Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using SCSI and ATA drives together? (Read 2295 times)
Bill Holcomb

Using SCSI and ATA drives together?
Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:30pm

Recently purchased a Dell 1400SC server at an auction.  I came with a RAID card (PERT) installed and has two 18GB SCSI drives.  I know nothing about SCSI and haven't pulled the drives out to check the specifics.

My question is can I run ATA drives off the motherboad while using the SCSI drives?  The SCSI drives are set up as mirror and I'm running Windows Server 2003.

I need more storage (using it as a file server) but SCSI drives are too expensive and I have a few large ATA drives laying around.

Thanks.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Using SCSI and ATA drives together?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:09am

There is no reason why you can't run SCSI and ATA or SATA in the same computer.  Most people who do that use SCSI for their OS because it's fast, and use the bigger, cheaper ATA for storage.  You might have to play with it for a while to get the computer to boot from the SCSI, but it's not difficult.

The only problem with SCSI (besides cost) is its picky nature.  It has to be terminated properly and all that.  Personally, I prefer to run SATA drives in my RAID sets.  SATA has nearly kept up with the speed of SCSI the last year or two, and it is far cheaper and fool-proof.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print