Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Save & Restore (Read 81468 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Norton Save & Restore
Reply #15 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 10:50am

CNET says "Symantec intends to keep Norton Ghost a separate product on the market."

Good to know.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brewser
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 5:42pm

Quote:
Norton Save & Restore
CNET Review

Reviewed by: Robert Vamosi
Review date: 3/21/06
Release date: 3/1/06

The review is right about the lack of support. I have been trying to get online support for a week now and have sat at the you are next in queue screen for up to 2 hours before closing the window.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - May 2nd, 2006 at 2:03pm

PC World declares (27 APR 2006):

Quote:
The popular Norton Ghost imaging and backup program is dead.  Long live Norton Save & Restore -- a direct successor that completes the degeekification that Symantec initiated with Ghost 10 a mere six months ago.

Based on this report, it appears that the successor to Ghost is in fact Norton Save & Restore.

IP Logged

idig
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 5:16pm

Greetings all,

I have several high end desktops with NVIDIA Raid 0  (stripping) had to have for speed.  With Raid 0.. ghost 9 and ghost 2003 don't seem to work. Also Ghost 10 has note on the symantec site that it does not support raid...as with other versions.  So I was very suprised that norton save and restores supports raid 0 and raid 1.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/docid/2006032908034562?Open&...

Another problem is my maxtor USB drive had no DOS or Safe mode drivers...guess what I am told norton save and restore now works well with Maxtor...even uses one touch button...from Symantec marketing.

However, I am too old to believe everything I read.  Has anyone tried to do a restore with Raid 0? If so what happened? Any hints?

One of our desktops is a Dell XPS 600 (which we don't like)
it has Nvidia Raid 0....has anybody had success imaging hard drives with this configuration...each drive is 250GB.

In theory nice to see Symantec support raid as most desktop users are getting more advanced and want this config.

Thanks!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 5:36pm

idig,

Thanks for that information. From the web page...

Quote:
Supported RAID levels

Norton Save & Restore and Norton Ghost 10.0 support the following hardware RAID levels:

* RAID level 0
    * RAID level 1
    * RAID level 5

Norton Ghost 9.0 supports the following hardware RAID levels:

* RAID level 0
    * RAID level 5

Norton Save & Restore and Norton Ghost 10.0/9.0 do not support any software RAID levels or nested RAID levels, such as RAID level 0+1.

I have no experience with RAID.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #20 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 11:37am

Can somebody tell me how Symantec packaged the ability to back-up individual folders in/with Norton Save & Restore.

Is it coupled into the same user interface as that used by Ghost? (more elegant option, offering multiple options) .. or is it included with a separate utility that you launch separately? (piecemeal approach, 2 prgms bundled in one box).

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 11:51am

Rad, I do not have a copy of Norton Save & Restore (yet).  But, you'll find a collection of screen images here that ought to give you a good feel for the user interface and integration.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #22 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 1:19pm

thanks, pleo.

slow download.

got it. lots of screenshots.

from the looks of this one, it appears they've incorporated a more elegant, all-in-one user interface.

http://ghost.radified.com/screens/nsr_main_backup.jpg

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #23 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:10pm

Rad wrote on Aug 9th, 2006 at 11:37am:
Can somebody tell me how Symantec packaged the ability to back-up individual folders in/with Norton Save & Restore.
Is it coupled into the same user interface as that used by Ghost? (more elegant option, offering multiple options) .. or is it included with a separate utility that you launch separately? (piecemeal approach, 2 programs bundled in one box).

Norton S&R adds a file/folder (or just extension like .doc) backup capability all within the same umbrella.  It is coupled into the same user interface.  You can basically define either an image backup or a file/folder backup.  As long as Norton S&R manages the backups, then (in theory) you could restore a document by a given date, and Norton S&R will figure out which backup (image and/or file/folder backup) has the version you desired and then restore it.

File/Folder backup can also be triggered by events.  Here is info from the manual:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/norton_save_restore/1.0...

Norton Save and Restore can run a backup when:
Any application is installed
Any user logs on to the computer
Any user logs off from the computer
The data added to a drive exceeds an amount (in megabytes) you specify (unavailable for file and folder backups)
The Maxtor OneTouch external hard drive button is pushed
An Outbreak Alert occurs (only if you have Norton Internet Security 2006 installed)

If you are using Image Recovery Points and taking incrementals every night then you would be protected for the most part, in my opinion.  But the event triggering can provide some additional critical file/folder backups if that is your issue.

The bottom line, as should be obvious from the title Norton Save & Restore, is that this release (which I call Ghost 11) is clearly marketing to the "average" user who doesn't want to think about backup.  I guess it could be used also as a data-backup methodology so that all your pictures or videos are backed up to one drive and your full images are backed up to a different drive.

What did concern me is that the data backups were in a Ghost format that I couldn't read myself.  That's why I like data backups to be in the same native (or zip) format as the original data.  Just my personal paranoia.  And again, the average user may not care about this.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:27pm

Thanks Ghost4me. It looks like you are one of the few to have used this app.

With the Files and Folders backup. Does it create a new single file each time it backs up or does it append to a master file? What is the Ghost file extension?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #25 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:38pm

Brian wrote on Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:27pm:
With the Files and Folders backup. Does it create a new single file each time it backs up or does it append to a master file? What is the Ghost file extension?

No, it is not a new single file.  You tell it where to store the file/folder backups ( e.g. f:\mydatabackup ) and then in subfolders are some really strange file and folder names, nothing like the original.  I can't remember the extension, but I do remember I couldn't figure out what was in there.  It wasn't appended to a master file, but additional file names that created.  I assume it mapped into the Ghost master database directory (wherever that is).

Don't forget that you can tell S&R to keep backups of ALL your .jpg or .doc files, so for that I assume Norton monitors or scans your pc looking for them.

It was too mysterious to me, so I abandoned Ghost Save & Restore file/folder backups.  I had originally intended to use it every day in addition to weekly image backups, but abandonded the Save & Restore data backup approach.

Maybe someone else has a different/better experience.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:43pm

The more Symantec try to simplify Ghost, the more difficult it becomes to understand.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #27 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 6:58pm

Brian wrote on Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:43pm:
The more Symantec try to simplify Ghost, the more difficult it becomes to understand.

I do like the idea of presssing the Maxtor One Touch backup button and taking a backup, although I never tested that feature myself.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 12:17pm

“The more Symantec tries to simplify Ghost, the more difficult it becomes to understand.”

As Ghost4me noted, it would be wise to remember that most forum members are not representative of the target or typical audience for any of the Norton products – including Norton Save & Restore.  At the risk of hubris, this forum attracts readers who are “above average” in terms of computer literacy.

Ease of understanding, I believe, is not a goal that Symantec is seeking to achieve in the Norton series – in the sense of allowing transparency or visibility to the ‘behind-the-scenes’ working of the product (e.g., how backed-up files are stored, cataloged, etc.).  Rather, Symantec is (properly) focusing upon ease of use in an attempt to make the complicated and convoluted world of backup more broadly available to the PC community.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print