Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
External SATA HD not seen in Windows (Read 17538 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

External SATA HD not seen in Windows
Feb 20th, 2006 at 6:44am

My external enclosure arrived today. A Vantec NexStar 3 with USB and SATA outlets. I fitted a SATA HD, plugged into the motherboard via eSATA cable, enabled that SATA port in the BIOS and the HD was noted in the BIOS. From a Partition Magic boot CD I partitioned the HD. My three HD's were showing in PM. I booted to Windows and the external HD wasn't present in My Computer, PM or Disk Management. I tried different SATA ports on the motherboard but I can't get it to show in Windows.

If I use the USB outlet on the enclosure, the HD does show in Windows. It's just the SATA outlet I can't get working.

I hope there is an easy solution.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: External SATA HD not seen in Windows
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 7:13am

Sounds like Windows just isn't seeing that SATA port.  I don't have much experience with that, but I would start by updating the chipset drivers for your motherboard and see if you can find an updated SATA controller driver.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 8:08am

MrMagoo, brilliant. I just upgraded my controller driver to Intel Matrix Manager 5.5.0.1035, released in January. Rebooted, found new hardware message, and there is the HD.

Just before I read your reply I booted into BartPE and the HD was seen in BartPE. In retrospect I'm using 5.5.0.1035 drivers in BartPE.

Thank you.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 8:47am

Brian, you have one of the first external SATA hard drive enclosures I've read about.  Any idea yet whether Ghost 9 or 10 sees your external drive with the Recovery Environment boot cd?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 11:20am

Brian wrote on Feb 20th, 2006 at 8:08am:
MrMagoo, brilliant. I just upgraded my controller driver to Intel Matrix Manager 5.5.0.1035, released in January. Rebooted, found new hardware message, and there is the HD.

Glad I could help.  Have you done any benchmarking to see what kind of transfer rates you are getting on that thing?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 4:47pm

John, El_Pescador told me about them. He seems to have been using one (?more than one) for ages.

I booted to my Ghost 9 CD and the external HD wasn't seen in the RE. I booted to the Ghost 9 CD and this time used a floppy with the latest Intel drivers (5.5.0.1035). The external HD was now seen from the RE.

It's interesting as this HD was my primary internal HD yesterday. I bought a 320 GB SATA2 HD which is now my primary internal HD. I have a second internal HD as well, same as yesterday.

MrMagoo, benchmarking on the external HD is the same as when it was an internal HD (HDTune 2.52). Real world testing showed 40 MB/sec transfer (transferring a 2000 MB file from internal to external HD).

One aspect that concerns me is the computer freezes after transferring 3 to 4 GB to the external HD while in SATA mode. This has happened several times and I have to press the power button to shut down. If I run the HD in USB mode there are no problems. I have the latest chipset and controller drivers but the computer still freezes after transferring a few GB.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 9:22pm

Brian wrote on Feb 20th, 2006 at 4:47pm:
One aspect that concerns me is the computer freezes after transferring 3 to 4 GB to the external HD while in SATA mode. This has happened several times and I have to press the power button to shut down. If I run the HD in USB mode there are no problems. I have the latest chipset and controller drivers but the computer still freezes after transferring a few GB.

That's a tricky one.  DMA is the only thing I can think of that might be the culprit, and I don't even know where to tell you to start.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 9:40pm

The error message is "Windows - Delayed Write Failed".

There is a lot in Google about this error but not really helpful so far. I tried earlier SATA drivers but they didn't help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:46pm

El_Pescador,

Any thoughts on this situation. You got me into it.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:12pm

Brian wrote on Feb 20th, 2006 at 9:40pm:
The error message is "Windows - Delayed Write Failed".

There is a lot in Google about this error but not really helpful so far. I tried earlier SATA drivers but they didn't help.

Brian, have you looked or seen any errors in the System or Application Event Log around the same time?

How about this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321733

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293842/en-us

Any references to MRxSmb in the event logs?

I understand there can be many causes, but I once resolved a MrxSmb event id problem by installing Microsoft KB884020 fix.

http://www.tangent-systems.com/support/delayedwrite.html

Click on download link in this document for fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884020/en-us

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:20pm

Brian wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:46pm:
"... El_Pescador,

Any thoughts on this situation.  You got me into it..."

Nary a clue.  Regrettably, I am pretty much on the sidelines for with the exception of a Dell Dimension 8100 coupled to an external Iomega 80GB USB HDD, all of my remaining gear - those items not ruined by Katrina's floodwaters, I might add - resides in "deep mothballs" to escape the incredibly pervasive dust associated with renovating a "slab-on-grade" gutted house.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:07pm

I tried it again. My first test was to copy 3909 MB of MP3s. It took 84 seconds so that’s 47 MB/sec and not bad. But when I tried to copy a large image to the ext HD, the computer froze after around 2 GB and had to be powered off. There was no error message this time, just a freeze. I tried twice more with the large image and it froze, again without an error message. So maybe it can accept multiple 4 MB files but not multi GB files. I didn’t try again with the MP3’s. There were no errors in the Event Viewer.

John, I looked at your links but they seem to be referring to a networked server situation. I tried the registry change to disable SMB signing in a Workstation but it didn’t help. The other registry settings suggested were what I had already.

EP, I’m sorry to hear that you are still a long way from the comfort you enjoyed in the past. I miss your posts and I have no intention of having more external enclosures than you.

I’ll use my enclosure in USB mode. At least I have an enclosure that holds a SATA HD so that is useful. Actually using mine in SATA mode is more time consuming than USB mode. Because I only connect it once or twice a week I have the SATA port OFF in the BIOS otherwise I have to press F1 with every boot to accept the error of not finding a device. So to use SATA I have to shutdown, enable the port in the BIOS and then boot back into Windows. USB connection can be done without shutting down so even though USB transfer is only half the speed of SATA the copy operation is probably shorter with USB. At least that is my rationalization.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:28pm

Quote:
John, I looked at your links but they seem to be referring to a networked server situation. I tried the registry change to disable SMB signing in a Workstation but it didn’t help. The other registry settings suggested were what I had already.

Yes, the links/case I referred to related to delayed write and network errors during high throughput.

However, I had a similar problem on my home desktop pc with the motherboard USB interface.  Similar problems with delayed write and other problems copying large files via USB to external USB2 hard drive.

I resolved it by buying a separate PCI card that has 4 USB2 ports on it.  Never had another problem after that.

Yours sounds like some SATA hardware bridge problem or software problem with the bridge interface between XP and the SATA bridge.

Do you have native SATA controller on your motherboard or are you using a PCI card - SATA controller card?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:35pm

I have four SATA ports on the motherboard.

El_Pescador said that Windows treats external SATA drives as internal (probably quoting him out of context). But there is something different with this eSATA connection as it required ver 5 Intel drivers to see the external SATA HD. The internal HD's were seen with ver 4 drivers.

EP, do you use eSATA connections?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:05pm

Brian wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:35pm:
"... EP, do you use eSATA connections?..."

I use conventional (SATA 150) SATA connectors everywhere.  My Dell Dimension 8100 desktop has a PCI-to-SATA card while my Dell Dimension 8300 has two non-RAID SATA ports on the motherboard.

As an aside, I have experienced "freezes" with Norton Ghost 2003 performing "disk-to-image" Backups to USB 2.0 external enclosure kits.  Typically, these would occur as either the second or third spanned image was completed only to typically leave six to eight spanned images undone.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print