Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
norton ghost 2003 problems (Read 7411 times)
ll

norton ghost 2003 problems
Feb 12th, 2006 at 11:31pm

I need help, I tried backing up my comp to a dvd using norton ghost backup, norton rebots my comp, then I get gray window with a blue background saying norton ghost 2003, and I get the hour glass as my cursor after that my computer froze, now I am unable to reboot my computer, can someone please help me.....

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: norton ghost 2003 problems
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:40am

ll

Sounds like you are setting up the Ghost procedure from within Windows.  When you do this, Ghost creates a *virtual partition* in order to complete the backup by booting to DOS.  Ghost changes the Master Boot Record to boot from the *virtual partition*--and on some systems which apparently are not *compatible* with the *virtual partition* setup--you get *trapped* in that *virtual partition*.

Here are some references on correcting the problem:

How to use GhReboot

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

Most folks find that they can use the DOS version of Ghost 2003 that you load by a DOS boot disk without problems even though the Windows version of Ghost 2003 with its *virtual partition* does not work properly.

If you search the forum for *virtual partition*, you will probably find other threads of folks who had the same or similar problem.  Here's one example:

winXP frozen at Ghost2003 (PC DOS) background

Questions?  Report back with how things turned out.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Luis

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:06am

I tried following those steps, and I think they are right when they say that im stuck in the virtual partition, but still cannot figure out, need help

IP Logged

luis

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:35am

I am stuck in this part
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002102214015625?

I finished step 2 and it gives me this
A:\>

I tried step 3 but I cannot get it to worrk, need help Embarrassed

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:17am

luis

The reference you indicated has several different methods that have *step 2 and step 3*--which one are you following?

The example that's shown in the first method:  *To run GhReboot from a CD-ROM disc*, shows this
sample
path to the *ghreboot.exe* program (if you have the Norton Ghost 2003 installation CD) :

E
:\support\ghreboot.exe

Your optical drive should be assigned a drive letter during the boot sequence--it may not be *E:\*--you need to substitute the drive letter that your system assigns to your optical drive during boot.

Did you get any response or error message after you tried *step 3*?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

luis

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 10:44am

I tried to reboot from my norton ghost 2003 disk, unless I did not set the reboot to the right drive, I will try again when I get home. id hate to loose all my pictures and files Embarrassed

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 10:59am

luis

Quote:
norton ghost 2003 disk

Installation CD disc--or floppy boot disk?

If you're using a floppy boot disk, you need to have the *ghreboot.exe* on that floppy disk--or if it will not fit--put it on a second floppy disk--and after booting with the boot floppy--eject that boot disk, and put in the second floppy with the *ghreboot.exe* on it and type *ghreboot.exe* (without the *'s) at the A:\ prompt.

Quote:
unless I did not set the reboot to the right drive

Are you using some other HDD utility to change the boot partition other than *GhReboot.exe*?

GhReboot.exe runs *automatically*, removes the *virtual partition* and should change the Master Boot Record and Partition Table to point to your original OS boot partition (if all works as it's supposed to).

IP Logged

luis

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 3:59pm

I still cant get this comp to work,   Embarrassed

IP Logged

luis

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 10:38am

Grin  I finally figured it out, I resolved the problem by using my friends startup disc, the start up disc will kick you back to the windows partition. Grin

IP Logged

Zigzagcom
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2006 at 11:36am

Hi, I was using Ghost 2003 and had the same error. Nice to find a solution to this vexing problem.
The "ghreboot" executable in the virtual partition was 225 KB in size, and the the one I downloaded from one of the links above was 175 KB.
I also created a boot floppy from within Win XP and then copied the "new/alternate" ghreboot.exe to the floppy. Finally, Win 2000 booted up again.

In the process, I also accidentally ran ghreboot.exe in my downloads folder, which had the effect of not being able to delete from within explorer. I opened a command prompt, cd'd into the directory and deleted it with "del ghreboot.exe".
So, after a bit of panic, all is well and got a nice adrenaline rush to boot, tongue in cheek. Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print