HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DVD Burning Queries! (Read 7108 times)
Ivanov Yezinki

DVD Burning Queries!
Feb 21st, 2006 at 7:10am

Hi there,

I got a new Sony DVD burner installed on my machine, bundled with Nero 6.6 & Roxio 8 Home Suite.

Use Ghost 2003 for imaging & my OS is XP Pro e SP2.
I have a few queries going in my mind & at times confusing me.

Please don’t laugh at my stupid queries, as am new to DVD image transfer & burning.

1. What do I exactly do to transfer the created image on a drive to a DVD?

2. Which is better a better DVD burning software Nero or Roxio?

3. Difference between R & RW I can make out so about Double layer, is double layer & Dual layer the same thing?

4. What’s the difference between DVD+R & DVD-R & like wise DVD+RW & DVD-RW?

5. At what speeds should the DVDRs (+ -) & DVDRWs (+ -) be burnt for a good output.

I apologize again about my queries & poor English.

Hoping to hear from you.

Regards.

Ivanov Yezinki.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: DVD Burning Queries!
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 9:26am

Ivanov Yezinki

No *laughing* here--for the most part  Wink --we've all been new to these things ourselves over the years.

1.  Usually, you just open your favorite burning program and copy files from the HDD to the DVD--following the steps of the burning program--usually selecting the source files from the browsing box on top, and adding them to the DVD destination box on the bottom screen.

With Ghost 2003, in the DOS version, you can use the *Standard Boot Disk* to access the Ghost image files only if you used Ghost to do the image burning directly to your optical media.

If you first save an image to a HDD, and then burn it to optical media, then you need to use the *CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost* in order for Ghost to correctly work with the image files.

You can use *Ghost Explorer* (in Windows) to change the size of the image files so they fit better on a DVD or CD (Ghost 2003 max file size is approx 2 GB--a DOS file size limitation--Ghost will *span* multiple files if needed to complete the image set).  If Ghost burns the images to optical media directly--then Ghost adjusts the image file size to *best fit* sizes.  If you know ahead of time that you will be burning the images to DVD later, then you can start Ghost with a *split* switch that tells Ghost to create image files in the size you have specified.  So to fill a CD, you might use *ghost.exe -split=650*.

2.  Have not used either--so no personal knowledge.

3.  *R* is one use media, and *RW* is rewriteable--it can be erased and re-used.  *double layer* and *Dual layer* appear to be the same thing.

4.  The *-* and *+* are different, completing burning formats developed by competing companies--most newer, better quality optical drives are designed to handle whichever.  *R* and *RW*--see #3 above.

5.  I let the burning program set the defaults after it *looks at* the abilities of the optical drive and the designated speed of the optical media--but, you can over-ride those--but, you are more likely to have problems as you get further away from *default values*--now you are in the realm of experimenting with your particular set up to see what works on your system--it's hard to make any recommendations here.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Ivanov Yezinki

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 2:22pm

Thanks Night Owl for your in depth response.

1. In your personal experience, which is a better media *+* OR *–*, in case of either *R* or *RW*?

2. What burning software do you use if you care to share?

3. Would you care to give yr comments on the following:

"Sony’s new DVD burner incorporates new 8.5GB DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+R Double Layer burning and dual format 4.7GB DVD burning. Double/Dual Layer discs let you store up to 8.5GB on a single DVD+R Double Layer or DVD-R Dual Layer disc, giving you plenty of room for more video and audio entertainment, digital photo archives, and information storage. DVD+R burning speed is a blazing 16X max, burning a full DVD in approximately 6 minutes. Double Layer and Dual Layer Recording speed is 4X max. DVD+RW speeds are 8X max for DVD+RW and 6X max for DVD-RW respectively. Ultra fast 48X max CD-R burning means you no longer need a separate CD Burner for good performance. What hasn’t changed is the DRU-810A comes bundled with an unbeatable Nero 6.6 software suite and also includes a black front panel to match black colored PCs. "

Regards.

Ivanov.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 2:45pm

Ivanov Yezinki

1.  I use whichever media is fastest on my optical drive. 

I use RW media for test burns and R media for *permanent* storage.

2.  I have the Roxio software that came with my Plextor drives over the years--versions 4, 5 , and 6.  These versions are *crippled* versions (often referred to as OEM versions) that are included with optical drives--but usually not all *features* are supported in these versions--you usually have to purchase the *full* version from Roxio or Nero for all the available burning features.  The best of the three is version 5.xx for supporting the most features.

And I have the OEM suite of Nero 6.xx--this version is very *crippled* compared to Roxio.

3.  Looks like Sony's latest and greatest optical drive--usually gets good reviews.  I personally use Plextor because they have always shown the greatest overall compatibility with my system and software--not necessarily the fastest on the block--but not having to hassle with compatibility has been my personal main goal--my latest model is the PX-708A--which is now a couple years old.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 3:33pm

Ivanov, here's a couple websites to get you started, but you can find others by searching with Google:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/

http://www.videohelp.com/

Everything you wanted to know and more . . .

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print