Logged

jf38081
Dude

Here we go again...

Re: Bad Sectors
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 11:33am

hmm - anyway to edit that?  a couple things didn't come out the way i expected.

1 - the smiley was supposed to say g:

2 - the code for the images, was supposed to be a "bit" more subtle.

Thanks again
J

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:10pm

Jim,

To fix bad sectors you have to run chkdsk:

Start/run/cmd

When the window opens:  chkdsk c: /r

You will get prompted to run when Windows restarts, so say yes to that.  The /r parameter will cause chkdsk to read all sectors and try to recover any bad ones.  (try chkdsk /?  to see all options)

You should also repeat with all your other drives to be sure.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 4:28pm

jf38081,

There is a Dell diagnostic partition (or Dell resource CD) that allows you to run a HD test. If the test fails then Dell will give you another HD if you are still under warranty.

In the meantime try creating another image of the C drive to the F drive, not to the external HD. If it fails try the Advanced option of "Ignore bad sectors during copy".  After the image is created, move it to the G drive.

Does chkdsk report bad sectors on your C, F and G drives?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 6:02pm

jf38081

Quote:
hmm - anyway to edit that?

When you are composing your message, down below the message typing box there is this check box:  
Disable Smilies:

Or, you can add a space after the *:* like this ( g: ) rather than this (g:) (Hint:  if you hit the *Quote* button for a particular posting, you can see the actual *coding* that was used to create that particular appearance on the final posting).

Quote:
2 - the code for the images, was supposed to be a "bit" more subtle.

This forum software appears to use slightly non-standard web page coding for some of it's features.  Again, on the message composing page, there's two lines of *
Add YABBC tags:
* above the message composition box--one is for *Insert Image* and it uses this coding (put the URL in the middle of the two code symbols) :  

This is what I use to list links:

[url=ADDRESS HERE]
TITLE HERE
[/url]

(I replaced the *[* with *{* in front of *size=3]* and *u]* so you can see the whole line--again, if you hit *Quote*, you can see the actual coding--I keep a WordPad document with frequently used coding and links handy when replying:

[url=ADDRESS HERE]{size=3]{u]TITLE HERE[/u][/size][/url]

You should have above your posting, the option *Modify* next to the *Quote* option--you can go back and change something that's not to your liking.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

jf38081
Dude

Here we go again...

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:02am

Thanks for all the great responses!  You guys are so fast.  It was the chkdsk /R c: that fixed it.   Actually I also did chkdsk /R f: to get both partitions on startup. 

Thanks for all the help!
J

IP Logged

jf38081
Dude

Here we go again...

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:05am

In fact, I'm not sure why I have 2 partitions.  It seemed like a good idea when I was installing, but now I have twice as much to worry about, and I'm not real sure what the benefit is. I did move my documents to the f:, maybe thats what it was.
J

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 11:56am

Smaller partitions are more efficent at storing data and take less time to defrag.  Choosing a partition size is a much discussed topic, but there some advantages to using smaller partitions.

On the other hand, storage is cheap and NTFS partitions can accept very large partition sizes, so make the partitions as large as you find useful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print